Post#221 » by TOStateofMind » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:37 am

what a complete choke job that was

this teams not serious if they cant even keep a 4 run lead in the 9th
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,430

Re: GT: Jays @ Dodgers / July 24-26 

Post#222 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:39 am

Mitch White also wouldn't be rostered on a serious MLB team trying to win games but that sort of goes without saying at this point.

Disgusting loss and very well deserved. Espinal should be sent to AAA tonight.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,384

Post#223 » by ItsDanger » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:39 am

Schneider: all the wrong moves.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,823

Post#224 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:41 am

6.5 games back of a rebuilding team with 1/3 of our payroll. The organization should be embarrassed from top to bottom.
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,299

Post#225 » by Mehar » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:44 am

Came home a short while ago after being out of town for most of the day, and tuned into the game just in time to see Mitch White serve a meatball (lol). What a joke that this organization traded a high potential prospect like Nick Frasso for a guy who was getting smashed in AAA earlier this year. Who cares if he is out of options. The guy has no business being on any Major League Roster.
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach
And1: 7,247

Post#226 » by Madvillainy2004 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:44 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:Mitch White also wouldn't be rostered on a serious MLB team trying to win games but that sort of goes without saying at this point.

Mitch White finding himself on a MLB roster this late in the year after having a 10+ ERA in Buffalo and a 7.30 ERA in the majors is impressive in a way.

I don't think the Bisons would wanna play him if they want to win nevermind the Jays lmao.
Mehar
Analyst

Post#227 » by Mehar » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:47 am

ItsDanger wrote:Schneider: all the wrong moves.

I missed the game until the 10th only to see Mitch White on the mound. The team had a 7-3 lead and I guess Swanson imploded. How did Schneider mess up tonight?
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#228 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:54 am

Madvillainy2004 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Mitch White also wouldn't be rostered on a serious MLB team trying to win games but that sort of goes without saying at this point.

Mitch White finding himself on a MLB roster this late in the year after having a 10+ ERA in Buffalo and a 7.30 ERA in the majors is impressive in a way.

I don't think the Bisons would wanna play him if they want to win nevermind the Jays lmao.

Jays management is trying to protect their trade asset in Mitch White (if they DFA him, they could lose him outright) and it is embarrassing for a contender.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#229 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:55 am

Mehar wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:Schneider: all the wrong moves.

I missed the game until the 10th only to see Mitch White on the mound. The team had a 7-3 lead and I guess Swanson imploded. How did Schneider mess up tonight?

Whit should have stayed in the game after Varsho came in, but ultimately this one is on Swanson **** his pants on the mound, Chapman being unable to field a groundball, and Espinal having literally no in-game awareness.
Mehar
Analyst

Post#230 » by Mehar » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:09 am

Madvillainy2004 wrote:90 middle middle? 90? White is barely a AAA player at this point. New worst loss of the season just dropped lol

Chad Green just pitched a scoreless inning two days ago in the minors. He should be up in about two weeks, when you can then DFA Mitch White. The other option is to activate Ryu and use him out of the bullpen, and replace White that way. I do not care that you traded a good prospect for him. Serious teams should not be giving a Major League Roster spot to a guy at this point in the year, who was getting crushed in AAA like Mitch White. Just seen the replay of Espinal forgetting about the runner heading home from third. The mental mistakes this team has made all year (whether on the base paths, or in other critical situations like tonight) is astounding. There was no reason why Merrifield (who is a better defender than Espinal) was not playing at Second Base with Varsho in LF.
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,923

Post#231 » by Michael Bradley » Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:08 pm

The Jays seem to think Espinal is a better defender at 2B than Merrifield. I haven’t looked up the numbers but I’d be shocked if that’s true. The eye test certainly doesn’t support that.

This has to be one of the most frustrating, and quite frankly boring “good” Jays teams I can remember. I mean I’ll take a boring team that gets a playoff spot but even that’s not a certainty at this point.
Mehar
Analyst

Post#232 » by Mehar » Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:54 pm

Michael Bradley wrote:The Jays seem to think Espinal is a better defender at 2B than Merrifield. I haven’t looked up the numbers but I’d be shocked if that’s true. The eye test certainly doesn’t support that.

This has to be one of the most frustrating, and quite frankly boring “good” Jays teams I can remember. I mean I’ll take a boring team that gets a playoff spot but even that’s not a certainty at this point.

Merrifield was a former Gold Glove finalist at Second Base with Kansas City. Regardless, if Espinal had any situational awareness he should have thrown to home right away, and gotten Smith out. Just crazy mental lapse by him. With Boston's schedule in the coming weeks where they can beat up on the Royals, Nationals, and Tigers and also playing the Jays at Fenway (where they have not lost a game to Toronto all year) they should surpass the Jays as Boston is only 1.5 Games back. The Jays are facing all .500 or better teams for the next 4 weeks (Angels, Red Sox, Phillies, Reds, etc.), and they have struggled against .500 or better teams all year. A healthy Yankees team in about a couple of weeks with Judge, and pitchers Loaisiga and Cortes will be a different team also; and the Yankees are only 2.5 Games back. So, some of these homers and optimists like Mike Shillner, saying how everyone needs to settle down as the Jays are in a playoff spot are fooling themselves. Boston, New York and Toronto will be likely fighting for one spot, and playoffs is definitely not a certainty with what I have seen all year.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,384

Post#233 » by ItsDanger » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:02 pm

Schneider pulls his starter too early. Whether that's his style or analytics based, its got to change. A flaw in analytics is that it is single game based, not over an entire season or based on the pitchers as a group. Hire better people to do this, please.

Mitch White is not MLB quality. With bigger bullpens these days, no excuse not to have 2-4 innings guys there, at least 1 long guy is mandatory. Bullpens were easier to manage when you had just 5 guys and the starters went longer.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,683

Post#234 » by johanliebert » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:04 pm

Michael Bradley wrote:The Jays seem to think Espinal is a better defender at 2B than Merrifield. I haven’t looked up the numbers but I’d be shocked if that’s true. The eye test certainly doesn’t support that.

Espinal is the jays best defensive middle infielder. He had a brain fart it happens and whose to say Swanson even retires the next batter.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#235 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:17 pm

I'm still not convinced they are actually "good." I think they have the potential to be good, but they certainly haven't reached that at any point of this season. If this team didn't have the benefit of a more balanced schedule for the first time in a generation, is their record much better than .500?

I'm easily taking the 2021 and 2022 versions of the Jays over this group right now.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#236 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:25 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Schneider pulls his starter too early. Whether that's his style or analytics based, its got to change. A flaw in analytics is that it is single game based, not over an entire season or based on the pitchers as a group. Hire better people to do this, please.

Mitch White is not MLB quality. With bigger bullpens these days, no excuse not to have 2-4 innings guys there, at least 1 long guy is mandatory. Bullpens were easier to manage when you had just 5 guys and the starters went longer.

We have enough evidence to say that Schneider is very poor with respect to game management, but we also have enough evidence at this point to say that this specifically is directed by the organization. When you dictate managing every game with respect to a starter's average numbers without acknowledging the fact that some guys just have great days sometimes, you're gonna end up overusing the bullpen needlessly. That has ended up taking a serious toll on the bullpen.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,781

Post#237 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:31 pm

And yet somehow our bullpen has faced the 5th lowest # of batters in MLB. This season is so **** weird.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,923

Post#238 » by Michael Bradley » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:39 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:

I'm still not convinced they are actually "good." I think they have the potential to be good, but they certainly haven't reached that at any point of this season. If this team didn't have the benefit of a more balanced schedule for the first time in a generation, is their record much better than .500?

I'm easily taking the 2021 and 2022 versions of the Jays over this group right now.

That’s fair. The 2021 team might end up being the best Jays team in this run, which is a shame due to how that season ended (I hope having Charlie as the manager was worth it for Atkins). I think the Jays missing the playoffs is a very realistic outcome this season. The talent is there but a combination of underperforming and lack of urgency (Manoah and White still being on the 26 man roster points to that) might make us look back on losses like last night with a lot of regret. I’m still upset at the Chatwood and Brad Hand games in 2021. This stuff adds up.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#239 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:40 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:And yet somehow our bullpen has faced the 5th lowest # of batters in MLB. This season is so **** weird.

Erik Swanson specifically has fallen off considerably since the beginning of the season. He only threw 53 innings last year (which were far more effective than this season) and he's already at 47 now. Perhaps the Mariners knew that he could really only be used on a limited basis.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#240 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:48 pm

Michael Bradley wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

That’s fair. The 2021 team might end up being the best Jays team in this run, which is a shame due to how that season ended (I hope having Charlie as the manager was worth it for Atkins). I think the Jays missing the playoffs is a very realistic outcome this season. The talent is there but a combination of underperforming and lack of urgency (Manoah and White still being on the 26 man roster points to that) might make us look back on losses like last night with a lot of regret. I’m still upset at the Chatwood and Brad Hand games in 2021. This stuff adds up.

The Yankees with Aaron Judge are in all likelihood better than this version of the Jays, so I think missing the playoffs is a serious possibility. I'd place the odds at somewhere around 50/50. The lack of urgency has been a persistent characteristic of this management team for as long as they've been here. There have been times this season where they've gone with virtually no bench or very little bullpen (like last night) in a game needlessly. You also can't be wasting a roster spot on Mitch White (or throwing starts away on Alek Manoah) if you want to win every game possible.

As far as 2021, there's tons of blame to go around for that debacle with a team as good as that was (Montoyo, management, Chatwood, Hand, etc). Also don't forget the Canadian government also didn't allow that team to play home games for 4 months for reasons that still remain unclear to anyone.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays