ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Phillies at Blue Jays, August 15-16

Moderator: JaysRule15

hst420
Pro Prospect
And1: 433

Re: GT: Phillies at Blue Jays, August 15-16 

Post#181 » by hst420 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:03 am

Awful game.. Both Espinal and Guerrero should be charged with errors, two errors for one play.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,430

Post#182 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:05 am

SharoneWright wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
I guess they wanted their high leverage lefty! Lol. Who knew?

I guess at this point you wish they would’ve brought in any other bullpen arm! Nice try.

At this point I wouldn't waste anybody good on this game at all. It's Jay Jackson or Bowden Francis time.

“Would’ve”

Nice try.

Nice try at what? Mayza was still the right choice against two power LHBs with massive splits and historically great numbers against Gausman. It didn't work out, so it goes.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,525
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#183 » by SharoneWright » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:12 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:At this point I wouldn't waste anybody good on this game at all. It's Jay Jackson or Bowden Francis time.

“Would’ve”

Nice try.

Nice try at what? Mayza was still the right choice against two power LHBs with massive splits and historically great numbers against Gausman. It didn't work out, so it goes.

You deflected.

I chose Gausman over Meyza. You, after things went to hell chose Genesis.

When I commented on what you “would’ve” done, you responded by telling me what you would now do.

Let’s stay on point here people.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#184 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:14 am

SharoneWright wrote:You deflected.

I chose Gausman over Meyza. You, after things went to hell chose Genesis.
['/quote]
Not at all, that post was made before Mayza even made a pitch. I'd still choose Mayza over Gausman any day in that spot.

When I commented on what you “would’ve” done, you responded by telling me what you would now do.

Let’s stay on point here people.

I'm still more than fine using Mayza over Gausman. Schwarber was 0 for 5 against him (now 0 for 6) and so was Harper. Statistically, it was an obvious choice.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#185 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:19 am

Gausman had allowed 7 hits and 3 walks tonight in 5.1 IP. Schwarber was 3 for 12 with 3 HR against Gausman in his career (including 1 BB tonight) and Harper was 10 for 23 with 2 HR (including a HR tonight) against Gausman in his career.

There is no reality in which he's pitching in that spot against those guys for a 4th time with runners on. The only question was whether Mayza was a better choice than Cabrera (who is more of a strikeout guy) but considering how good Mayza has been this season, especially against lefties, there's nothing really to complain about.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#186 » by SharoneWright » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:24 am

I’ll take Cy Gausman who’s under 90 pitches and who’s fighting for a win over either of our lefties. I’m old-fashioned.

Not to mention the fact that it would’ve been better in reality. Forget theiry.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#187 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:25 am

SharoneWright wrote:I’ll take Cy Gausman who’s under 90 pitches and who’s fighting for a win over either of our lefties. I’m old-fashioned.

Not to mention the fact that it would’ve been better in reality. Forget theory.

Cy Gausman was getting crushed all game with little command. Not a difficult choice to go to the guy with a 1 ERA and .500 OPS allowed against LHBs.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#188 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:27 am

Probably shouldn't be hitting DeJong in that spot if you seriously want any chance at a comeback.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#189 » by SharoneWright » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:27 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:I’ll take Cy Gausman who’s under 90 pitches and who’s fighting for a win over either of our lefties. I’m old-fashioned.

Cy Gausman was getting crushed all game with little command. Not a difficult choice.

Well, then it comes down to this. Who are you blaming for the loss? Gausman or Espinal?

Because if you erase Espinal and start over from when we first engaged on this topic Gausman was in line for the win.
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,923

Post#190 » by Michael Bradley » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:28 am

Potential wrote:How do we prevent Seattle from eliminating us back to back years

It's out of the Jays hands unfortunately. The Mariners own the tiebreaker and have the easier schedule down the stretch.

The fact that the Jays would rather play Espinal and DeJong at the same time (again) rather than find a way to get a reasonable defensive alignment with Davis Schneider involved is all you really need to know. I get that Schneider isn't a 3B and probably wouldn't be good there, but between Merrifield, Biggio, and Schneider, you can find a configuration that can work for a game at 2B/3B/LF. If the Jays want to trot out sub replacement level veterans out there instead of prospects who at least have a marginal bit of upside, even when the team is struggling offensively and need all the offense they can find, then they kind of deserve whatever they get here.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#191 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:29 am

SharoneWright wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

Cy Gausman was getting crushed all game with little command. Not a difficult choice.

Well, then it comes down to this. Who are you blaming for the loss? Gausman or Espinal?

Because if you erase Espinal and start over from when we first engaged on this topic Gausman was in line for the win.

Both? Gausman was quite bad, but they may still win if Espinal doesn't turf an easy throw (because then they likely pull Gausman the very next inning and go with their bullpen that has been very effective lately). Decent share of the blame to both, I think.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,315

Post#192 » by Parataxis » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:30 am

Why the heck is DeJong batting in the 7th inning when we're down 3? We have better bats on the bench that should be used there.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#193 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:32 am

Parataxis wrote:Why the heck is DeJong batting in the 7th inning when we're down 3? We have better bats on the bench that should be used there.

There's no good reason for it and speaks to this team's consistent lack of urgency to win. Even if you don't want to use/can't use Chapman or Jansen due to injury, pinch hit Schneider and just move Espinal to shortstop for the last 2 innings.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#194 » by SharoneWright » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:32 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Cy Gausman was getting crushed all game with little command. Not a difficult choice.

Both? Gausman was quite bad, but they may still win if Espinal doesn't turf an easy throw (because then they likely pull Gausman the very next inning and go with their bullpen that has been very effective lately). Decent share of the blame to both, I think.

Me, I blame Schneider.

Both for sitting a serviceable Chapman… Presumably, because he could get an extra day off with the off day tomorrow!!!

And for pulling his ace well below his pitch limit for a cold arm, who’s not overpowering, out of the bullpen.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#195 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:33 am

SharoneWright wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:

Me, I blame Schneider.

Both for sitting a serviceable Chapman… Presumably, because he could get an extra day off with the off day tomorrow!!!

And for pulling his ace well below his pitch limit for a cold arm, who’s not overpowering, out of the bullpen.

If Chapman has been deemed too hurt to play and/or needing 4 days off, that would certainly not be something that is up to John Schneider. That would be something that has been dictated to him.

And pulling his ace who had been bad all day for a guy who has been great this season, particularly against LHBs, was again not a tough choice.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#196 » by SharoneWright » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:35 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Both? Gausman was quite bad, but they may still win if Espinal doesn't turf an easy throw (because then they likely pull Gausman the very next inning and go with their bullpen that has been very effective lately). Decent share of the blame to both, I think.

Me, I blame Schneider.

If Chapman has been deemed too hurt to play and/or needing 4 days off, that would certainly not be something that is up to John Schneider. That would be something that has been dictated to him.

And pulling his ace who had been bad all day for a guy who has been great this season, particularly against LHBs, was again not a tough choice.

Darn. Both decisions failed.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#197 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:35 am

Doubt Jay Jackson and his hanging sliders stick around whenever Chad Green is deemed to be ready.

Bullpen probably looks like this in a week or so:
Romano
Hicks
Mayza
Swanson
Garcia
Cabrera
Richards
Green
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#198 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:36 am

SharoneWright wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
Me, I blame Schneider.

The first one wasn't a decision (at least by the manager).

The second one was the right decision. Unfortunately, it is baseball and the right decisions can still lead to bad results.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#199 » by SharoneWright » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:37 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:If Chapman has been deemed too hurt to play and/or needing 4 days off, that would certainly not be something that is up to John Schneider. That would be something that has been dictated to him.

The second one was the right decision. Unfortunately, it is baseball and the right decisions can still lead to bad results.

I think I should be the manager. :wink:

I think you need to see it in front of your own eyes before you can believe!
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#200 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:38 am

SharoneWright wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:

I think I should be the manager.

We'd probably have at least 3-4 more wins if that was the case.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays