ImageImageImageImage

Teixeira: Will Texas hold him? (Article)

Moderators: Texas Chuck, HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,165

Teixeira: Will Texas hold him? (Article) 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Mon May 28, 2007 3:16 am

http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedit ... orts-print

and another:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... ieces.html

As for the Rangers, they continue to be victims of bad management. Overmatched GM Jon Daniels has some more explaining to do for his $33.75 million signing of Vicente Padilla (5.52 ERA) and his trade of a former first-round draft pick, lefty John Danks, (3.78 ERA) and reliever Nick Masset to the White Sox for Brandon McCarthy (5.82 ERA). The Rangers rank 13th in the AL in ERA and opponents batting average, which has effectively buried them in last place. Now there is a strong likelihood that they will deal Boras client Mark Teixeira - who can be a free agent after next season - at the trading deadline. But can Daniels, who was fleeced by Brewers GM Doug Melvin in the Francisco Cordero/Kevin Mench/Laynce Nix-for-Carlos Lee/Nelson Cruz deal last trading deadline, be trusted to get enough return for his best player? By the way, don't be surprised if Cashman, with a plethora of young pitching now, is first on line at Daniels' doorstep if Teixeira goes on the block.
sideshowking24
Junior
And1: 0

Post#2 » by sideshowking24 » Mon May 28, 2007 4:10 am

Well, as a fan of Daniels, I think it is unfair to bash him like that for getting Padilla and McCarthy the way he did. IMO, Padilla, who had a pretty solid year last year, has been let down by the lack of defense and behind him and lack of run support. Granted he has had his games where he just hasn't pitched well but, I also think he has been very unlucky...
As for McCarthy, its not Daniels' fault that he hasn't pitched up to his potential. Although I didn't want to see Danks go, what he thought he was getting in McCarthy and what we should have seen out of him so far would have been great. And plus, it seems as if McCarthy is finally starting to figure it out. Yes his era is 5.82, but he has pitched significantly better in in May than he did in April posting a line of 3-0, 2.31, .202/.292/.381 minus that last start in which he left the game in the 2nd due to a blister. I don't think you can judge Daniels on the McCarthy for Danks deal just yet.

But anyways... about Tex, I whish there was a way that he could stay in Texas but it seems like the closer we get to the middle of the season, the chances of Tex leaving continue to increase. All I ask is that if he must go, please let it be to any team other than the Yankees... staying out of our division would be great too. And if he does go, I think Daniels is capable of stepping up and getting us a lot in return. At least I hope he is.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#3 » by catalyst » Tue May 29, 2007 4:09 pm

Daniels has been a disaster. Tell me one good trade he has made. Tell me one good signing he has made. There is no time to groom a GM with the line up this team is supposed to have. This is failure, and I hope that Daniels does redeem himself and trades big contracts away for good prospects. Blow it up and start over. I was out there sat night, and that team had no inspiration or spirit.
DDansby123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#4 » by DDansby123 » Wed May 30, 2007 2:48 am

I blame Daniels for not having the guts to really shake things up. He should've traded Tex last offseason (or before), as some of us suggested. Same goes for Young.

But I honestly don't blame Daniels for some of the things that have gone wrong. The Rangers simply find ways to fail, and it's often times the "sure things" that go awry. I mean, did anyone expect the starters to be THIS bad? Did anyone expect the offense to be THIS anemic, particularly Michael Young?

As for the one good deal he's made: Dellucci for Tejeda.

Daniels hasn't done well, but my goodness some of the meltdowns are unpredictable.
DDansby123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#5 » by DDansby123 » Wed May 30, 2007 2:51 am

And, yes, we should trade Tex at the deadline...and Young too.

Return to Texas Rangers