If we don't draft all Starting Pitchers with our picks, I'm gonna kill somebody

Dallas Mavericks: Where Good over Evil Happens
cmavswin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 222

Re: The Draft 

Post#2 » by cmavswin » Mon Jun 4, 2007 1:19 am

sosafan70 wrote:If we don't draft all Starting Pitchers with our picks, I'm gonna kill somebody

Why? they will either blow there elbows out or tear all of their tendons. It is called Rangers destiny. :nonono: The Rangers we are even worse than the Royals!!!!!!
DDansby123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#3 » by DDansby123 » Tue Jun 5, 2007 2:44 am

We've spent a ton of money and picks on pitching and still don't have a whole lot of it. All that time, we've neglected our position player prospects to the point where we really only have a handful that are even decent. Over the past few years, our best prospects have been stuck behind established ML players (e.g., Hafner, Gonzalez, and now Arias).

Bottom line: we need help everywhere.
sideshowking24
Junior
And1: 0

Post#4 » by sideshowking24 » Tue Jun 5, 2007 3:30 am

DDansby123 wrote:We've spent a ton of money and picks on pitching and still don't have a whole lot of it. All that time, we've neglected our position player prospects to the point where we really only have a handful that are even decent. Over the past few years, our best prospects have been stuck behind established ML players (e.g., Hafner, Gonzalez, and now Arias).

Bottom line: we need help everywhere.

we need help in a lot of places, but I dunno about everywhere.
DDansby123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#5 » by DDansby123 » Tue Jun 5, 2007 4:34 pm

sideshowking24 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
we need help in a lot of places, but I dunno about everywhere.

My first thought after reading your response was, "I just meant that we need help in the outfield, infield, and with pitching...that's everywhere. I didn't mean every single position."

But then I thought about it, and I'm not sure we don't need some help at every single position. The only exceptions I can think of are SS (unless Young is traded, too), 2B (if Kinsler's just in a typical sophomore slump), and C (if Laird or Teagarden work out). Other than that, I see holes everywhere long-term.

I still think drafting pitchers is the way to go, but I honestly think I'd try to acquire more young positional talent. For example, if it comes down to getting a top-flight position prospect or a second-level pitching prospect, I'd rather have the position player.
sideshowking24
Junior

Post#6 » by sideshowking24 » Tue Jun 5, 2007 5:20 pm

Yea what I was meaning was that IMO we had a few players that will be good for us in the futre. Bue yea, I got ya. I think SS, 2B, and C with those players you mentioned will be good going forward along with C.J. Wilson, McCarthy and maybe even Tejeda. But thats only 3 pitchers out of an entire pitching staff which is definitely not going to get it done.

For example, if it comes down to getting a top-flight position prospect or a second-level pitching prospect, I'd rather have the position player.

You have a good point there because although we do need pitching, drafting the best player available is the way to go in the MLB draft. So although we need pitching and lots of it, we can't just get pitcher happy and draft all pitchers because we do need a significant amount of help with our position players.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#7 » by GS Warriors 1 » Thu Jun 7, 2007 7:07 am

I think you guys are a darkhorse for Porcello or Wieters, if they fall that far, which looks like a good possibility. We'll see.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#8 » by studcrackers » Thu Jun 7, 2007 3:47 pm

the 3 guys id most like in our 1st 2 picks are

rick porcello (top notch player could fall b/c of money

matt harvey

matt laporta

we'll probably screw this up and take a bust like julio borbon though.
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
dashthemavfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by dashthemavfan » Thu Jun 7, 2007 5:46 pm

Please no Borbon.

Porcello at #17 and Laporta at #24 would be a great first round.
“He can play. He can shoot. He can dribble. He can pass. He’s a great player. Period. No question about it. And if anyone thinks Dirk is not a great player, I’ll punch them in their face.” - Shaquille O'Neal
sideshowking24
Junior

Post#10 » by sideshowking24 » Thu Jun 7, 2007 6:53 pm

well Laporta is gone already so here's to hoping Porcello lasts to 17.

also, Matt Harvey, another RHP looks pretty good. wouldn't mind getting him at 24.
sosafan70
RealGM

Post#11 » by sosafan70 » Thu Jun 7, 2007 9:58 pm

Two high schoolers? I like it.

And apparently we got the fast guy in the draft at 35

Dallas Mavericks: Where Good over Evil Happens
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#12 » by studcrackers » Thu Jun 7, 2007 10:32 pm

well borbon is gonna bust but at least he wasnt a 1st rounder, and we passed on the 2nd best player in the draft. the 1st time i didnt mind b/c beaven is a local guy who's gonna be good as for the 2nd guy i could give a ****, i hate seeing us being so cheap after using all our rescources in the scouting dept. and front office on this draft.

and i refuse to believe we werent cheap in deciding not to go after a boras client, thats the only reason he fell. so in 3-4 years when porcello comes in and tears up the league while beaven or main are struggling still in the minors (will probably be both with our luck)

but we got a pick coming up and matt harvey is still out there, maybe will get him.
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
dashthemavfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by dashthemavfan » Thu Jun 7, 2007 10:55 pm

Actually I like our first two picks. Main is actually very good. Porcello would have been a better choice, but Main is very good too because he will be a lot cheaper.

Borbon is meh. I can live with him at #35.

Neil at #44 was alright.

The guy from Alabama at #54 was a reach.
“He can play. He can shoot. He can dribble. He can pass. He’s a great player. Period. No question about it. And if anyone thinks Dirk is not a great player, I’ll punch them in their face.” - Shaquille O'Neal
MavsFan40
Junior

Post#14 » by MavsFan40 » Fri Jun 8, 2007 4:40 pm

I've seen Beaven pitch, he has some good stuff. But the competition he was facing was dismal. Another downside, he had a "crew" at each game that sat behind the backstop and harassed umpires if the pitch wasn't called a strike. Not looking for negatives, but he did get drafted by the Rangers.

Return to Texas Rangers