ImageImageImageImageImage

Solve the Jays catching dilemma: Who gets traded (eventually)?

Moderator: JaysRule15

LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,187

Re: Solve the Jays catching dilemma: Who gets traded (eventually)? 

Post#41 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:04 am

DelAbbot wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:if you want to get a top notch pitcher, probably Moreno.

Did you consider Jose Berrios top notch pitcher before this season? Moreno is a sure thing with his defense and contact hitting abilities alone - not trading that for a much more volatile commodity i.e. pitcher.

I thoought maybe a top 3 with Ace stuff. but consistency and maturity is still expected from him. would not be surprised if he had a bounce back year.

Moreno is not a sure thing yet and thats the problem. Someone else can overpay for his potential. I like Moreno and would trade Kirk away if that was a possibility - if the return was similar. a veteran team would probably prefer Kirk over Moreno, and an up and comig team would probably prefer Moreno. Kirk would probably land us prospects where as Moreno probably a potential ace.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,585

Post#42 » by bluerap23 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:53 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:

Did you consider Jose Berrios top notch pitcher before this season? Moreno is a sure thing with his defense and contact hitting abilities alone - not trading that for a much more volatile commodity i.e. pitcher.

I thoought maybe a top 3 with Ace stuff. but consistency and maturity is still expected from him. would not be surprised if he had a bounce back year.

Moreno is not a sure thing yet and thats the problem. Someone else can overpay for his potential. I like Moreno and would trade Kirk away if that was a possibility - if the return was similar. a veteran team would probably prefer Kirk over Moreno, and an up and comig team would probably prefer Moreno. Kirk would probably land us prospects where as Moreno probably a potential ace.

Probably targeting a more cost controlled option to replace Stripling. If they can get a #3 with 2 years left before FA that will save them a ton.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,803

Post#43 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:01 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:

Kirk is only a year older than Moreno. He's turning 24 in a month. Moreno turns 23 in 3 months.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,187

Post#44 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:01 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:

Kirk is only a year older than Moreno. He's turning 24 in a month. Moreno turns 23 in 3 months.

one has MLB experience one doesn't.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,135

Post#45 » by DelAbbot » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:00 am

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

one has MLB experience one doesn't.

Moreno's catching abilities and throwing to 2B are going to be elite. Then you add his speed and contact hitting - just cannot trade Moreno. We got to keep both Kirk and Moreno - so Jano gotta go.
wamco
Junior
And1: 46

Post#46 » by wamco » Sat Nov 5, 2022 4:47 pm

I ran some mlb trade value trades if jays were to decide to look to the future and use Jansen as a chip to get
Some blue chip prospects at P or OF.

Well here is what BBTV comes in at for fair value for teams rumored to be interested in catching.

Walker (stl) and Moreno both come in at 61.

Jansen 27 for graceffo 19 (sp 55 future value) and Baez (OF they hope can stick in CF but a ways away future value 45)

Kirk 39 for graceffo 19 and Burleson 16.5 (OF 55 future value). Both should be in mlb this year

Here are the page links-

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/cardin...-walker-691023

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/cardin...raceffo-700669

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/cardin...ua-baez-695491

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/cardin...urleson-676475

I don’t see a match with Houston unless a swap of hunter brown (28) for Jansen (27) could happen

Brewers line up for Jansen (27) for frelick (cf 55 future value (23) and a sp ( gasser/small ) (3)

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/brewer...frelick-686217

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/brewer...-gasser-688107

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/brewer...n-small-663629

Cubs have their top 3 prospects per mlb.com as OF with values approaching Jansen (27). (26.5, 25, 19) all with 55 FV. For fun throw Simeon woods Richardson back in (5).
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,105

Post#47 » by Schad » Sat Nov 5, 2022 5:44 pm

As much as I like Jansen, I do think that those trade value sites vastly overrate him, because while his projected numbers are very good, the low number of games he has played over the course of his career, and his inconsistency, will decrease his trade value. I'd be beyond shocked if two years of Jansen was worth, as an example, a top 50 prospect like Jasson Dominguez.

Still, he is unquestionably the obvious choice to move. Moreno/Kirk swapping between C/DH makes sense, and Jansen is too good (and too expensive, likely) to keep in a part-time role, and he should fetch a good return.
**** your asterisk.
wamco
Junior

Post#48 » by wamco » Sat Nov 5, 2022 6:18 pm

Ross move would be extending jansen and trading One of kirk/Moreno.
He’s come around to trading top prospects but will always be risk adverse to the core so In that scenario, I see him selling high on Moreno.
His value on that site is 61, Danny (27), kirk (39). So if anywhere close to reality, I could see Ross salivating at that value.
Ideal world, extend Jansen, trade Moreno for carroll, trade teo for a back end bp piece with control, sign rodon and Brantley.
That fits the rumor of having about 20m to add to payroll.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,105

Post#49 » by Schad » Sat Nov 5, 2022 9:39 pm

wamco wrote:Ross move would be extending jansen and trading One of kirk/Moreno.
He’s come around to trading top prospects but will always be risk adverse to the core so In that scenario, I see him selling high on Moreno.
His value on that site is 61, Danny (27), kirk (39). So if anywhere close to reality, I could see Ross salivating at that value.
Ideal world, extend Jansen, trade Moreno for carroll, trade teo for a back end bp piece with control, sign rodon and Brantley.

I don't think those values are particularly close to reality.

Also, if they were, the cost of extending Jansen would necessarily be extremely expensive: if you're assuming that he's worth X runs per season, it should be assumed that his extension will be for a player that adds X runs per season. Which is a sum far greater than we're likely to pay for a backup catcher.
**** your asterisk.
wamco
Junior

Post#50 » by wamco » Sat Nov 5, 2022 10:04 pm

Ya who knows, far from perfect but a starting place.
5/50 to 2016-2021 for Jansen. Is that closer to what he asks for or what jays offer ?
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,517
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#51 » by SharoneWright » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:11 pm

Off topic,,, BUT

Jays really need to extend Vlad NOW. You can't be the Leafs and sign Nylander (or Tavares for that matter) first before either Matthews or Marner.

Once we have Vlad and know his financial commitment/constraints... it make it much easier to decide who to trade (catchers or short stops ;)), how much money is in the kitty, where do we allocate our resources, what's the exact timeline, etc..... The plan crystallizes.

I know Vlad didn't perform up to standard last year (maybe a small blessing in negotiating the extension), but this should have been handled long ago. Even if you end up with a slight overpay, it clarifies what else you might want to do.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
linery88
Sixth Man
And1: 571

Post#52 » by linery88 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:27 pm

MLB Hotstove today likes all of our catchers,and speculation is we may get rid of Moreno,and get a good lefthanded bat or pitcher of note...sooner rather than later with Strip leaving.he key word being.....may.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,297

Post#53 » by ItsDanger » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:27 pm

Trade Moreno, his game experience behind the plate isn't MLB level. Has highest trade value. Jansen not going to get you much on the market. He'll likely be an excellent catcher but timeline doesn't quite match up. You need to strike now.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Balki-B
Sophomore
And1: 34

Post#54 » by Balki-B » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:07 pm

It doesn’t look like Jansen will be traded for fair value unless there is an injury to a contending team. As a consolation, I’m of the belief that Jansen gets moved for minor league prospect(s) to lessen current salary demands on the major league roster. Rogers has thus far shown a desire to spend during this iteration’s cycle, but I imagine being a salary tax team is only acceptable if the club is ready to announce they are an absolute top contender rather than the tier below.
anj
Bench Warmer
And1: 911

Post#55 » by anj » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:36 pm

Have we traded established talent for prospects under Atkins? Don't see it happening now. Either way, I vote we keep Moreno. Obviously, he holds the most value, but it's for a reason.
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach
And1: 7,246

Post#56 » by Madvillainy2004 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:49 pm

I think it'd he a massive waste if we don't use one of the catchers to establish a postion of need next year.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,517
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#57 » by SharoneWright » Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:24 am

Moreno. Definitely Moreno. For Daulton Varsho.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,752

Post#58 » by Kurtz » Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:22 am

wamco wrote:Ross move would be extending jansen and trading One of kirk/Moreno.

Pretty good predictions.
wamco
Junior

Post#59 » by wamco » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:39 pm

Wow, look at me! Throw enough crap against the wall and occasionally some sticks!
I changed my mind everyday as best course of action. Can only imagine Atkins sleepless nights. I was under impression 20m to spend when it appears 30m was there (more after clearing teo 14m)

Carroll wasn’t happening (varsho instead) but rodon and brantley instead of Bassit and kiermier would have interesting path

Return to Toronto Blue Jays