Moderator: JaysRule15

Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,108

Re: 2022 Minor League/Prospects Discussion Thread 

Post#721 » by Schad » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:35 am

TR50 wrote:
Schad wrote:Barger's K rate is over 30%. No doubting the power and bat speed, but I really do think he's going to need to simplify his approach to succeed in the majors. The high leg kick and elaborate setup just makes him that much more vulnerable if his timing is out of whack.

I haven't known much about him until this offseason or so. I always saw him as a Chapman replacement type. That being said, we all know prospects are essentially lottery tickets.

I know this is the MIL prospects chat, but do you see any possibility of Chapman returning on another deal?

Unlikely, and if he has a big season, it's probably not highly advisable either. Players with Chapman's profile -- big power, high K -- tend to age poorly, and while a lot of Chapman's value is in his defense, that won't sustain a nine-figure contract if his bat recedes.
**** your asterisk.
TR50
General Manager
And1: 1,211

Post#722 » by TR50 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:41 am

Schad wrote:
TR50 wrote:
Schad wrote:Barger's K rate is over 30%. No doubting the power and bat speed, but I really do think he's going to need to simplify his approach to succeed in the majors. The high leg kick and elaborate setup just makes him that much more vulnerable if his timing is out of whack.

I haven't known much about him until this offseason or so. I always saw him as a Chapman replacement type. That being said, we all know prospects are essentially lottery tickets.

I know this is the MIL prospects chat, but do you see any possibility of Chapman returning on another deal?

Unlikely, and if he has a big season, it's probably not highly advisable either. Players with Chapman's profile -- big power, high K -- tend to age poorly, and while a lot of Chapman's value is in his defense, that won't sustain a nine-figure contract if his bat recedes.

I figured as much.

I realize contract years may be a thing, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if Chappy has some serious valleys this year as well. Still hopeful that the peaks will outweigh them.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,199

Post#723 » by DelAbbot » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:32 am

Schad wrote:
TR50 wrote:

One thing Atkins has done well is not buy high on FA, so yeah let Chapman walk if he has a FA-driven outperformance year.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,534

Post#724 » by dagger » Mon May 1, 2023 10:37 pm

All those early season rainouts in the minors seemed to have affected some of our best offensive prospects. So right now, there doesn't seem to be rationale for pushing anyone to the major league level in place of, say Epinal or Biggio. For next season however, one swap may be emerging. Spencer Horwitz has pushed his average up o about .300. At this stage, the Jays likely wouldn't entertain bringing back Brandon Belt, so a left hand hitting 1B on the cheap - Horwitz might be the replacement.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,654

Post#725 » by polo007 » Tue May 2, 2023 7:36 pm

Read on Twitter
dagger
RealGM

Post#726 » by dagger » Thu May 4, 2023 12:05 am

Excellent debut by Brandon Barriera for Dunedin. Four no hit innings with one walk and six K. 49 pitches.

Also, another nice outing by 2021 4th rounder Chad Dallas at Vancouver: 6IP, 1H, 1unearned run, 1BB, 9K, 78 pitches. In four starts, he's given up 2 extra base hits, both doubles. His numbers through four starts are tracking a lot better than last year's 12 start debut. Not very projectable as a starter at 5'11" with a mid-90s FB and killer splitter, but could have a Trevor Richards-type role down the line as a bulk reliever. I see him getting promoted as soon as one of the New Hampshire starers is promoted to Buffalo.

The jays also have moved reliever Juan Nunez to NH. A 2013 international signing with a checkered history - missed season 2016 with injury, released, brought back, missed 2020 like everyone, he's 27 now and has added some significant velocity. Hitting 100 on occasion, now profiling as a one inning guy. I'd guess he gets fast tracked to AAA if he can sustain that kind of velocity.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
polo007
General Manager

Post#727 » by polo007 » Sat May 6, 2023 4:23 am

Read on Twitter
dagger
RealGM

Post#728 » by dagger » Sat May 6, 2023 3:22 pm

Adam Kloffenstein presents an interesting back-from-the-dead possibility. Third round pick, big overslot bonus baby in 2018, which vaulted him among our top prospects in prospect rankings, he nevertheless failed to produce as hoped along the way. Last season he was pretty lame at A and AA, suffered an apparent loss of velocity, he was a good bet to be rocked early in his starts. By this winter, he was out of prospect rankings entirely. Not one of our top 30. And his first start this season looked like more of the same, but he has done better since, bringing his numbers well below his career and 2022 levels. Better, across the board. His last starts, he has made it through six and seven innings. Yesterday, he threw six scoreless with 8K and 0BB. His pitch counts are pretty efficient because he's a strike thrower.

Now, he pitches to contact, so he gives up hits - seven yesterday, including a double and a triple - but seems to have a knack of getting out of trouble. His GO-AO yesterday was 7-0. He's got very good location and likes to work the strike zone - he's the opposite of Yosfer Zueleta at Buffalo whose pitch chart looks like the rings of Saturn. I don't know where his velocity is at, and I am not ready to deem him a prospect again, but there is definitely progress of a kind at work, and considering that a) he's still only 22 and b) none of the starters at Buffalo is a prospect (other than Zueleta) or particularly effective, I could see Kloffenstein getting a promotion if he can sustain his current improvement.
dagger
RealGM

Post#729 » by dagger » Sun May 7, 2023 7:42 pm

CJ Van Eck threw three scoreless innings for Dunedin. First game since 2021 and subsequent TJ surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#730 » by Schad » Mon May 8, 2023 11:55 pm

dagger wrote:Adam Kloffenstein presents an interesting back-from-the-dead possibility. Third round pick, big overslot bonus baby in 2018, which vaulted him among our top prospects in prospect rankings, he nevertheless failed to produce as hoped along the way. Last season he was pretty lame at A and AA, suffered an apparent loss of velocity, he was a good bet to be rocked early in his starts. By this winter, he was out of prospect rankings entirely. Not one of our top 30. And his first start this season looked like more of the same, but he has done better since, bringing his numbers well below his career and 2022 levels. Better, across the board. His last starts, he has made it through six and seven innings. Yesterday, he threw six scoreless with 8K and 0BB. His pitch counts are pretty efficient because he's a strike thrower.

Now, he pitches to contact, so he gives up hits - seven yesterday, including a double and a triple - but seems to have a knack of getting out of trouble. His GO-AO yesterday was 7-0. He's got very good location and likes to work the strike zone - he's the opposite of Yosfer Zueleta at Buffalo whose pitch chart looks like the rings of Saturn. I don't know where his velocity is at, and I am not ready to deem him a prospect again, but there is definitely progress of a kind at work, and considering that a) he's still only 22 and b) none of the starters at Buffalo is a prospect (other than Zueleta) or particularly effective, I could see Kloffenstein getting a promotion if he can sustain his current improvement.

I still just can't see it. He's sitting 89-91, and a pitch-to-contact guy with that sort of velo is generally going to get rocked at higher levels. Might profile reasonably well as a middle reliever if he can add a couple ticks on the FB, though.
**** your asterisk.
dagger
RealGM

Post#731 » by dagger » Wed May 10, 2023 1:16 am

Leo Jimenez, the Jays' @19 prospect on Pipeline has crawled his way up to .300. Batting leadoff. Not much power, but his D is excellent, as Pipeline suggests, he could play SS in the majors already.

https://www.milb.com/gameday/fisher-cats-vs-fightin-phils/2023/05/09/725756#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=box,game=725756

https://www.milb.com/player/leo-jimenez-677870
polo007
General Manager

Post#732 » by polo007 » Wed May 10, 2023 3:49 am

Read on Twitter
polo007
General Manager

Post#733 » by polo007 » Wed May 10, 2023 3:50 am

Read on Twitter
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,463

Post#734 » by Lateral Quicks » Wed May 10, 2023 11:41 am

Barger and Lopez are in the dumps right now. Maybe it's just disappointment at not making the big club, or maybe it's more exposure has identified some weaknesses teams are exploiting. They both need to get out of the funk soon...
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
dagger
RealGM

Post#735 » by dagger » Thu May 11, 2023 3:01 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:Barger and Lopez are in the dumps right now. Maybe it's just disappointment at not making the big club, or maybe it's more exposure has identified some weaknesses teams are exploiting. They both need to get out of the funk soon...

Lopez is a head-scratcher. Barger is on the injured list, and I don't know if he was playing with the injury prior to going in the list. Mind you, with Cavan Biggio hitting .138, even a struggling minor leaguer wouldn't be that much worse, and Barger could be used as a late inning defensive replacement at SS for Mr. Throw the Ball Away.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#736 » by Schad » Thu May 11, 2023 10:56 pm

dagger wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:Barger and Lopez are in the dumps right now. Maybe it's just disappointment at not making the big club, or maybe it's more exposure has identified some weaknesses teams are exploiting. They both need to get out of the funk soon...

Lopez is a head-scratcher. Barger is on the injured list, and I don't know if he was playing with the injury prior to going in the list. Mind you, with Cavan Biggio hitting .138, even a struggling minor leaguer wouldn't be that much worse, and Barger could be used as a late inning defensive replacement at SS for Mr. Throw the Ball Away.

Barger isn't at all a good defensive SS, and almost certainly will not play SS as a major leaguer. For the sake of comparison, his career fielding percentage at SS is .935, and this year it's sub .900 in limited starts. "Mr. Throw the Ball Away" is at .964 this season. He has committed 4 errors in 36 games, while Barger has committed 3 in 9. For his flaws (and he actually grades out as an average SS this year by Defensive Runs Saved, after last year's yips...he's been average or better every year but one) Bichette is miles better at the position.
**** your asterisk.
dagger
RealGM

Post#737 » by dagger » Thu May 18, 2023 5:25 pm

Keep an eye on Hagan Danner, he looks like a candidate to promotion to BUF. Also, Chad Dallas has been promoted from Vancouver to NH, hopefully on merit and not because Tiedemann faces a longer absence than "day to day"
dagger
RealGM

Post#738 » by dagger » Sat May 20, 2023 2:22 pm

Nice AA start for Chad Dallas, our fourth round pick in 2021.

7IP, 0R, 2H, 2BB, 9K.

Dallas is unranked by MLBpipeline, he's not a high velocity guy and I'd say at 5[11" and almost 23 years old, he has only modest projectability, but he's locates well, induces a lot of soft contact. Given the generally depressing performance of the farm system so far, you have to celebrate achievers. Anyway, given how bad the starters are at BUF, New Hampshire might not be Dallas' last stop this season or even this spring.

A year ago, BA did rank him 19th on the Jays prospect list and had this commentary.

“Dallas is an athletic pitcher, with an up-tempo delivery, and a smooth motion toward the plate despite some effort due to the pace. He delivers the ball from a high three-quarter slot, with a short, fast arm action, a heavy drop and drive operation and a strong leg block, that portends potential velocity gains to be had. Dallas works off of a four pitch mix that features above-average spin. His four-seam fastball has moderate hop, sitting 91-94 mph, touching 96 mph at peak, and is used primarily to set up his trio of secondaries early in counts. His horizontal breaking slider has good velocity sitting in the mid-80s, touching as high as 89 mph, and is his best swing and miss pitch by a wide margin. He shows excellent command of the pitch, and can throw it for strikes or exaggerate the shape to induce chases off the plate glove side. His low-80s curveball is used interchangeably with his slider, featuring 11-5 shape and heavier downward drop than his slider. The pitch is his primary secondary against lefthanded hitters, and is an effective, but not overpowering offering. He throws a low-90s cutter that produced good results in limited 2021 usage. Dallas has all the ingredients of a potential back-end starter, with upside to add more velocity to his fastball. Excellent feel for spin, and command of his secondaries drive his profile.”
polo007
General Manager

Post#739 » by polo007 » Tue May 30, 2023 9:42 pm

Read on Twitter
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,489

Post#740 » by Cyrus » Tue Jun 6, 2023 12:33 am

What's happened or our ranking of our prospect pipeline, we got like no one that's close to graduating that can be impact. Like I'm not talking about 25th or 26th man type.

Is all our "good" prospects like in rookie or a ball, so they are far away?

Return to Toronto Blue Jays