All Things Vladdy: Debuting Friday the 26th

Moderator: JaysRule15

Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,105

Re: All Things Vlady: Debuting Friday the 26th 

Post#281 » by Schad » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:30 am

Still needs to lose the extreme neckbeard though. The combination of the weight and the beard always made me worry that Vlad was going to start expressing strong views about World of Warcraft Classic.
**** your asterisk.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,803

Post#282 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:31 am

Schad wrote:Still needs to lose the extreme neckbeard though. The combination of the weight and the beard always made me worry that Vlad was going to start expressing strong views about World of Warcraft Classic.

LOL! F*ck WoW! Never played it, never going to play it.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,487

Post#283 » by Cyrus » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:14 pm

I dunno if it's me, but he doesn't look like he lost that much weight to me. 40 pounds would be significant and I'm sure he has, but still looks to me bit over weight.

Which is so weird, cause his Dad was greek god in comparison to his Son, you would think those genetics would carry, but I guess poor habits and diet can derail that.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Post#284 » by Ado05 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:33 pm

He is still 6'2 240, so still a heavy dude. Just way better than before.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,010

Post#285 » by JaysRule15 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:12 am

Yeah, if you compare him with some of the other guys on the team, Vladdy still looks a bit overweight. But where he is right now is still a huge difference over where he was when the season restarted last year.

I expect that based on Vlad's body type, he'll never be the most fit guy in the room. Weight issues will likely always be a factor for him and he'll have to watch his diet and conditioning to prevent excessive weight.

Also, let's keep in mind that it hasn't even been 5 months since last season ended. It's not that easy to burn off fat and retain as much muscle mass as possible in that short span. I'm hopeful that Vladdy can continue to improve his conditioning as the season goes along. Hopefully by the mid-way point, he'll look even better than he does now.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,653

Post#286 » by polo007 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:24 pm

Vlad Jr.: Ready to launch? - Video - TSN.ca

He arrived in Toronto with more hype than any prospect in franchise history, but Vladimir Guerrero’s first two seasons were underwhelming. His weight loss made headlines, but is there anything in his swing that needs to be changed? Steve Phillips says yes, and explains why the time is right to do it now.
polo007
General Manager

Post#287 » by polo007 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:07 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,010

Post#288 » by JaysRule15 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:30 pm

Yea, it looks like Vlad has finally arrived. Hopefully he now realized the value of staying in shape and fitness is always an area of focus for him going forward.
polo007
General Manager

Post#289 » by polo007 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:38 pm

Read on Twitter
polo007
General Manager

Post#290 » by polo007 » Sat May 15, 2021 8:23 pm

Vladimir Guerrero Jr. showing significant improvement on defence for Toronto Blue Jays - TSN.ca

We tend to focus so much on Vladimir Guerrero Jr.’s offence because he can be a force with a bat in his hands.

For the longest time, the only attention that has been paid to his defence is identifying his inadequacies initially as a third baseman, then again when he made the move to first base last season. But he deserves to have his hard work acknowledged. He is a much better first baseman this season and it is due to his desire to be a better third baseman.

Much has been made of Guerrero’s weight loss and conditioning. He is in much better shape this year and the results are showing. He had hoped to be able to play third base again, and the Jays did a good job by leaving open that possibility of that happening to reward his motivation to get in shape. But there wasn’t any configuration of the roster that realistically had him as the everyday third baseman.

The great news is that Guerrero’s improvement offensively and defensively has reinforced the benefit of his better physical condition. The positive results offensively are clear, as he is among the leaders in a number of statistical categories.

Defensively, he is making plays that he couldn’t even imagine a year ago. Playing defence is as much about footwork as it is soft hands to catch the ball. His footwork is dramatically improved.

Another reason for his improved defensive performance is experience. Guerrero wasn’t properly prepared last season to play first base, but his poor physical condition upon reporting for Summer Camp left the Jays no other choice. He has had to experience every play at least once to learn what the angles and footwork are like on the right side of the infield. Now he knows what to expect and what to do when it happens.

It is hard to imagine that he would have doubts about his abilities but it is natural for even the best players to wonder whether they’ll ever figure things out. Guerrero’s self-confidence is back. He has the same posture and confident look that he showed in the minor leagues. He moves freely without hesitancy this season in a way that we didn’t see for a couple of years.

It is hard to know cause and effect when a player’s confidence wanes. Did his struggles on offence affect his defence or was it the other way around? Did he just have doubts about all that he had to overcome? Did the way he feels about his new physique bring back his swagger, or was it the success that he had because of his new body?

The mental part of the game is impossible to quantify, but it is at times more important than the physical skills of a player. How a player feels about himself and how he sees himself affect how he plays. The best players have a confidence in themselves that borders on cockiness. They don’t let mistakes or failures change the way they feel about their abilities.
polo007
General Manager

Post#291 » by polo007 » Mon May 17, 2021 2:57 pm

Read on Twitter
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#292 » by Schad » Mon May 17, 2021 6:09 pm

Which is a roundabout way of saying that Vlad has the second-best OPS+ in baseball, behind Mike Trout.
**** your asterisk.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#293 » by vaff87 » Tue May 18, 2021 1:48 am

Schad wrote:Which is a roundabout way of saying that Vlad has the second-best OPS+ in baseball, behind Mike Trout.

What’s with Juan Soto’s numbers? His statcast numbers are off the charts, but they’re just not matching his actual numbers. What’s going on there? I’m a bit befuddled as to how he has a higher xBA and xwOBA than Vladdy, tho. Only thing I can think of is that Vladdy has a high whiff percentage. But that’s more a product of him swinging out of his shoes in hitters counts. I don’t know for certain, but I doubt his whiff percentage is nearly as high with two strikes.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#294 » by Schad » Tue May 18, 2021 2:31 am

vaff87 wrote:What’s with Juan Soto’s numbers? His statcast numbers are off the charts, but they’re just not matching his actual numbers. What’s going on there? I’m a bit befuddled as to how he has a higher xBA and xwOBA than Vladdy, tho. Only thing I can think of is that Vladdy has a high whiff percentage. But that’s more a product of him swinging out of his shoes in hitters counts. I don’t know for certain, but I doubt his whiff percentage is nearly as high with two strikes.

Soto's getting unlucky, but he's also hitting the ball on the ground an awful lot. One of the lowest launch angles and highest GB% in baseball. Basically, 2019 Vlad and 2019 Soto appear to be involved in some sort of Freaky Friday ****.
**** your asterisk.
vaff87
RealGM

Post#295 » by vaff87 » Tue May 18, 2021 2:55 am

Schad wrote:
vaff87 wrote:What’s with Juan Soto’s numbers? His statcast numbers are off the charts, but they’re just not matching his actual numbers. What’s going on there? I’m a bit befuddled as to how he has a higher xBA and xwOBA than Vladdy, tho. Only thing I can think of is that Vladdy has a high whiff percentage. But that’s more a product of him swinging out of his shoes in hitters counts. I don’t know for certain, but I doubt his whiff percentage is nearly as high with two strikes.

Soto's getting unlucky, but he's also hitting the ball on the ground an awful lot. One of the lowest launch angles and highest GB% in baseball. Basically, 2019 Vlad and 2019 Soto appear to be involved in some sort of Freaky Friday ****.

His launch angle is down even more this year, but last year, Soto had a launch angle lower than Vlad’s, and still managed to hit like he was Lou Gehrig. In fact, Lou Gehrig only had one season where he posted a wRC+ higher than the 201 Soto posted last year. Although, I’m pretty certain if it was a full season, that number would have been lower. Easier to maintain that level for the 47 games he played last year, than a normal 150+. Still super impressive, though.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#296 » by Schad » Tue May 18, 2021 3:04 am

vaff87 wrote:His launch angle is down even more this year, but last year, Soto had a launch angle lower than Vlad’s, and still managed to hit like he was Lou Gehrig. In fact, Lou Gehrig only had one season where he posted a wRC+ higher than the 201 Soto posted last year. Although, I’m pretty certain if it was a full season, that number would have been lower. Easier to maintain that level for the 47 games he played last year, than a normal 150+. Still super impressive, though.

36.1% HR/FB last year, so when he hit the ball in the air, it went three miles. His xwOBA is higher because the hard-hit flyballs aren't leaving the park right now, but his FB% is also incredibly low, which is going to suppress his chances to hit for power.
**** your asterisk.
vaff87
RealGM

Post#297 » by vaff87 » Tue May 18, 2021 3:18 am

Schad wrote:
vaff87 wrote:His launch angle is down even more this year, but last year, Soto had a launch angle lower than Vlad’s, and still managed to hit like he was Lou Gehrig. In fact, Lou Gehrig only had one season where he posted a wRC+ higher than the 201 Soto posted last year. Although, I’m pretty certain if it was a full season, that number would have been lower. Easier to maintain that level for the 47 games he played last year, than a normal 150+. Still super impressive, though.

36.1% HR/FB last year, so when he hit the ball in the air, it went three miles. His xwOBA is higher because the hard-hit flyballs aren't leaving the park right now, but his FB% is also incredibly low, which is going to suppress his chances to hit for power.

For sure.

Vladdy has been just as good this year as Soto was last year. Pretty impressive.

Soto, last year - 2.4 fWAR in 47 games
Vladdy, this year - 2.3 fWAR in 39 games
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,568

Post#298 » by s e n s i » Tue May 18, 2021 6:43 pm

on pace for a 9 fWAR season which hasn't been done by a blue jay since
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,430

Post#299 » by Randle McMurphy » Tue May 18, 2021 7:39 pm

s e n s i wrote:on pace for a 9 fWAR season which hasn't been done by a blue jay since

His 188 wRC+ would be the highest in team history ahead of Bautista's 2011 180 wRC+. Of course, noted amnesty clause candidate Bautista had a 209 wRC+ in the 1st half that year (and an obscene Bonds-like 240 wRC+ in the first two months) before settling in at that paltry number. May not be easy for Vlad to keep this level up, but I'm here for seeing him try.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#300 » by Schad » Tue May 18, 2021 8:13 pm

On one hand, I'd be surprised if he kept it up. On the other...he still hasn't fully tapped into his power, and despite his crazy-high BB% we still haven't really reached the point where pitchers start flat-out refusing to throw him pitches near the zone when he's ahead in the count.

Which is honestly the next step, because while his situational numbers are very good across the board (I believe that he has the best hitting line in baseball in no-ball counts), his numbers when ahead in the count exceed the 1.000 OPS mark (ie., the "you should just give up and walk him" line) by enough that the math is going to be unavoidable pretty soon. He could easily get into the 20%+ walk rate territory by the end of the year.
**** your asterisk.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays