To Texas Ranger Fans

Moderators: Texas Chuck, HMFFL

dirtyfilthynasty
General Manager
And1: 2

To Texas Ranger Fans 

Post#1 » by dirtyfilthynasty » Wed Aug 4, 2010 12:46 pm

Texas Ranger fans,

I'm sure you guys have heard about the ownership situation and the new possible owners. If not, it basically comes down to Greenberg/Nolan Ryan group or Cuban/Crane group. My question is simple. Who would you rather have be the next owner of the Texas Rangers?

The reason I ask is that I definitely want Greenberg and Nolan Ryan to become the next owners and wish Cuban wasn't involved at all. For years I have been of the opinion that Mark Cuban was one of the greatest owners in sports but for some reason I don't want him to own my favorite baseball team. I think it comes down to not wanting Cuban to be the side show that takes attention away from the play on the field. In the long run I think Cuban would be good for the Rangers but I would still rather have Greenberg and Ryan (whose management style I know nothing about by the way).

The reason I ask this question on the Mavs board is because I'm not sure what it says about Cuban as an owner if I would rather have someone I never heard of own the Rangers. How do fellow Ranger fans feel?

P.S. I don't feel the same way about Jerry Jones. I would love for him to own any team I follow.
mffl_14
Sixth Man
And1: 18

Re: To Texas Ranger Fans 

Post#2 » by mffl_14 » Wed Aug 4, 2010 2:00 pm

Personally I hope Cuban doesn't get the Rangers. I think Mark has been a great owner for the Mavs. There are things I don't like that he does but I think his good out weighs the bad, I just wish they could sign somebody big though some time. But mainly the reason why I don't him to be the owner of the Rangers is Nolan Ryan. Nolan is a legend first off, secondly he has changed the mentality of how the pitching staff is handled here and I don't think it's just a coincidence that the Rangers turn around started happening when Nolan was hired. Any scenario where Nolan is not involved with this team would be very disappointed to almost all true Ranger fans. So good luck Greenburg/Ryan and Mark just get our Mavs to the Finals !
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#3 » by 2011Champs » Wed Aug 4, 2010 2:40 pm

I would like the Greenberg/Nolan Ryan group to own the Rangers and MLB feels the same. Nolan Ryan/ Jon Daniels need to remain in place even if Cuban buys the Rangers. Personally I think Cuban needs to stick with only owning The Mavs. I think owning and being active in the success of two sports franchises could be very overwhelming. Even if Cuban wins the auction he still needs to be approved by MLB, something he was unable to do when trying to buy the Cubs.
Chester0
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Chester0 » Wed Aug 4, 2010 3:01 pm

I would be a fan of Cuban owning so long as Ryan is kept around. I don't know that would happen though. Also, it would hopefully distract Cuban from the Mavs. We need his wallet and willingness to spend, but not his de facto GMing
DanHibiki
Banned User

Post#5 » by DanHibiki » Wed Aug 4, 2010 3:49 pm

dirtyfilthynasty wrote:Texas Ranger fans,

I'm sure you guys have heard about the ownership situation and the new possible owners. If not, it basically comes down to Greenberg/Nolan Ryan group or Cuban/Crane group. My question is simple. Who would you rather have be the next owner of the Texas Rangers?

The reason I ask is that I definitely want Greenberg and Nolan Ryan to become the next owners and wish Cuban wasn't involved at all. For years I have been of the opinion that Mark Cuban was one of the greatest owners in sports but for some reason I don't want him to own my favorite baseball team. I think it comes down to not wanting Cuban to be the side show that takes attention away from the play on the field. In the long run I think Cuban would be good for the Rangers but I would still rather have Greenberg and Ryan (whose management style I know nothing about by the way).

The reason I ask this question on the Mavs board is because I'm not sure what it says about Cuban as an owner if I would rather have someone I never heard of own the Rangers. How do fellow Ranger fans feel?

P.S. I don't feel the same way about Jerry Jones. I would love for him to own any team I follow.

So you got your opinion of cuban from TNT/ESPN right? Yeah they try hard to make him look like a sideshow even though he just cheers for the team in the crowd. The pro-LA pro-east coast media villianize his cheering and criticisms of officiating. If you got your opinion of him from the media...just forget everything you know about him.

He routinely loses money on this team so that he can keep them in contention for a title.(rather than letting them stink it up in the lottery for years on end until they get lucky). He's a good owner that cares about winning and spends to win.
jbsg02
Analyst
And1: 4

Post#6 » by jbsg02 » Wed Aug 4, 2010 4:02 pm

3-4 years ago, I would have LOVED the idea of Cuban owning the Rangers, but right now, I think the Ryan/Greenberg group is the best move for right now.
DanHibiki
Banned User

Post#7 » by DanHibiki » Wed Aug 4, 2010 4:42 pm

why? What legitimate reason can you offer? What the media tells you he's satan's sister?
Chester0
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by Chester0 » Wed Aug 4, 2010 10:14 pm

This is the mavs board. We know everything there is to know about Cuban. Not so harsh please cmavs
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#9 » by studcrackers » Wed Aug 4, 2010 11:10 pm

whoever is the owner just promise that you'll keep jon daniels around, that's all i care about

the thing that sucks about cuban likely owning the team is it will take months for the owners to meet and discuss him and jim crane to get approval (likely after free agency begins) so we'll have 0 chance at any free agent (goodbye cliff lee, though we have little shot to begin with) and the mlb hates his partner jim crane, so there's a good chance it will be another year or 2 before any type of ownership situation is resolved.

expect a lawsuit filed by whoever loses this bidding today
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
cmavswin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 222

Post#10 » by cmavswin » Wed Aug 4, 2010 11:20 pm

I have a feeling Cuban/Crane will win but that MLB will tell them to take a hike and give the team to Ryan/Greenberg. Cuban will sue MLB and then this thing gets started.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by studcrackers » Wed Aug 4, 2010 11:34 pm

cmavswin wrote:I have a feeling Cuban/Crane will win but that MLB will tell them to take a hike and give the team to Ryan/Greenberg. Cuban will sue MLB and then this thing gets started.

i doubt that will happen
cmavswin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by cmavswin » Wed Aug 4, 2010 11:44 pm

studcrackers wrote:
cmavswin wrote:I have a feeling Cuban/Crane will win but that MLB will tell them to take a hike and give the team to Ryan/Greenberg. Cuban will sue MLB and then this thing gets started.

i doubt that will happen

well the first half is true if what I just read is true saying that Cuban just outbid Ryan by $35 million in round 2.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by studcrackers » Wed Aug 4, 2010 11:59 pm

if cuban/crane get denied it will be months down the road and we'll start the process all over again, greenberg/ryans money is up august 12th so they either win today or tomorrow or they're done

it's looking likely that theyre done
Sulleigh
Junior
And1: 5

Post#14 » by Sulleigh » Thu Aug 5, 2010 12:51 am

Despite his sideshow antics, Cuban is a great owner. He cares about his players and fans and will do everything in his power to ensure success. He spares no cost and is his team's biggest fan. You gotta love an owner who cares more about winning than he does the money his team is bringing in.
Chester0
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by Chester0 » Thu Aug 5, 2010 3:26 am

Cuban/Crane have the highest bid right now, according to ESPN. This auction seems so **** stupid. I think Cuban would be great to have, but if it takes 2 more years to get him approved or what not like stud is saying, we can say goodbye to the team we've built. At this point, I would much rather have Greenberg/Ryan win just so this can be done with.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by studcrackers » Thu Aug 5, 2010 9:12 am

well polish my nuts and serve me a milkshake, greenberg and ryan won, holy hell, this bodes well for our possibly free agency bids this off season as cuban wouldve had 0 chance since they likely wouldnt have been approved

also for the people possibly wanting cuban, he probably wouldnt have been the majority owner or the guy running the show, jim crane woudlve. cuban wouldve wanted the rangers to help promote them and the mavs on his hdnet channel, fyi. so who knows what his payroll woudlve been like

i just hope greenberg/ryan's group can keep a nicely sized payroll that can at least be in the 90's range as our top notch players get closer to arbitration and free agency
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#17 » by Knicksfan20 » Thu Aug 5, 2010 2:35 pm

Its probably much better that Nolan won the team @ the auction. He is a baseball guy and knows alot more about the sport then Cuban would, who is a buisnessman. Just my 2c though. I was kinda hoping Cuban would win because i like him, but its probably best for the organization that Ryan and company won.
cmavswin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by cmavswin » Thu Aug 5, 2010 3:04 pm

Good to see this over and I am kinda of surprised that Cuban did'nt win. Ryan/Greenberg get Lee re-signed than this thing for the little red shoes will have worked out really well.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,164

Post#19 » by HMFFL » Thu Aug 5, 2010 5:20 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:Its probably much better that Nolan won the team @ the auction. He is a baseball guy and knows alot more about the sport then Cuban would, who is a buisnessman. Just my 2c though. I was kinda hoping Cuban would win because i like him, but its probably best for the organization that Ryan and company won.

Mark Cuban would most likely have to take the backseat approach if he had beat out Nolan Ryan and Chuck Greenberg. At times he needs to do it with the Mavericks.

How much is the combination of Nolan Ryan and Chuck Greenberg worth? I have a feel not much compared to some of the rest of the owners and I expect the Rangers to continue with a payroll like a small market team.
DanHibiki
Banned User

Post#20 » by DanHibiki » Thu Aug 5, 2010 6:06 pm

Why doesn't he buy the nationals,reds or the marlins?

Return to Texas Rangers