ImageImageImageImageImage

Blue Jays (38-28) at White Sox (31-33) - June 20-22

Moderator: JaysRule15

wamco
Junior
And1: 46

Re: Blue Jays (38-28) at White Sox (31-33) - June 20-22 

Post#361 » by wamco » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:32 am

I agree. The 5m I mentioned is by dropping tapia after the season, right? I forget all the details. I’m totally fine dropping him now and calling up a bison. Luke or Taylor or Groshans or stick with Lopez.

Think the plan was to fix him and trade him at deadline potentially and save more money to reallocate?

I too favor trading janson only due to contract length. I’ve been a high guy on Jansen and biggio.

Could Jansen get a top 100 prospect type? As I like Schad idea
wamco
Junior
And1: 46

Post#362 » by wamco » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:35 am

Jays were desperate for a high floor at time and paid him to be a 1.5 war player. Nothing crazy. And used like 5 m savings by trading pillar towards it. I think those numbers are right
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,689

Post#363 » by johanliebert » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:39 am

Guys are still referencing trash metrics lol. Even after a win the tapia narrative lives on.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,444

Post#364 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:42 am

It would be pretty interesting to find any metric or stat that Tapia is actually good at.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,108

Post#365 » by Schad » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:58 am

johanliebert wrote:Guys are still referencing trash metrics lol. Even after a win the tapia narrative lives on.

You continually suggest that these are trash metrics, and that there are better metrics that show that Tapia is actually good. Please. Enlighten us. You have the floor.
**** your asterisk.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,823

Post#366 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:04 am

Schad wrote:
johanliebert wrote:Guys are still referencing trash metrics lol. Even after a win the tapia narrative lives on.

You continually suggest that these are trash metrics, and that there are better metrics that show that Tapia is actually good. Please. Enlighten us. You have the floor.

So far I have seen “he’s on a heater” and now “the team won a game”.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#367 » by Schad » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:05 am

wamco wrote:Jays were desperate for a high floor at time and paid him to be a 1.5 war player. Nothing crazy. And used like 5 m savings by trading pillar towards it. I think those numbers are right

Also, Tapia wasn't good previously, but he was not this bad, either. His only major league level skills were his speed and ability to get on base, but those are useful.

This year, because his K rate is up and his walk rate has cratered, he is now very bad about getting on base, and consequently his speed is largely negated, as speed plays little role in walking from the batter's box back to the dugout. But at least he probably won't get on the team for more than a few weeks.
**** your asterisk.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,611

Post#368 » by bluerap23 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:14 pm

Schad wrote:
wamco wrote:Jays were desperate for a high floor at time and paid him to be a 1.5 war player. Nothing crazy. And used like 5 m savings by trading pillar towards it. I think those numbers are right

Also, Tapia wasn't good previously, but he was not this bad, either. His only major league level skills were his speed and ability to get on base, but those are useful.

This year, because his K rate is up and his walk rate has cratered, he is now very bad about getting on base, and consequently his speed is largely negated, as speed plays little role in walking from the batter's box back to the dugout. But at least he probably won't get on the team for more than a few weeks.

This is the part that is interesting. In the month of June he has an 820 OPS without a single walk. You can see that they have got him to change his approach with an emphasis on finding more power. It shows they believe something is in there and it wasn't purely a salary dump, thus all the opportunity/playing time. I don't see it. I mean, maybe a few years ago it would have been ok to try fixing him when we were in rebuild (by my count they were 1/3 on project outfielders, which is pretty good considering the 1 was Teo).

But this season is too important to give him playing time over far better hitters that have already found IT. Also - why not let him try the new approach in AAA? If he destroys those pitchers then give him a shot.

I actually wouldn't mind him as a 4th outfielder if he played as rarely as a 4th outfielder should. It would also help if he was an average defender.
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach
And1: 7,248

Post#369 » by Madvillainy2004 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:38 pm

bluerap23 wrote:
Schad wrote:

This is the part that is interesting. In the month of June he has an 820 OPS without a single walk. You can see that they have got him to change his approach with an emphasis on finding more power. It shows they believe something is in there and it wasn't purely a salary dump, thus all the opportunity/playing time. I don't see it. I mean, maybe a few years ago it would have been ok to try fixing him when we were in rebuild (by my count they were 1/3 on project outfielders, which is pretty good considering the 1 was Teo).

But this season is too important to give him playing time over far better hitters that have already found IT. Also - why not let him try the new approach in AAA? If he destroys those pitchers then give him a shot.

I actually wouldn't mind him as a 4th outfielder if he played as rarely as a 4th outfielder should. It would also help if he was an average defender.

Yeah if we were gonna play a 4th outfielder this much I would've preffered we used assests for a good one lol
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,198

Post#370 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:40 am

Fairview4Life wrote:
Schad wrote:

So far I have seen “he’s on a heater” and now “the team won a game”.

:lol: :lol: OP as Kevin

https://youtu.be/rsfKSzlh_Bg?t=297
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,817

Post#371 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:38 pm

Where the f*ck is the next/Brewers game thread!!!?!!?!?!?!?
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#372 » by Schad » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:42 pm

GoRapstheoriginal wrote:Where the f*ck is the next/Brewers game thread!!!?!!?!?!?!?

If we win a series, the next game thread is created by the creator of the previous series thread.

If we don't win a series, the next game thread is created by anyone else.

So: why aren't you creating the game thread?
**** your asterisk.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays