ImageImageImageImageImage

Solve the Jays catching dilemma: Who gets traded (eventually)?

Moderator: JaysRule15

JTT
Sophomore
And1: 54

Re: Solve the Jays catching dilemma: Who gets traded (eventually)? 

Post#21 » by JTT » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:57 pm

Well, according to mlbpipeline three of the top nine prospects are catchers. How man pitchers you ask? One
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,633

Post#22 » by Asianiac_24 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:59 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:I think the ideal situation is that Moreno can play another position when Kirk starts at C. That's takes them from play 3/4 of the time to maybe 4/5th, which is decent for a catcher.

But I agree, if you're getting a stud back, then no one is off limits. But the price is definitely high for Moreno or Kirk.

If Moreno can play another position he would be completely off limits. Elite defensive catcher who can also play another position and is potentially a .300 hitter (albeit with no power) TODAY?
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,424

Post#23 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:20 pm

Asianiac_24 wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:I think the ideal situation is that Moreno can play another position when Kirk starts at C. That's takes them from play 3/4 of the time to maybe 4/5th, which is decent for a catcher.

But I agree, if you're getting a stud back, then no one is off limits. But the price is definitely high for Moreno or Kirk.

If Moreno can play another position he would be completely off limits. Elite defensive catcher who can also play another position and is potentially a .300 hitter (albeit with no power) TODAY?

He converted from shortstop to catcher. I imagine he could handle several other positions if he put the time in at them.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,105

Post#24 » by Schad » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:12 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:He converted from shortstop to catcher. I imagine he could handle several other positions if he put the time in at them.

C/LF would almost definitely work, because he's quite quick and has more than enough arm for the outfield. Still, though, the ideal is that Moreno catches five days a week (which is all most catchers do), and Kirk the other two, while Kirk DHes most of the time.
**** your asterisk.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,152

Post#25 » by DelAbbot » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:38 am

Schad wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:He converted from shortstop to catcher. I imagine he could handle several other positions if he put the time in at them.

C/LF would almost definitely work, because he's quite quick and has more than enough arm for the outfield. Still, though, the ideal is that Moreno catches five days a week (which is all most catchers do), and Kirk the other two, while Kirk DHes most of the time.

I agree with the tandem of Kirk/Moreno as you suggested. But a concern is do we carry a 3rd catcher (emergency) on the active roster? If C Moreno and DH Kirk both start, and when Moreno gets pinch hit for, you switch Kirk to C and lose the DH?
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,633

Post#26 » by Asianiac_24 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:06 am

DelAbbot wrote:
Schad wrote:

I agree with the tandem of Kirk/Moreno as you suggested. But a concern is do we carry a 3rd catcher (emergency) on the active roster? If C Moreno and DH Kirk both start, and when Moreno gets pinch hit for, you switch Kirk to C and lose the DH?

I don't think we would want to pinch hit Moreno, and don't we still have Zach Collins we can call up?
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,105

Post#27 » by Schad » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:45 am

DelAbbot wrote:I agree with the tandem of Kirk/Moreno as you suggested. But a concern is do we carry a 3rd catcher (emergency) on the active roster? If C Moreno and DH Kirk both start, and when Moreno gets pinch hit for, you switch Kirk to C and lose the DH?

Moreno profiles as a good enough hitter that you shouldn't be pinch-hitting for him, assuming he reaches his potential.
**** your asterisk.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,314

Post#28 » by Parataxis » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:13 pm

Schad wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:I agree with the tandem of Kirk/Moreno as you suggested. But a concern is do we carry a 3rd catcher (emergency) on the active roster? If C Moreno and DH Kirk both start, and when Moreno gets pinch hit for, you switch Kirk to C and lose the DH?

Moreno profiles as a good enough hitter that you shouldn't be pinch-hitting for him, assuming he reaches his potential.

Yup. And moreso, even if we DID pinch hit for him (I dunno, maybe we desperately needed a power bat at that exact moment, or we'd rehired Charlie as our manager or something) it would almost certainly be in a 9th inning situation, so that batting slot is unlikely to come back up again unless things have gotten really weird.
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#29 » by DelAbbot » Tue Oct 4, 2022 3:05 am

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/alejandro-kirk-and-alek-manoah-boldly-go-towards-the-shadow-zone/

Kirk has above average framing skills and one of the best hitter at C. You don't trade that just because it "could" fetch a higher level player than Danny Jansen.

Every trade has risk of failure: why would we trade away a sure-thing 4 fWAR C earning league min when we are in a contending window. It would make zero sense.

Trade away Danny Jansen to clear space for Moreno, since Jansen only has 2 years of control left and would command a bigger salary.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,099

Post#30 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Oct 8, 2022 11:05 pm

How's the trade Jansen sentiment looking now?
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#31 » by DelAbbot » Sun Oct 9, 2022 1:53 am

WaltFrazier wrote:How's the trade Jansen sentiment looking now?

I still call him John Buck and say we trade him to open up AB for Kirk and Moreno
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,764

Post#32 » by spykelee » Sun Oct 9, 2022 4:56 am

Jano is the obvious candidate on the surface but he's also the veteran guy that knows the staff the best and in theory, is the most adept and conditioned for 162. That said, he missed time this year, as most catcher's do. I do question how much we'd actually get out of Moreno and Kirk behind the plate. Salary and years of control and age wise it def makes sense to trade Jano, but for stability, and getting a higher return, addressing other needs, it might make the most sense to trade Moreno/Kirk. It's a tough call, largely dependent on what the return could be for all 3. Gun to my head, it's gotta be Jano.

Sent from my SM-G781W using RealGM mobile app
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,510

Post#33 » by dagger » Sun Oct 9, 2022 1:19 pm

It’s a tough one and certainly the asset value acquired in return would influence my view, but I don’t think you can bring back all three without stranding some of Moreno’s value. They are all RHBs, so there is no platoon value there, and the Jays clearly need help in other areas more than they need three good catchers on the 26-man roster.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,221

Post#34 » by C Court » Sun Oct 9, 2022 1:55 pm

One needs to be traded this off-season. I just have no confidence that Atkins will acquire anything of value in return.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,510

Post#35 » by dagger » Sun Oct 9, 2022 2:40 pm

C Court wrote:One needs to be traded this off-season. I just have no confidence that Atkins will acquire anything of value in return.

It may be heresy to say it, but even a high leverage reliever with some control and a Rookie ball or single A prospect might be nice. If you get 90 cents on the dollar for Jansen in this environment, you have still improved the roster balance.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Raider917
Veteran
And1: 769

Post#36 » by Raider917 » Sun Oct 9, 2022 2:43 pm

I hope to see a blockbuster this offseason. theres too many right handed batters and no pitching depth. either fix this or have a firesale.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,821

Post#37 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Oct 9, 2022 8:59 pm

At this point, I think we might need to trade 2/3. Our pitching situation is dire (and will be even more dire if/when Stripling leaves). We desperately need quality starters and relievers, and our catchers offer the best path to acquiring both.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,194

Post#38 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:04 pm

if you want to get a top notch pitcher, probably Moreno.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,202

Post#39 » by duppyy » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:04 pm

I want relievers that throw 99-100 mph that all other teams seem to have lol
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#40 » by DelAbbot » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:48 am

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:if you want to get a top notch pitcher, probably Moreno.

Did you consider Jose Berrios top notch pitcher before this season? Moreno is a sure thing with his defense and contact hitting abilities alone - not trading that for a much more volatile commodity i.e. pitcher.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays