Michael Young: 'I told them I wanted to be traded'

Moderators: Texas Chuck, HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,165

Michael Young: 'I told them I wanted to be traded' 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:39 am

"Texas Rangers shortstop Michael Young has asked for a trade after he was told the club wanted him to move to third base this season to make room for 20-year-old shortstop prospect Elvis Andrus.

"I'm not playing third base," Young said. "I'm pretty adamant about my stance. I told them I wanted to be traded.

"The biggest misconception is that I was asked to move to third base. I was never asked. I was flat out told. I was told I was playing third base. I felt that I had absolutely no say. I don't feel like there was any discussion or dialogue about the matter."

Young is under contract through 2013 for about $60 million. He has a full no-trade clause through 2009 but said he's given the Rangers a list of teams to which he would accept a trade.

"At this point in my career, I didn't think it was fair to move," said Young, who has played eight innings at third base, all in 2002. "I reached out to teammates and former teammates and veterans to get their thoughts, and everyone supported me. All I've ever done is think about the team and do what's best by them. But at the same time, when it comes to long-term commitment and respect factor, it should be a two-way street."

General manager Jon Daniels and manager Ron Washington met with Young shortly after the winter meetings in mid-December to tell him of their decision. Daniels said he's exploring trades.

"I'm going forward expecting Michael to be a part of our team in 2009," Daniels said. "Our desire is for Michael to play third base. He has to buy into what we're doing and buy into the concept that we're a better club by getting all of our championship-caliber players lined up. We're going to continue to talk to him and come to a resolution."

Link
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Re: Michael Young: 'I told them I wanted to be traded' 

Post#2 » by catalyst » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:57 pm

Fine. No 3rd. Will you move to 2nd and see if this kid can do it? Kinsler can go to LF. I hate the set ups that mgt makes against players like this.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#3 » by studcrackers » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:30 pm

if they move him to 2nd this organization fails. he has bad range, that wont magically become great when he moves back to 2nd, but he has the arm for 3rd.

kinslers best value is at 2nd, sure he makes the occasional gaffe, but i can deal with that. not to mention you already have 4 outfielders that can play everyday (and boggs isnt a bad 5th OF'er either)

not to mention you still have a hole at 3rd base if young moves to 2nd
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4 » by studcrackers » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:26 pm

well looks like he's agreed to move to 3rd, in the words of tom hicks, 'Great Success'
cmavswin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 222

Post#5 » by cmavswin » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:16 am

To bad Young/Blaylock could'nt split the DH and 3B for half the season. Would keep their bats in the lineup while giving them the rest they needed to play at a high level.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by catalyst » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:32 pm

I wonder if Young can make the move like a long past ranger, Jeff Kunkel. Kunkel had trouble with routine plays at ss, but the more reactive nature of 3rd did him very well. Young makes plays at SS, so maybe he can hack it. I just hope this is not ANOTHER major gaffe by the front office. Maybe I should call it a SNAFU, which has become my fav screw up term.
cmavswin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by cmavswin » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:14 am

Truth be told I for one would like to see Young be a jack of all trades type. Playing 40-2B,50-3B and 30 at short with the rest as a pinch hitter/DH/day off. Doubt he would do it but it sure would be nice.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by studcrackers » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:47 am

for christ sake u act as if he's a bum, he's still a very productive everyday player who dealt with injuries all last year
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by catalyst » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:48 pm

daniels said today that they never considered moving Kinsler to the OF. Thought of 3rd, but never OF. Just have to wait and see. Never a big fan of moving guys to different positions, and young is about the only local success story with all of the ss/2nd guys who were moved to CF.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by studcrackers » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:11 pm

if young doesnt move to 3rd then you create a situation where you move about 3 different guys out of position. well at least if you do what norm's proposing, which is trying to create the leagues worst defense
cmavswin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by cmavswin » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:13 pm

studcrackers wrote:for christ sake u act as if he's a bum, he's still a very productive everyday player who dealt with injuries all last year

No I act as if I want his bat in the lineup 162 games this year but to were he does not get worn down because of the stress he puts his body under.

Return to Texas Rangers