ImageImageImageImageImage

PLAYOFFS Game 2 2022 WC: On the brink - Jays v. Marinerds

Moderator: JaysRule15

C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,221

Re: PLAYOFFS Game 2 2022 WC: On the brink - Jays v. Marinerds 

Post#781 » by C Court » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:13 pm

When the Jays hire an actual human GM instead of a robot GM, then maybe I'll listen to the year end presser.

That said, I'm in favour of robot umpires.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,907

Post#782 » by Hottie McShotty » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:11 am

Madvillainy2004 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:- Springer has a concussion and shoulder sprain.

- "I find it hard to believe we could find a better option than Schneider". Atkins has no idea what to look for in a successful baseball manager.

- This one woman ripped into him asking why nobody took accountability for the loss. We need more of that from our journalists. Of course, Ross took no accountability himself.

- "I'm confident we can develop internally". Code for "prepare for minimal changes in the off-season".

- Someone asks him if he'd consider trading any pieces of the core. He responds with a firm "no chance".

- "It's not just pitching that gets you to the WS". That's rich, considering the season we just had.

- Someone asks "why hasn't the team done a better job developing relievers?" Atkins proceeds to give a BS non-answer.

Useless press conference, but that was to be expected. Atkins does not inspire any confidence.

Lmao it's not just pitching but it's definitely a part of it. Especially considering we missed the playoffs on 2021 because of our inconsistent starters and bad bullpen lol. Idk man what's his track record for success that I gotta trust this guy to build a contender?

No track record. No success in the playoffs. You can't trust him.

Thanks for the recap Raps in 4.

This hurts even more now that the next round of the playoffs is about to start. It could have been us playing tonight.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,653

Post#783 » by polo007 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:11 am

Read on Twitter
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,761

Post#784 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:14 am

polo007 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I like him overall but damn he made so many bad decisions in game 2
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,825

Post#785 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:18 am

polo007 wrote:
Read on Twitter

He's a good player development manager, but an awful tactical manager. I can live with this if Atkins builds an idiot-proof team, but he won't.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,825

Post#786 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:44 am

“I thought it sequenced out pretty well,” said Schneider, defending his decision following the loss. “[Tim] Mayza is a tough guy to get underneath and hit the ball out of the ballpark. Especially, we like that with Santana right-handed as opposed to left-handed.

So he deliberately wanted Mayza (RHBs hit .291 against him, LHBs hit .162) pitching to a RHB Santana (134 wRC+ against LHP, 84 wRC+ against RHP)?

Is he a **** moron? Does he have any **** awareness of what's going on in the game at all? This might literally be the dumbest thing I've ever heard a manager say.

“There's always going to be times where I could sit here for about six months and second-guess myself, but right now I don't.”

Maybe you should. That's how learning happens.
Raptor_Guy
General Manager
And1: 3,063

Post#787 » by Raptor_Guy » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:04 pm

Did we ever get an explanation as to why Tapia was shifted so far to the right on the Suarez hit that started the rally in the 8th? If we were playing straight up that's an easy out.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,430

Post#788 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:11 pm

Raptor_Guy wrote:Did we ever get an explanation as to why Tapia was shifted so far to the right on the Suarez hit that started the rally in the 8th? If we were playing straight up that's an easy out.

The Jays shift significantly in the outfield all the time. Guessing their charts indicate Suarez rarely hits the ball where he did (and he completely missed that particular ball off the bat).

The real issue for me is why Tapia was even in the game at all with a lead with JBJ on the bench.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Raptor_Guy
General Manager
And1: 3,063

Post#789 » by Raptor_Guy » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:13 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Raptor_Guy wrote:Did we ever get an explanation as to why Tapia was shifted so far to the right on the Suarez hit that started the rally in the 8th? If we were playing straight up that's an easy out.

The Jays shift significantly in the outfield all the time. Guessing their charts indicate Suarez rarely hits the ball where he did (and he completely missed that particular ball off the bat).

The real issue is why Tapia was even in the game at all with a lead with JBJ on the bench.

Yea I'm not sure why he was on the playoff roster if they weren't going to use him in that exact situation.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#790 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:15 pm

Raptor_Guy wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

The real issue is why Tapia was even in the game at all with a lead with JBJ on the bench.

Yea I'm not sure why he was on the playoff roster if they weren't going to use him in that exact situation.

Makes little sense. It still makes no sense to me why Whit was pulled from the game as well, but if he's going to be pulled, it should certainly be for the better defender with that significant lead and not Raimel Tapia.
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,907

Post#791 » by Hottie McShotty » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:24 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
polo007 wrote:
Read on Twitter

He's a good player development manager, but an awful tactical manager. I can live with this if Atkins builds an idiot-proof team, but he won't.

It's a process, it's a process, it's a process.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,315

Post#792 » by Parataxis » Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:55 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Raptor_Guy wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:The Jays shift significantly in the outfield all the time. Guessing their charts indicate Suarez rarely hits the ball where he did (and he completely missed that particular ball off the bat).

Makes little sense. It still makes no sense to me why Whit was pulled from the game as well, but if he's going to be pulled, it should certainly be for the better defender with that significant lead and not Raimel Tapia.

Because he took a fastball to the back of the neck?
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#793 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:41 pm

Parataxis wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Raptor_Guy wrote:

It was a slider. But then why not pull him from the game immediately after that happens? Why did he run at all?

There’s an argument to pull him for JBJ for defense regardless, there’s no argument to pull him for Tapia at all.
Parataxis
General Manager

Post#794 » by Parataxis » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:25 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Parataxis wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Makes little sense. It still makes no sense to me why Whit was pulled from the game as well, but if he's going to be pulled, it should certainly be for the better defender with that significant lead and not Raimel Tapia.

It was a slider. But then why not pull him from the game immediately after that happens? Why did he run at all?

There’s an argument to pull him for JBJ for defense regardless, there’s no argument to pull him for Tapia at all.

I assume that after the HBP he said he felt fine, but then when he sat down after the inning, he realised he was in more pain than he thought.
rarefind
RealGM
And1: 10,070

Post#795 » by rarefind » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:55 pm

Parataxis wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Parataxis wrote:

I assume that after the HBP he said he felt fine, but then when he sat down after the inning, he realised he was in more pain than he thought.

The point remains, in the top of the 6th with a lead we opted to get Tapia's bat into the game in lieu of JBJ's glove in a game that we were leading. :banghead:
Parataxis
General Manager

Post#796 » by Parataxis » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:04 pm

rarefind wrote:
Parataxis wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:It was a slider. But then why not pull him from the game immediately after that happens? Why did he run at all?

The point remains, in the top of the 6th with a lead we opted to get Tapia's bat into the game in lieu of JBJ's glove in a game that we were leading. :banghead:

Yup. I agree with that. But I was answering the question of why Merrifield was pulled.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#797 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:57 pm

Parataxis wrote:
rarefind wrote:
Parataxis wrote:

Yup. I agree with that. But I was answering the question of why Merrifield was pulled.

Did Schneider ever say that was why Merrifield was pulled? Or that he had any injury at all? I can't find any record of it and there's been no update in any regard about his status. I doubt the question was even asked knowing this city's media.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,161

Post#798 » by DelAbbot » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:55 am

polo007 wrote:
Read on Twitter

John Schneider's stubbornness is overwhelming
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#799 » by DelAbbot » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:57 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
“I thought it sequenced out pretty well,” said Schneider, defending his decision following the loss. “[Tim] Mayza is a tough guy to get underneath and hit the ball out of the ballpark. Especially, we like that with Santana right-handed as opposed to left-handed.

So he deliberately wanted Mayza (RHBs hit .291 against him, LHBs hit .162) pitching to a RHB Santana (134 wRC+ against LHP, 84 wRC+ against RHP)?

Is he a **** moron? Does he have any **** awareness of what's going on in the game at all? This might literally be the dumbest thing I've ever heard a manager say.

“There's always going to be times where I could sit here for about six months and second-guess myself, but right now I don't.”

Maybe you should. That's how learning happens.

I FCKING CALLED IT. That fcking retaard didn't bother look up Santana's actual splits and just assumed all switch hitters are worse from the right side. This team is a treadmill for as long as Atkins is at the top.
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#800 » by DelAbbot » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:58 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
polo007 wrote:
Read on Twitter

This exact quote was used for Charlie Montoyo

Return to Toronto Blue Jays