Pro Prospect
And1: 23

Daily Papers - May 8, 2007 

Post#1 » by belowtherim » Tue May 8, 2007 2:07 pm

May 8, 2007

Toronto Star

Rocket blasts Jays out of it
By Richard Griffin
After plummeting to last place in the current standings and watching as this generation's greatest starting pitcher, Roger Clemens, has just inked a four-month deal to pitch in the Bronx, the Jays no longer deserve to even be mentioned in the same breath as the Red Sox and Yankees.

GM J.P. Ricciardi will tell you it's not over ... but what are we to believe? And, after all, do fans really need to know the truth?

Jays in world of hurt as Bosox land in town
By Mark Zwolinksi
Now there's ongoing concern within the organization that Ryan's elbow injury could be worse than what has been revealed. There is growing concern that the dominating closer will not be able to return to the team at the conclusion of his current stint on the 60-day disabled list.

Ryan was transferred from the 15-day to the 60-day DL April 24 with what the Jays then said was a strained ligament in his left elbow.

The extended stay on the list followed an April 15 release in which the Jays said they expected their prized closer to be out four to six weeks with elbow problems.

Toronto Sun

Slugging offence is missing
By Mike Rutsey
So the Jays have no one to blame but themselves for their current situation which has them without a win in May, a 13-18 record, possession of last place in the American League East and being 71/2 games back of the division-leading Boston Red Sox, whom the Jays meet in a three-game series starting tonight.

Jays manager John Gibbons said that yesterday's day off was a blessing but not as much as not having to play any more games in either Cleveland or Arlington, Tex., two spot where the Jays are hexed beyond belief.

McDonald on a roller-coaster
By Mike Rutsey
Blue Jays infielder John McDonald has gone from the highs to the lows.

In late April, McDonald strung together a 10-game hitting streak, the longest of his major-league career, the streak ended on April 30.

Over that time, McDonald went 15-for-32, a .469 average.

Since the streak was snapped, McDonald has gone in the opposite direction and has gone hitless in his past six games going 0-for-14 to have his season average drop to .327.

Globe & Mail

Glaus named AL player of the week
By Canadian Press
Toronto Blue Jays third baseman Troy Glaus was named the American League player of the week Monday.

The all-star was one of the club's few bright spots over the past seven days, batting .400 with two doubles, four homers, seven RBIs and eight runs scored.

Jays consider beer ban in clubhouse
By Jeff Blair
"I spoke about it in spring training with Vernon (Wells, the Blue Jays player representative) and I think we need to address it again, after I've had some feedback from some players and from Paul [Godfrey, the Blue Jays president and chief executive officer,]" said Ricciardi. "Things like this bring to light the reality of being responsible. We're no different than anybody else or any other group. We're lucky in some ways, because a lot of our players live downtown so they just walk home from the park. But, you know, we're all part of the Toronto community."

Normally, I'm a live and let live kind of guy when it comes to alcohol and other substances. Do what you want and as long as you don't hurt anybody else, it's fine with me. I'm not comfortable with other people determining what somebody can watch, read, drink or eat and while there are certainly idiots among us, well, to me that's the price we pay for the right to make decision.

National Post

Nothing

Extras

Go Jays Go!

Sunshine Girl
KATIE: This 22-year-old Capricorn wants to be a nurse. She likes to spend quality time with her three-year-old son.

Weather

Toronto
Sunny. Wind becoming southwest 30 km/h late this morning. High 26 except 19 near Lake Ontario. UV index 7 or high

Today's Game

Image Image vs Image Image
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,198

Post#2 » by LittleOzzy » Tue May 8, 2007 8:34 pm

Not only is this team hard to watch this season, they are also hard to read about in the papers. :)
Guy Smiley
RealGM
And1: 491

Post#3 » by Guy Smiley » Wed May 9, 2007 12:58 pm

Keep up your hall of fame performance belowtherim.

Kudos to a job well done.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays