Rangers add Golson, trade Mayberry and sell Loe's rights

Moderators: Texas Chuck, HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,165

Rangers add Golson, trade Mayberry and sell Loe's rights 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:32 pm

It was a busy Thursday for the Rangers. They traded one former first-round pick for another, are preparing to send a pitcher to Japan and added four players to the 40-man roster.

Thursday was the deadline for teams to finalize their rosters in preparation for next month's Rule 5 draft. No one on the 40-man roster can be selected in the draft.

To create an additional spot, the Rangers agreed to sell the rights to right-handed pitcher Kameron Loe to the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks of the Pacific League in Japan. General manager Jon Daniels said only paperwork remains to complete the deal.

The Rangers then traded minor league outfielder John Mayberry Jr. to Philadelphia for minor league outfielder Greg Golson. Mayberry was the Rangers' first-round pick (19th overall) in 2005, and Golson was Philadelphia's first-round pick in 2004 (21st overall).

The Rangers designated Loe and Wes Littleton for assignment and added infielder Jose Vallejo, right-handed pitchers Omar Poveda, Willie Eyre and John Bannister to the 40-man roster.

"We really tried to talk to as many people as possible and come to the best possible decision," Daniels said. "You're looking at the guy's total ability and upside. Does he have the chance to impact the big league club this year or in the future? Is he a guy that's likely to get claimed?"

Loe and Mayberry said they are looking forward to fresh starts. For Loe, going to Japan means a guaranteed contract – $900,000 for the first year and, if the club picks up his option, $1 million for the second year – and a chance to be a starter again.

Loe spent parts of five seasons with the Rangers and was a reliever last season. He was 13-19 with a 5.08 ERA in 47 starts with Texas.

"I think it's going to be a good move for me," said Loe, 27. "I'm excited about the entire thing. I'm excited about the culture and living in a different country and learning a new language and playing a different style of baseball."

Link

Return to Texas Rangers