RealGM
And1: 12,525
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Re: Don Mattingly Hired as Bench Coach 

Post#41 » by SharoneWright » Thu Dec 1, 2022 4:38 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
You just arent getting it though. Schneider's reasoning was also due to the fact that he didnt want Gausman to go through the lineup for the 3rd time - a major analytics theme for starting pitchers. You can continue to argue the decision but I will leave this here.

Didn't want Gausman to face the 7,8,and 9 hitters for a 3rd time?? After being allowed to face 1 thru 6? That's the depth of your argument? That's an analytics decision? Come on man.

Read above. That was one part of it. Another part was wanting Mayza and his ground ball impact on a switch hitter. That's analytics. Whether it was a **** analytics decision or not, it was made.

Schneider panicked under the pressure of seeing baserunners on base. Probably had Mayza warming early because the game seemed out of reach and so was planning to use a lower-leverage arm next. Decided to just roll with his provisional plan even though circumstances on the field were changing. I don't think it's more complicated than that.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,755

Post#42 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Dec 1, 2022 4:42 pm

SharoneWright wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:Didn't want Gausman to face the 7,8,and 9 hitters for a 3rd time?? After being allowed to face 1 thru 6? That's the depth of your argument? That's an analytics decision? Come on man.

Read above. That was one part of it. Another part was wanting Mayza and his ground ball impact on a switch hitter. That's analytics. Whether it was a **** analytics decision or not, it was made.

Schneider panicked under the pressure of seeing baserunners on base. Probably had Mayza warming early because the game seemed out of reach and so was planning to use a lower-leverage arm. Decided to just roll with the initial plan even though circumstances on the field were changing. He was locked in on Mayza. I don't think it's more complicated than that.

Sure, that too added to it. There was analytics in the decision as well from what I've said. Have a hard time believing it was all feel for Mayza with bases loaded and 1 hit could change the entire game for game 164. Doesn't make any sense.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,568

Post#43 » by s e n s i » Thu Dec 1, 2022 4:46 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
You just arent getting it though. Schneider's reasoning was also due to the fact that he didnt want Gausman to go through the lineup for the 3rd time - a major analytics theme for starting pitchers. You can continue to argue the decision but I will leave this here.

Didn't want Gausman to face the 7,8,and 9 hitters for a 3rd time?? After being allowed to face 1 thru 6? That's the depth of your argument? That's an analytics decision? Come on man.

you don't need to die on this hill, my guy

it was the least analytics-based decision we saw all season as proven by like 8 other posters in this thread. let's just move on.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,781

Post#44 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Dec 1, 2022 4:47 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

Schneider panicked under the pressure of seeing baserunners on base. Probably had Mayza warming early because the game seemed out of reach and so was planning to use a lower-leverage arm. Decided to just roll with the initial plan even though circumstances on the field were changing. He was locked in on Mayza. I don't think it's more complicated than that.

Sure, that too added to it. There was analytics in the decision as well from what I've said. Have a hard time believing it was all feel for Mayza with bases loaded and 1 hit could change the entire game for game 164. Doesn't make any sense.

The decision did not make any sense, which is why everyone here questioned it during and after the game. If your definition of analytics is that loose though then every single decision in baseball is an analytics based decision and the term is meaningless.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,525
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#45 » by SharoneWright » Thu Dec 1, 2022 5:06 pm

Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Ranger One
Analyst
And1: 3,458

Post#46 » by Ranger One » Thu Dec 1, 2022 5:06 pm

Come in here looking for some interesting discussion about Mattingly, find two morons arguing about the definition of analytics for 3 pages instead. Good stuff.
"We are Rangers.
We walk in the dark places no others will enter.
We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.
We live for the One, we die for the One."
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#47 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Dec 1, 2022 5:45 pm

s e n s i wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:Didn't want Gausman to face the 7,8,and 9 hitters for a 3rd time?? After being allowed to face 1 thru 6? That's the depth of your argument? That's an analytics decision? Come on man.

you don't need to die on this hill, my guy

it was the least analytics-based decision we saw all season as proven by like 8 other posters in this thread. let's just move on.

Iv moved on but to argue like fairview saying it was all feel to put mayza in that situation is false

Whether the decision was a poor or great analytical decision doesnt matter. And even before i got into all this my original statement was mattingly will help balance feel and analytics imo.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#48 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Dec 1, 2022 5:51 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:

The decision did not make any sense, which is why everyone here questioned it during and after the game. If your definition of analytics is that loose though then every single decision in baseball is an analytics based decision and the term is meaningless.

It’s not loose, its analytics. You may disagree to the reasoning behind it and thats fine since it was a poor one. But to your point and confidently say it was 100% feel in game 163 with bases loaded… lol. I’d lean wrong on that one.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#49 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Dec 1, 2022 6:01 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

It’s not loose, its analytics. You may disagree to the reasoning behind it and thats fine since it was a poor one. But to your point and confidently say it was 100% feel in game 163 with bases loaded… lol. I’d lean wrong on that one.

Everything is not analytics. If you think this decision was analytics, then you might as well just label every decision in baseball analytics. Leaving Gausman in would have been an analytics choice. Bringing in Romano would have been analytics. Everything is analytics and nothing is analytics. What a fun metric!

As mentioned repeatedly: There are literally no statistics that would lead Schneider to make the decision to bring in Mayza. Statistics would have led him to make almost any other decision than the one he made. The only thing that exists is "he had Tim Mayza warming up and panicked when Gausman loaded the bases". That was the "analytics". He fell victim to the great managerial blunder: "I have to do something, I am the manager". Avoiding that idiocy is why Gibby is such a good manager.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#50 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Dec 1, 2022 6:38 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

Everything is not analytics. If you think this decision was analytics, then you might as well just label every decision in baseball analytics. Leaving Gausman in would have been an analytics choice. Bringing in Romano would have been analytics. Everything is analytics and nothing is analytics. What a fun metric!

As mentioned repeatedly: There are literally no statistics that would lead Schneider to make the decision to bring in Mayza. Statistics would have led him to make almost any other decision than the one he made. The only thing that exists is "he had Tim Mayza warming up and panicked when Gausman loaded the bases". That was the "analytics". He fell victim to the great managerial blunder: "I have to do something, I am the manager". Avoiding that idiocy is why Gibby is such a good manager.

We can agree to disagree this going nowhere. This going in circles. But again, Leaving in gausman was the feel decision which ultametely should have happend in that situation.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#51 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Dec 1, 2022 6:58 pm

Leaving Gausman in was a much better choice analytically, therefore it was not the "feel" decision and was in fact the analytics decision.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#52 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Dec 1, 2022 7:10 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:Leaving Gausman in was a much better choice analytically, therefore it was not the "feel" decision and was in fact the analytics decision.

K dude go to bed, you're being annoying now. Everyone knows leaving Guasman in was the feel approach in that situation.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#53 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Dec 1, 2022 7:17 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:Leaving Gausman in was a much better choice analytically, therefore it was not the "feel" decision and was in fact the analytics decision.

K dude go to bed, you're being annoying now. Everyone knows leaving Guasman in was the feel approach in that situation.

K dude, even though it's just you and one other person with everyone else disagreeing with you.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,105

Post#54 » by Schad » Thu Dec 1, 2022 7:17 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:

His 'ground ball impact on a switch hitter' is not "analytics". It's something that a dude in this thread just made up. Mayza is one of the best in baseball at getting left-handed hitters to produce grounders. He is not one of the best in baseball at getting right-handed hitters to produce grounders.

4.3% of Mayza's appearances against righties resulted in a home run. For Gausman, it was 2.5%. Mayza was by every statistical measure more likely to give up a home run there. It wasn't analytics, friend.
**** your asterisk.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#55 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Dec 1, 2022 7:21 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

K dude, even though it's just you and one other person with everyone else disagreeing with you.

Good. Stop spinning wheels now.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#56 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Dec 1, 2022 7:22 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

Nah, I'm going to keep posting until you decide to stop instead. I will then use you quitting to signify my victory.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#57 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Dec 1, 2022 7:25 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

Nah, I'm going to keep posting until you decide to stop instead. I will then use you quitting to signify my victory.

I stopped a while ago, just responding to people. If you dont like it, dont read it. But you are really misinformed if you dont think leaving Guasman was the feel play lol. That's a new one.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#58 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Dec 1, 2022 7:27 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

I stopped a while ago, just responding to people. If you dont like it, dont read it. But you are really misinformed if you dont think leaving Guasman was the feel play lol. That's a new one.

I am also just responding to people, funny how that works. Bringing in Mayza was entirely a feel call. It is evidenced by the fact that it was the literal worst statistical decision Schneider could have made in that spot. But you know that and just can't accept being wrong.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#59 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Dec 1, 2022 7:33 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

I am also just responding to people, funny how that works. Bringing in Mayza was entirely a feel call. It is evidenced by the fact that it was the literal worst statistical decision Schneider could have made in that spot. But you know that and just can't accept being wrong.

It entirely wasn't and you know leaving Guasman in was the feel call, you just cant admit you are wrong.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,105

Post#60 » by Schad » Thu Dec 1, 2022 7:36 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:It entirely wasn't and you know leaving Guasman in was the feel call, you just cant admit you are wrong.

Given that the analytics grounding is so obvious, what was the analytical grounding, again? Please use numbers, because analytics are (as you know, being an expert on them) grounded in numbers.
**** your asterisk.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays