ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Jays @ Reds, Aug 18-20

Moderator: JaysRule15

Which predictions will be the closest to being right?

Game 1
No votes
Game 2
No votes
Game 3
100%

Total votes: 2

JN
RealGM
And1: 9,948

Re: GT: Jays @ Reds, Aug 18-20 

Post#341 » by JN » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:06 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Raider917 wrote:houston might come back today

The question we should be asking ourselves at this point is whether that a good thing. We have the tiebreaker against Houston and Seattle is on fire with a very easy schedule.

(EDIT - Added Houston numbers for comps_

I do agree that at this point who knows if we want it to be Houston or Seattle. But I don't really think Seattle has that much of an easier schedule than us.

I just googled "MLB SOS Remaining" and came across this site.
https://www.tankathon.com/mlb/remaining_schedule_strength

The winning % of our remaining opponents is .488 -- 23rd in MLB
The winning % of Seattle's remaining opponents is .482 -- 24th in MLB.
Houston is 28th in MLB at .475

Here are a few other ones that actually have the Mariners as a bit more difficult schedule.

http://powerrankingsguru.com/mlb/strength-of-schedule.php
(Have the Mariners at #13 and Toronto at #16) Houston at 17.

Mariners at #14 hardest, Toronto at #23 and Houston at 28.
https://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/ranking/future-sos-by-other

Perhaps these sites are pure BS, but simply looking at it qualitatively both teams have similar schedules in my view.

Like Toronto, Seattle has a really tough close to its season -- 13 of its final 16 games of the season are really good teams. Texas 7 times, Houston 3 times. LAD 3 times.

And like Seattle, Toronto has a really easy 15 game stretch to close August and open September... in fact we play 9 games in a row against the 3 worst teams in baseball (Colorado, Oakland, KC). That really helps our schedule that we are able to play all those teams in September.

Our closing schedule is tough, but its getting a bit easier as the 6 games against the Yankees seem to be coming at a good time. The Yanks seem to be imploding like the Red Sox of a few years back. Of course there is the AL East Bugaboo factor with this team.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,412

Post#342 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:11 pm

JN wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Raider917 wrote:houston might come back today

The question we should be asking ourselves at this point is whether that a good thing. We have the tiebreaker against Houston and Seattle is on fire with a very easy schedule.

I do agree that at this point who knows if we want it to be Houston or Seattle. But I don't really think Seattle has that much of an easier schedule than us.

I just googled "MLB SOS Remaining" and came across this site.
https://www.tankathon.com/mlb/remaining_schedule_strength

The winning % of our remaining opponents is .488 -- 23rd in MLB
The winning % of Seattle's remaining opponents is .482 -- 24th in MLB.

Here are a few other ones that actually have the Mariners as a bit more difficult schedule.

http://powerrankingsguru.com/mlb/strength-of-schedule.php
(Have the Mariners at #13 and Toronto at #16)

Mariners at #14 and Toronto at #23.
https://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/ranking/future-sos-by-other

Perhaps these sites are pure BS, but simply looking at it qualitatively both teams have similar schedules in my view.

Like Toronto, Seattle has a really tough close to its season -- 13 of its final 16 games of the season are really good teams. Texas 7 times, Houston 3 times. LAD 3 times.

And like Seattle, Toronto has a really easy 15 game stretch to close August and open September... in fact we play 9 games in a row against the 3 worst teams in baseball (Colorado, Oakland, KC). That really helps our schedule that we are able to play all those teams in September.

Our closing schedule is tough, but its getting a bit easier as the 6 games against the Yankees seem to be coming at a good time. The Yanks seem to be imploding like the Red Sox of a few years back. Of course there is the AL East Bugaboo factor with this team.

Yankees are gonna be shutting some of their veterans down I expect by the time we play them, so that's something. They're in the process of getting swept by Boston right now (and have not won in over a week?), though, so it's not like those guys are helping them win.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
JN
RealGM

Post#343 » by JN » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:12 pm

You can be frustrated with the team plays and that is understandable. but going 3-2 against Philly and Cincy was a solid week.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#344 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:14 pm

Bo struggling defensively in these two games. That should have at least been one out.
Raider917
Veteran
And1: 768

Post#345 » by Raider917 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:18 pm

Ryu is a free agent this winter isnt he?
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#346 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:20 pm

Think of how many games this season were wasted watching Manoah throw garbage up.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#347 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:20 pm

Raider917 wrote:Ryu is a free agent this winter isnt he?

Jays won't be signing him, that's for sure.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#348 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:21 pm

JN wrote:You can be frustrated with the team plays and that is understandable. but going 3-2 against Philly and Cincy was a solid week.

In a vacuum, sure. But they (arguably) lost one game because Espinal turfed a throw on a simple groundball to 3rd and lost another game because they got shutout by a minor league journeyman. As has been the case all season, this team can and likely should have done better.
COY0607
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,815

Post#349 » by COY0607 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:24 pm

JN wrote:You can be frustrated with the team plays and that is understandable. but going 3-2 against Philly and Cincy was a solid week.

The way they lose (0-1 with 0/6 in RISP) is brutal and makes the team frustrating to follow. Doesn’t help that Mariners are red hot.

But yeah, not a bad week overall - especially considering Bo, Jansen, KK returned as well
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#350 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:27 pm

Chapman up with RISP...not what you want.
JN
RealGM

Post#351 » by JN » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:27 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:Think of how many games this season were wasted watching Manoah throw garbage up.

Talking about Manoah, and since this game is hopefully on lockdown.

What are the takes on people here on the story that broke yesterday that Manoah hasn't even whiffed Buffalo yet and there is no intention to have him start any games down there -- basically just have him keep working on things in Toronto.

Seems like the intention at this point is to just sit him down for the rest of the year.... well I hope so anyway. Before the end of the year there will likely be at least one circumstance where one of our 5 starters can't go.. I certainly hope we don't give the ball to Manoah after he has not made a meaningful pitch in a long time.
COY0607
Assistant Coach

Post#352 » by COY0607 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:27 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:

Yeah, with Manoah and Tiedemann don’t need to sign a fifth starter.

Pitching priority should be to add a veteran 6th starter type for depth, and obviously retool/rebuild offense
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,286

Post#353 » by Mehar » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:27 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:

Manoah looks like he could be Ricky Romero 2.0. I would be tempted to offer Ryu a 1 year deal plus option. Not sure what other teams around the league would offer him though.
COY0607
Assistant Coach

Post#354 » by COY0607 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:31 pm

JN wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Think of how many games this season were wasted watching Manoah throw garbage up.

What are the takes on people here on the story that broke yesterday that Manoah hasn't even whiffed Buffalo yet and there is no intention to have him start any games down there -- basically just have him keep working on things in Toronto.

Seems like the intention at this point is to just sit him down for the rest of the year.... well I hope so anyway. Before the end of the year there will likely be at least one circumstance where one of our 5 starters can't go.. I certainly hope we don't give the ball to Manoah in that situation.

He hasn’t pitched in 10 days, I don’t know what the line is, but I think we’re getting close to the point that he just won’t be able to pitch as a starter this season. Quiet surprising considering the lack of SP depth
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#355 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:34 pm

JN wrote:

Seems like the intention at this point is to just sit him down for the rest of the year.... well I hope so anyway. Before the end of the year there will likely be at least one circumstance where one of our 5 starters can't go.. I certainly hope we don't give the ball to Manoah after he has not made a meaningful pitch in a long time.

I don't think they intend to shut him down for the rest of the year because he's very clearly their 6th SP option in the event of an injury, but it does seems like they're just coddling him to me. I imagine they told him upon optioning him that he'd be back on September 1.
JN
RealGM

Post#356 » by JN » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:34 pm

Mehar wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

Manoah looks like he could be Ricky Romero 2.0. I would be tempted to offer Ryu a 1 year deal plus option. Not sure what other teams around the league would offer him though.

How big a contract could he really get on the open market.

Would anybody even guarantee him $5 million of total salary?
Would it be awful if we offered a portion of that?

I think I would prefer to spend our $resources if we are on a budget on a bat instead of a depth pitcher. But we have seen how the Jays have walked the fine line of having good depth in its staff (like they do now) and not having it at times this year (Mitch Hatch)
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,788
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#357 » by Boogie! » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:35 pm

Cabreraa k strut is basically the soto shuffle.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#358 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:36 pm

JN wrote:
Mehar wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Jays won't be signing him, that's for sure.

I think I would prefer to spend our $resources if we are on a budget on a bat instead of a depth pitcher. But we have seen how the Jays have walked the fine line of having good depth in its staff (like they do now) and not having it at times this year (Mitch Hatch)

Someone with a much greater pitching need than us will be willing to offer him more. Any available money we have is definitely going to go to 2B/3B/OF.
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach
And1: 7,246

Post#359 » by Madvillainy2004 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:39 pm

Yeah I doubt he's brought back but credit to Ryu had that weird injury upon coming back but has looked great post Tommy John which probably means he was pitching hurt for most of 2021-22.
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,286

Post#360 » by Mehar » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:40 pm

JN wrote:
Mehar wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Jays won't be signing him, that's for sure.

You cannot predict on how Manoah will be like next year. How many games did the Jays throw away with Manoah on the mound? He was awful all year. On a 1 year deal, I can see a team offer him around 10-12 million with incentives, and guarantee Ryu like 7-8 million for next year. I would be inclined to bring Ryu back on a 1 year deal, and give him a club option under those terms. If another team offers something better, than so be it.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays