ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Jays @ Guardians / Aug 7-10

Moderator: JaysRule15

changes
Head Coach
And1: 9,124

Re: GT: Jays @ Guardians / Aug 7-10 

Post#781 » by changes » Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:32 pm

shout out to tripa for the entertaining troll jobs, it's livened this place up a bit
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,537

Post#782 » by dagger » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:07 am

If the Jays, talent wise, we’re as good as they were made out to be, or think they are, they would be comfortably in a playoff spot even with Schneider’s mistakes. You have the winning run in scoring position in the 9th and 10th innings, you must get the run in. You go up with that in mind, and not think of clearing the fence. You can only blame a manager for so much. Ultimately, good talent overwhelms incompetent managerial types in all sports. This year is clearly on the players. Everything else is venting.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,537

GT: Jays @ Guardians / Aug 7-10 

Post#783 » by dagger » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:17 am

Bo is day to day, Chapman is going for an MRI. If Chapman is headed for the IL, that will create an interesting situation for Atkins. Neither Espinal or Biggio can play decent third. Not enough arm strength. Addison Barger has a big arm, Orelvis Martinez is playing a lot if 3B. One of those two ought to be called up but is Atkins going to go with something suboptimal for salary and or future options? Me, if I had to make a move, I’d option Espinal to Buffalo, bring up both Barger and Martinez, then on Sept 1, add Horwitz. The more batters untainted by Guillermo Martinez the better. I’m also putting Hagen Danner on the 60 day IL and selecting the contract of Chad Green. Stop f’nkgn around.

I should add that all my moves will also be setting the table for next season. Chapman, Belt, Merrifield are all gone. Barger, Orelvis and Horwitz are in. As a long shot, I’d be open to Alan Roden making the team with a good spring. I’m bringing the New Hampshire batting coach in to replace Guillermo. The minor league teams are hitting a ton. It’s pitching where the system is really weak.

I like having a team filled with guys who cone up through the organization and have bonded vs Atkins preferred route of bringing in mercenaries via trade or free agency. Some of that is necessary but the Jays are over reliant on it.

2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,633

Post#784 » by Harry Palmer » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:26 am

If you would have told me before the season that Vlad would hit his 20th homer on the verge of September, I would have pretty confidently bet he missed 1/3 to 1/2 of the season to injury.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,633

Post#785 » by Harry Palmer » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:43 am

tripa wrote:
Mehar wrote:
tripa wrote:
Actively rooting for the team to lose defeats the purpose of this board. You arent even a fan of the team.

I was actively rooting for the Raptors to tank two years ago, and they started doing that and they ended up drafting Scottie Barnes in the Draft. So, I guess I was not a true fan then also? I respectfully disagree with you. You do you, and keep being positive and seeing the games with your Rose Coloured Glasses.

Tanking doesnt work in baseball. Not sure what your point is. Stop actively rooting for the other team, simple.

Tanking doesn’t work in the same manner, but baseball’s version is to trade a bunch of assets for a bigger bunch of high end prospects, even take on bad contracts to land blue chippers as your payroll should fall off a cliff anyways and shift a chunk of that payroll spending to signing underslots and into scouting and development.

In a couple years we’ll know if 2023 Vlad/Manoah were flukes or just more ‘started great, then faded from relevance’ stories. But obviously you can’t trade either right now with their value so low, but maybe you look at Gausman, Bo, etc. or you wait it out and hope Vlad/Manoah get it back. And then trade them to rebuild or not depending on how the rest of the team is doing.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,156

Post#786 » by Potential » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:01 am

We got them right where we want them. Keep that same energy. To all you fake fans out there upset and being negative, **** you all! I love this awesome team and will not let you fake fans ruin it
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,324

Post#787 » by Mehar » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:10 am

Raps in 4 wrote:I'm going to be livid if the Yankees sign Click and we keep Atkins. Maybe we'll get to see a WS between two former Jays executives then while we miss the playoffs again next year.

The rumour out of New York is that the Yankees will make a big push for James Click as GM. Yankees might get rid of Cashman, or just have him strictly as Senior VP and no longer day to day GM. I am not sure what Click's contract entails with Toronto as VP of baseball strategy. I would definitely push Atkins out, make Click GM, and get rid of Shapiro (or just have him focus strictly on Stadium Renovations as President if he is willing). If Click wants the Full Title as President and GM, I would give it to him, and get rid of Shapiro also.

Click spent 15 years in the Rays Front office, and during the time Tampa had 4 Straight Seasons of 90 more or wins on payrolls that were near the bottom of the league. Click then went to the Astros to become GM for three seasons, and had Three straight ALCS appearances, and Two World Series Appearances (winning the World Series last year). I have been critical of Rogers Ownership in the past, but you got to commend them for bringing in Click and also having a payroll of 213 million (also spending in the Luxury Tax this year). They should not let Click go to a division rival, and instead should fire Atkins and make Click GM or even President in Toronto.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,954

Post#788 » by JN » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:12 am

The only potential advantage of us throwing away games, is that if we somehow sneak in the playoffs its probably the #6 spot, which is must better than #5 (i.e play Minnesota in round 1)
JN
RealGM

Post#789 » by JN » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:16 am

Trying to look at the recent positives (instead of the obvious many negatives).

Perhaps our offence has found something that will carry for a few weeks with 15 runs the last 2 games against a fairly good staff. A few recent jacks by Guerrero, hopefully we are sticking with Schneider. Of course we may well get shut out tomorrow night against so
JN
RealGM

Post#790 » by JN » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:23 am

One thing I noted from being at the game today that was not clear from TV. Cleveland had some odd OF positioning for Danny Jansen.

In the 9th when Danny Jansen came up against the lefty, for some reason I decided to focus on the Cleveland positioning. First pitch CF'r is shifted a few feet to right field.... then the CF'er adjusts even more and is now shifted about 15 feet towards right field.

It seemed totally odd to me as we all known Jansen is very much a pull hitter. And sure enough Jansen pulls one to the gap and it falls. I'm convinced that if the CF'er was playing straight away (much less shaded to left) he probably catches the ball.

In the end as a fan it may have been better if Jansen had been out, because we would have been saved from the failed Biggio Bunt, and then worse yet the 3-0 "what the Hell" swing by Espinal.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,445

Post#791 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:01 am

dagger wrote:Bo is day to day, Chapman is going for an MRI. If Chapman is headed for the IL, that will create an interesting situation for Atkins. Neither Espinal or Biggio can play decent third. Not enough arm strength. Addison Barger has a big arm, Orelvis Martinez is playing a lot if 3B. One of those two ought to be called up but is Atkins going to go with something suboptimal for salary and or future options? Me, if I had to make a move, I’d option Espinal to Buffalo, bring up both Barger and Martinez, then on Sept 1, add Horwitz. The more batters untainted by Guillermo Martinez the better. I’m also putting Hagen Danner on the 60 day IL and selecting the contract of Chad Green. Stop f’nkgn around.

I should add that all my moves will also be setting the table for next season. Chapman, Belt, Merrifield are all gone. Barger, Orelvis and Horwitz are in. As a long shot, I’d be open to Alan Roden making the team with a good spring. I’m bringing the New Hampshire batting coach in to replace Guillermo. The minor league teams are hitting a ton. It’s pitching where the system is really weak.

I like having a team filled with guys who cone up through the organization and have bonded vs Atkins preferred route of bringing in mercenaries via trade or free agency. Some of that is necessary but the Jays are over reliant on it.

All that is gonna happen for the rest of the year is they are just gonna play Biggio more.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,859

Post#792 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:12 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
dagger wrote:Bo is day to day, Chapman is going for an MRI. If Chapman is headed for the IL, that will create an interesting situation for Atkins. Neither Espinal or Biggio can play decent third. Not enough arm strength. Addison Barger has a big arm, Orelvis Martinez is playing a lot if 3B. One of those two ought to be called up but is Atkins going to go with something suboptimal for salary and or future options? Me, if I had to make a move, I’d option Espinal to Buffalo, bring up both Barger and Martinez, then on Sept 1, add Horwitz. The more batters untainted by Guillermo Martinez the better. I’m also putting Hagen Danner on the 60 day IL and selecting the contract of Chad Green. Stop f’nkgn around.

All that is gonna happen for the rest of the year is they are just gonna play Biggio more.

This will also give them a convenient excuse as to why they missed the playoffs and why no changes need to be made in the off-season.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Post#793 » by Ado05 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:05 pm

Jays are legitimately mid lol.

One really good month all season.
tripa
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,352

Post#794 » by tripa » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:15 pm

Houston most likely loses to Boston tonight, so we will gain a game on them after handling the Nationals.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,445

Post#795 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:50 pm

tripa wrote:Houston most likely loses to Boston tonight, so we will gain a game on them after handling the Nationals.

Houston is miles better than this Jays team.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,925

Post#796 » by Hottie McShotty » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:07 pm

tripa wrote:Houston most likely loses to Boston tonight, so we will gain a game on them after handling the Nationals.

Are you a prophet?

Tripa is about to embarrass himself again with his predictions.
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,324

Post#797 » by Mehar » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:16 pm

If Houston loses, we will gain half a game and be 2 back. If Houston wins, we will be 3 back. Best bet is Texas continuing to slide, and you have 4 games against Texas coming up in two weeks at home. Nationals have been playing well of late, and without possibly both Bichette and Chapman a Sweep is no guarantee. People thought the Jays would sweep or win 2 out of 3 against a terrible Indians team, and that did not happen.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,156

Post#798 » by Potential » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:19 pm

Blue Jays 53-50 since May 1st
Nationals 51-53 since May 1st

2 poverty teams hopefully we can steal the series against them and win atleast 2
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,449

Post#799 » by ItsDanger » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:21 pm

https://www.baseball-reference.com/tools/split_stats_lg.cgi?full=1&params=bases%7CRISP%7CML%7C2023%7Cbat%7CAB%7C

Most of the playoff teams have high OPS with runners in scoring position. Jays are 25th. Improve that somehow, and many problems go away.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
mintsa
Head Coach
And1: 3,745

Post#800 » by mintsa » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:42 pm

So is Bo out for tonight’s game (Monday). Not a baseball guy, but does the team announce the injury like the raptors do by a certain time of the day ?

You get what I’m saying….??

Example: 12:30 pm. Siakam was fully participating in practice today, he’s a go for tonight.

Do the blue jays do that ??

Return to Toronto Blue Jays