Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,430

Re: Jays vs Twins - May 26 to 28, 2023 

Post#61 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun May 28, 2023 12:35 am

Hottie McShotty wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
I've been saying this for a while only to constantly be dismissed by you. This was the point I was making with guerrero all along. Kind of disappointing considering all the hype around him. He just doesn't look like the same level of threat as guys like judge who mash mistake after mistake. Vladdy seems so lost at times. Not what one would expect f4om a generational hitter who's now in his 5th season.

He'll probably still have decent production somewhere around the 800+ ops mark with 20-30 Homer's and 90ish rbis, which is still very good.... but I mean he's not carrying the offense like he was supposed to. His lack of home run power behind bichette is also alarming.

Yeah, except that most certainly is not the point you’ve been making all along. In fact, you had no real point other than bashing the team’s best hitter (which he still almost certainly is despite not getting back to 2021 levels) for apparently being unclutch or not hitting enough HRs or whatever other stuff you were spewing as he hit line drive rockets all over the field in April.

Vlad has been in the majors for four years now and in only one season he looked like a generational, superstar level hitter (which coincided with him playing a bunch of games in minor league parks). This doesn’t mean he isn’t still a very, very good hitter but if your expectations are for him to be Aaron Judge, that just simply isn’t fair at this point. He doesn’t have that kind of power.

He’s been in a brutal timing slump for about a week now but that too will inevitably pass. It always has with him.

Do you believe that criticism towards Vladdy's performance is unjustified? He was once considered by pundits a generational player who would lead the team for years to come. However, many argue that he hasn't lived up to expectations so far. My concern is that if we offer him a large contract without caution, we may regret it for years to come. It appears that Bichette is the superior player, and it would be wise for us to secure a long-term contract with him.

Depends what he’s being criticized for. He’s been 8 for his last 40 since he tweaked his knee but before that he was one of the better hitters in the league this season (150 wRC+). If a player is getting criticized during that level of performance (which Boogie was doing), the expectations are enormously out of whack.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,798
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#62 » by Boogie! » Sun May 28, 2023 12:37 am

Hottie McShotty wrote:
Madvillainy2004 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Didn't matter, Vlad's timing is WAY off.

He looked so locked in the first 10 or so games and hasn't had it since. Not sure what's up with him (can be said about half the roster right now).

The only plausible reason for this team's performance is a toxic team player or coach. Team morale may be suffering. It seems that at least half of the roster is not putting in their best effort so far and it's costing them. If this team falls below .500 they need to make some changes.

Idk though, I can't blame their struggles on lack of effort or low morale. You look at someone like manoah, you think he's sucking because of chemistry issues? Baseball is one of those team sports, that isn't really a team sport in that it's essentially 1v1 with 9 different guys. And even defensively it's individual mistakes that cost games, like throwing errors or fielding errors, not necessarily chemistry or morale issues.

It's just talent problems. Their bullpen sucks, their starters minus gausman and bassitt suck, and their offense isn't doing much to make up for it. Its not like basketball where there's a 5 as 1 concept, it essentially comes down to individual performances, and as a group the individual performances have just been crap.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#63 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun May 28, 2023 12:39 am

Boogie! wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
I've been saying this for a while only to constantly be dismissed by you. This was the point I was making with guerrero all along. Kind of disappointing considering all the hype around him. He just doesn't look like the same level of threat as guys like judge who mash mistake after mistake. Vladdy seems so lost at times. Not what one would expect f4om a generational hitter who's now in his 5th season.

He'll probably still have decent production somewhere around the 800+ ops mark with 20-30 Homer's and 90ish rbis, which is still very good.... but I mean he's not carrying the offense like he was supposed to. His lack of home run power behind bichette is also alarming.

Yeah, except that most certainly is not the point you’ve been making all along. In fact, you had no real point other than bashing the team’s best hitter (which he still almost certainly is despite not getting back to 2021 levels) for apparently being unclutch or not hitting enough HRs or whatever other stuff you were spewing as he hit line drive rockets all over the field in April.

Vlad has been in the majors for four years now and in only one season he looked like a generational, superstar level hitter (which coincided with him playing a bunch of games in minor league parks). This doesn’t mean he isn’t still a very, very good hitter but if your expectations are for him to be Aaron Judge, that just simply isn’t fair at this point. He doesn’t have that kind of power.

He’s been in a brutal timing slump for about a week now but that too will inevitably pass. It always has with him.

You literally just repeated what I said verbatim and but then somehow interpreted my purpose was for no other reason than to bash the teams best hitter.... when I repeatedly said in previous posts that he was my favourite player on the team and I watch most games to see him hit and have been disappointed with his lack of production because I've noticed flaws in his game that don't coincide with generational talent...

So when you say it, its some sort of altruistic logical statement but when I say it somehow the obvious nterpretation, despite my multiple disclaimers, is that I'm bashing him for no reason. Sounds like gaslighting narcissistic bs.

You were bashing Vlad for the entire month of April as he was hitting line drives all over the field at 100+ MPH and posting a 160 wRC+ because he wasn’t hitting enough HRs to your looking. If he did that all season, you’d have been looking at a top 5 hitter in the game.

Don’t come in here after he posts a 1.5 week slump after hurting his knee and pretend it is the same thing.
Boogie!
RealGM

Post#64 » by Boogie! » Sun May 28, 2023 12:40 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Hottie McShotty wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Yeah, except that most certainly is not the point you’ve been making all along. In fact, you had no real point other than bashing the team’s best hitter (which he still almost certainly is despite not getting back to 2021 levels) for apparently being unclutch or not hitting enough HRs or whatever other stuff you were spewing as he hit line drive rockets all over the field in April.

Do you believe that criticism towards Vladdy's performance is unjustified? He was once considered by pundits a generational player who would lead the team for years to come. However, many argue that he hasn't lived up to expectations so far. My concern is that if we offer him a large contract without caution, we may regret it for years to come. It appears that Bichette is the superior player, and it would be wise for us to secure a long-term contract with him.

Depends what he’s being criticized for. He’s been 8 for his last 40 since he tweaked his knee but before that he was one of the better hitters in the league this season (150 wRC+). If a player is getting criticized during that level of performance (which Boogie was doing), the expectations are enormously out of whack.

Coming from a guy who keeps poo pooing at gurriels currenr numbers and dismissing them as not sustainable to justify trading for a woefully unproductive varsho. Stop gaslighting.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#65 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun May 28, 2023 12:42 am

Boogie! wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Hottie McShotty wrote:

Coming from a guy who keeps poo pooing at gurriels cureenr numbers and dismissing them as not sustainable to justify trading for a woefully unproductive varsho. Stop gaslighting.

#1. Gurriel’s 2023 numbers aren’t sustainable.
#2. Varsho is a vastly superior player overall to Gurriel despite his offensive numbers right now.
#3. You’re the only one gaslighting here. You spent the entire last month bashing Vlad as he posted some of the league’s best numbers and now you are pretending he is performing exactly the same now as he was then after falling into one of the worst slumps in his career following a knee issue.
Boogie!
RealGM

Post#66 » by Boogie! » Sun May 28, 2023 12:43 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Yeah, except that most certainly is not the point you’ve been making all along. In fact, you had no real point other than bashing the team’s best hitter (which he still almost certainly is despite not getting back to 2021 levels) for apparently being unclutch or not hitting enough HRs or whatever other stuff you were spewing as he hit line drive rockets all over the field in April.

You literally just repeated what I said verbatim and but then somehow interpreted my purpose was for no other reason than to bash the teams best hitter.... when I repeatedly said in previous posts that he was my favourite player on the team and I watch most games to see him hit and have been disappointed with his lack of production because I've noticed flaws in his game that don't coincide with generational talent...

So when you say it, its some sort of altruistic logical statement but when I say it somehow the obvious nterpretation, despite my multiple disclaimers, is that I'm bashing him for no reason. Sounds like gaslighting narcissistic bs.

You were bashing Vlad for the entire month of April as he was hitting line drives all over the field at 100+ MPH and posting a 160 wRC+ because he wasn’t hitting enough HRs to your looking. If he did that all season, you’d have been looking at a top 5 hitter in the game.

Don’t come in here after he posts a 1.5 week slump after hurting his knee and pretend it is the same thing.

You honestly sound so insanely delusional. I posted a handful of times about guerrero not performing in specific situations, making the specific observations about not mashing meatballs of missing good pitches. Putting disclaimers with it saying IM NOt SAYInG HES A
BAD HiTTER just to make it clear my intentions. And yet your perception is "bashing." No, bashing is you complaining in every post about every managerial decision Schneider makes.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#67 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun May 28, 2023 12:45 am

Boogie! wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Boogie! wrote:

You honestly sound so insanely delusional. I posted a handful of times about guerrero not performing in specific situations, making the specific observations about not mashing meatballs of missing good pitches. Putting disclaimers with it saying IM NOt SAYInG HES A
BAD HiTTER just to make it clear my intentions. And yet your perception is "bashing." No, bashing is you complaining in every post about every managerial decision Schneider makes.

You spent an entire month bitching about Vlad not hitting enough HRs while he was hitting like .350 and posting some of the best numbers in the league. We are talking about delusions here?
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#68 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun May 28, 2023 12:50 am

Boogie! wrote:
Madvillainy2004 wrote:Need Vlad to come clutch here.
I don't trust vlad.

Boogie! wrote:
Madvillainy2004 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Stop it.

He throws only fastball and sliders 3-2 you swing at anything close. He hung one to Springer already so Vlad was on for a slider he even took a couple down and away. That was over the plate you have to swing there.

I'm really more concerned about vlads lack of clutchness overall. He keeps missing hittable pitches.

Boogie! wrote:See thats rhe same pitch vladdy got and abreu just shortens his swing and pokes it into the outfield. It seems guerreros approach in clutch situations is not ideal.

These were posted on April 20th when Vlad was hitting .338 with a 154 wRC+ and he's gonna dare to come in here and say that all he's ever been saying was that Vlad wasn't as good as 2021. Talk about gaslighting lol
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#69 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun May 28, 2023 12:58 am

Schad wrote:
Boogie! wrote:**** groundball guerrero

Entered today hitting .341/.424/.541 for **** sake.

Edit: he also has the lowest GB% of his career this year. And by far the lowest K rate, too.

From April 24th about "Groundball Guerrero." When he had a 164 wRC+ and was just absolutely destroying the ball all over the field on a line.

Totally normal criticism here.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,823

Post#70 » by Raps in 4 » Sun May 28, 2023 1:04 am

Madvillainy2004 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Madvillainy2004 wrote:I can't believe we couldn't try for like Bryan Reynolds instead of Varsho for Gabe.

I would imagine they did.

Yeah I guess Pitt liked him too much. Maybe it said more about Gabes value that he couldn't fetch us more. I'm not ready to throw Varsho out just yet but the start has been uh not good.

We didn't need to settle for Varsho though. We could have held onto Moreno until a better deal came along. There was absolutely no need to rush into a trade.
Boogie!
RealGM

Post#71 » by Boogie! » Sun May 28, 2023 1:05 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:You were bashing Vlad for the entire month of April as he was hitting line drives all over the field at 100+ MPH and posting a 160 wRC+ because he wasn’t hitting enough HRs to your looking. If he did that all season, you’d have been looking at a top 5 hitter in the game.

You spent an entire month bitching about Vlad not hitting enough HRs while he was hitting like .350 and posting some of the best numbers in the league. We are talking about delusions here?

I get what your problem is now. It took a slump and you looking at his advanced numbers to finally make some statement that vlads timing was off because you could finally justify it with numbers. You can't just watch a game and make observations on how or why they're performing the way they are if it goes against the numbers. But only if you think the numbers make sense and are sustainable. Only your baseball acumen is correct.

You also seem to think everything is literal and one can't just talk **** for the hell of it. I find it odd how you can fly off the rails so easily at other people's criticism.... do you read your own posts? You like to project this concept that I'm just some delusional hater, and yet every other post of yours is complaining about something. Schneider, or Montoyo last year, or mayza or someone.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#72 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun May 28, 2023 1:10 am

Boogie! wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Boogie! wrote:

I get what your problem is now. It took a slump and you looking at his advanced numbers to finally make some statement that vlads timing was off because you could finally justify it with numbers. You can't just watch a game and make observations on how or why they're performing the way they are if it goes against the numbers. But only if you think the numbers make sense and are sustainable. Only your baseball acumen is correct.

No, I'm pointing out that he's looked absolutely horrific at the plate this week because he has. His swings are way too long and he's behind everything. That may or may not have anything to do with his knee, but he's been 8 for 40 since missing those games with very little power. The circumstances are quite a bit different than a month ago when Vlad was squaring up everything and hitting line drives all over the field with a 160+ wRC+ (when you still were whining about him hitting too many groundballs or not hitting in the clutch).

You also seem to think everything is literal and one can't just talk **** for the hell of it. I find it odd how you can fly off the rails so easily at other people's criticism.... do you read your own posts? You like to project this concept that I'm just some delusional hater, and yet every other post of yours is complaining about something. Schneider, or Montoyo last year, or mayza or someone.

If you're bitching about the team's best hitter while he is completely locked in hitting .340 with a 165 wRC+ (rather than, say, the ludicrous decisions of Montoyo/Schneider that cost the team the playoffs in 2021 and cost them a playoff game in 2022), yeah I think that might be just a bit of a sign that you're a hater.
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,299

Post#73 » by Mehar » Sun May 28, 2023 3:50 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Madvillainy2004 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Didn't matter, Vlad's timing is WAY off.

He looked so locked in the first 10 or so games and hasn't had it since. Not sure what's up with him (can be said about half the roster right now).

149 wRC+ in April, 111 wRC+ in May (although worse after today's game). It's just a pretty bad slump, he had similar ones last year too in May and September so I'm sure he'll turn it around eventually.

It does not look like he's going to get back to what he was in 2021 though.

This is Moreno's first year as a Starting Catcher. Not even two months as a Starter, and he has had a better year up to date than Varsho, Kirk and Jansen. Posters who loved that trade like you hope Moreno regresses. I think he will only get better in time, and much better defensively and offensively in 3 years time, since this is Varsho's 4th season in MLB. We had 3 years of hitting data on Varsho, and I got more major questions about him than Moreno. He had a batting average of .235 last year. So, you hope he can get to that level. I agree with you that at least he is an excellent defender.

However, I smirk when everyone who supported that trade think Gurriel and Moreno will only regress from here on out, while Varsho will only get better and not regress. Varsho's Batting Average, OPS, and OBP last year all regressed from 2021. It has further regressed this year. However, there is no way Gurriel keeps up his insane hitting stats the past month. He will regress, but not sure by how much. Even if you want to leave Gurriel out of the equation, and focus on strictly Moreno, Arizona got 6 years of control left on a potential all-star Catcher for an outfield version of Ryan Goins with a bit more pop. Their fans and broadcasters are thanking Toronto for the deal, for good reason.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#74 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun May 28, 2023 3:51 am

Mehar wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Madvillainy2004 wrote:

149 wRC+ in April, 111 wRC+ in May (although worse after today's game). It's just a pretty bad slump, he had similar ones last year too in May and September so I'm sure he'll turn it around eventually.

It does not look like he's going to get back to what he was in 2021 though.

This is Moreno's first year as a Starting Catcher. Not even two months as a Starter, and he has had a better year up to date than Varsho, Kirk and Jansen. Posters who loved that trade like you hope Moreno regresses. I think he will only get better in time, and much better defensively and offensively in 3 years time, since this is Varsho's 4th season in MLB. We had 3 years of hitting data on Varsho, and I got more major questions about him than Moreno. He had a batting average of .235 last year. So, you hope he can get to that level. I agree with you that at least he is an excellent defender.

However, I smirk when everyone who supported that trade think Gurriel and Moreno will only regress from here on out, while Varsho will only get better and not regress. Varsho's Batting Average, OPS, and OBP last year all regressed from 2021. It has further regressed this year. However, there is no way Gurriel keeps up his insane hitting stats the past month. He will regress, but not sure by how much. Even if you want to leave Gurriel out of the equation, and focus on strictly Moreno, Arizona got 6 years of control left on a potential all-star Catcher for an outfield version of Ryan Goins with a bit more pop. Their fans and broadcasters are thanking Toronto for the deal, for good reason.

My post there has nothing to do with Moreno? Although I will note that he down's to a 94 wRC+ after today's game. With his poor K/BB and lack of power, serious questions about his bat still remain.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,525
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#75 » by SharoneWright » Sun May 28, 2023 4:34 am

Varsho too short.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,299

Post#76 » by Mehar » Sun May 28, 2023 4:36 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Madvillainy2004 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:I would imagine they did.

Yeah I guess Pitt liked him too much. Maybe it said more about Gabes value that he couldn't fetch us more. I'm not ready to throw Varsho out just yet but the start has been uh not good.

Moreno has a 44 wRC+ vs. RHP even this year, so there are still major questions about his bat.

Varsho will probably get back at least to what he was in 2021/2022 in time (which is a league average bat with high level OF defense), but it's sure rough right now.

I meant to reply to this post you made earlier above (Sorry for the wrong quote previously). My point still remains. You talk about serious questions about Moreno, but this is his first year as a Starter (only two full months in), and he has already been better than Jansen, Kirk, and Varsho up to date. This is Varsho's 4th year in MLB, and who knows how much more improved Moreno will be in 3 years, defensively and offensively with the bat. We have 3 Years of Hitting Data on Ryan Goins with a bit more Pop Daulton Varsho. He has been a pretty bad hitter overall in three years, including hitting only .188 in his Rookie year of 2020. He strikes out a ton, and you talk about regression. Varsho's hitting stats (.235 BA, OPS, OBP) all declined in 2022 from 2021. They are worse in 2023 compared to 2022 (BA, SLG, OPS, OBP).

So, you talk about question marks about Moreno about his bat, but Varsho has regressed much more in 2023. I got more major questions marks with him, than I do Moreno with the bat. I know you loved the trade, and seem more focused on the negatives of Gurriel and Moreno (much more than the guy you loved Varsho) but the facts are the facts right now. I hope Varsho does turn it around too, but people like you were hoping he would be a different player in a new league, at the Rogers Centre, and with a new change of scenery. However, this guy Varsho is the same guy who he has always been for 3 seasons, and he has gotten worse since 2021. I know you do not want to bring up Gurriel, even thought it was a 2 for 1 trade and it makes the trade more laughable than it was; but to give up 6 years of control for a potential all-star catcher at a premium position behind the plate, along with an above average hitter in Gurriel for a Ryan Goins with a Bit more Pop in the outfield was the definition of a joke courtesy of Dumb and Dumber Shapiro and Atkins. Just like their joke Frasso for Mitch White trade.
Boogie!
RealGM

Post#77 » by Boogie! » Sun May 28, 2023 5:18 am

Useless post.
GameChannel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,099

Post#78 » by GameChannel » Sun May 28, 2023 5:24 am

When are they firing the manager and shatkins?
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,525
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#79 » by SharoneWright » Sun May 28, 2023 5:31 am

GameChannel wrote:When are they firing the manager and shatkins?

Right after we hear about an "executives-only" meeting.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#80 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun May 28, 2023 6:18 pm

The Jays continue to get thrown out on the bases with Bo Bichette at the plate for some reason.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays