ImageImageImageImageImage

Breaking: Varsho in, Moreno, Gurriel out

Moderator: JaysRule15

Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,989

Re: Breaking: Varsho in, Moreno, Gurriel out 

Post#81 » by Los_29 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:23 pm

Raptors Realtor wrote:Absolutely terrible... You're trading your top prospect who's top 5 overall for Varsho who has a 235 AVG with a sub 800 OPS, along with Gurriel... Shatkins will regret if true.

Varsho had a WAR of 4.9 last year. 41st in baseball.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,781

Post#82 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:24 pm

Los_29 wrote:I remember how upset people were when we traded Austin Martin. Martin has struggled ever since. Moreno is an excellent prospect but at this point that's all he is.

Woods-Richardson is doing well. And we also have ptsd from the Syndergaard trade.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,196

Post#83 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:24 pm

Raptors Realtor wrote:Absolutely terrible... You're trading your top prospect who's top 5 overall for Varsho who has a 235 AVG with a sub 800 OPS, not to mention throwing in Gurriel also... Shatkins will regret this.

lets revisit this in 5 months
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,692

Post#84 » by hyper316 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:26 pm

Are there anymore Spanish speaking players on the team left other than Vladdy?
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#85 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:28 pm

Raptors Realtor wrote:Absolutely terrible... You're trading your top prospect who's top 5 overall for Varsho who has a 235 AVG with a sub 800 OPS, not to mention throwing in Gurriel also... Shatkins will regret this.

Seems a lot like Matt Chapman except there are a lot more good hitting 3rd basemen than CF’s.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#86 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:30 pm

hyper316 wrote:Are there anymore Spanish speaking players on the team left other than Vladdy?

Espinal’s Dominican I think. Yimi Garcia. Jose Berrios is Puerto Rican.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,823

Post#87 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:31 pm

Varsho is good, but this feels like an overpay. Surely we could have gotten more for Moreno.

I wasn't opposed to trading Moreno. I've posted as much on here. I was fine moving any one of Jano, Kirk, or Gabby for the BPA. But I don't think Varsho was the best deal available.
Raptors Realtor
Analyst
And1: 2,864

Post#88 » by Raptors Realtor » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:32 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

Not sure 5 months is enough time to gage the value of a top prospect, but Gurriel puts up very comparable numbers to Varsho on his own with a higher AVG
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#89 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:32 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:Varsho is good, but what an overpay. Surely we could have gotten more for Moreno.

I wasn't opposed to trading Moreno. I've posted as much on here. I was fine moving any one of Jano, Kirk, or Gabby for the BPA. But I don't think Varsho qualifies as the BPA.

Who does?
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#90 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:33 pm

Raptors Realtor wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

Not sure 5 months is enough time to gage the value of a top prospect, but Gurriel puts up very comparable numbers to Varsho on his own with a higher AVG

Gurriel is a bad outfield defender who runs like a duck. Varsho is the opposite of that.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Post#91 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:33 pm

Raptors Realtor wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

well we have 4 years of control on Varsh so we probably see how this plays out.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,692

Post#92 » by hyper316 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:35 pm

All these moves point to saving money to re-sign Vladdy and maybe Bichette. I'm good trading Bichette, can't have the weakest link in the most important defensive position
Raptors Realtor
Analyst

Post#93 » by Raptors Realtor » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:36 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
Raptors Realtor wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

Gurriel is a bad outfield defender who runs like a duck. Varsho is the opposite of that.

I don't disagree that Varsho is a better defender then Gurriel, but the difference in defense shouldn't have been a top 5 overall prospect.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#94 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:38 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:Varsho is good, but what an overpay. Surely we could have gotten more for Moreno.

I wasn't opposed to trading Moreno. I've posted as much on here. I was fine moving any one of Jano, Kirk, or Gabby for the BPA. But I don't think Varsho qualifies as the BPA.

Who does?

I mean, clearly Shatkins do as they made the trade.

Again, Varsho is a good player, but he's just barely above league average in terms of offensive production. He gives you elite defence, but I feel a top prospect could get you more than that.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#95 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:38 pm

Raptors Realtor wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
Raptors Realtor wrote:

I don't disagree that Varsho is a better defender then Gurriel, but the difference in defense shouldn't have been a top 5 overall prospect.

The difference is the defense and that Varsho is 26 with 4 more years of team control and Gurriel is on the last year of his deal and missed 1/4 of the season last year.
Raptors Realtor
Analyst

Post#96 » by Raptors Realtor » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:38 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Raptors Realtor wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

well we have 4 years of control on Varsh so we probably see how this plays out.

Fair, but not confident that Varsho increases his BA 40 points or so.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#97 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:39 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

Who does?

I mean clearly Shatkins do as they made the trade.

No, who qualifies as the BPA? Who is available?
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#98 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:41 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
Who does?

I mean clearly Shatkins do as they made the trade.

No, who qualifies as the BPA? Who is available?

I'm not a GM, but when you have a top-5 prospect who plays the most premium position in the game, you have options.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Post#99 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:41 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
Raptors Realtor wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

pretty much this. and Gurriel had a power shortage last year. and Varsho stole 16 bags last year lol. more than anyone else but thats just a fan fact than something else.

Varsho is also the quickest catcher I believe - read that is in the 89th percentile of sprint speed.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#100 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:42 pm

Los_29 wrote:
Raptors Realtor wrote:Absolutely terrible... You're trading your top prospect who's top 5 overall for Varsho who has a 235 AVG with a sub 800 OPS, along with Gurriel... Shatkins will regret if true.

Varsho had a WAR of 4.9 last year. 41st in baseball.

The question is how sustainable is that? Last season was the first time he had > league average offensive production (and just barely). He's a good player, the same way Matt Chapman is a good player, but is he good enough to justify giving up a top prospect for?

Return to Toronto Blue Jays