ImageImageImageImageImage

Royals (17-12) @ Blue Jays (14-15) April 29-May 1 - now with less Rain Outs!

Moderator: JaysRule15

Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,564

Re: Royals (17-12) @ Blue Jays (14-15) April 29-May 1 - now with less Rain Outs! 

Post#61 » by Brinbe » Wed May 1, 2024 1:26 am

this lineup is fn awful
GameChannel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Re: Royals (17-12) @ Blue Jays (14-15) April 29-May 1 - now with less Rain Outs! 

Post#62 » by GameChannel » Wed May 1, 2024 1:26 am

Watching this Jays team can make ones eyes bleed. Lol
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,410

Post#63 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed May 1, 2024 1:28 am

We are truly a disgrace
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,908

Post#64 » by Michael Bradley » Wed May 1, 2024 1:32 am

Swanson's 2024 so far is an example of why you don't trade a player coming off a 130 wRC+ and 3 WAR for a relief pitcher. Relievers are just too volatile.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#65 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed May 1, 2024 1:35 am

Michael Bradley wrote:Swanson's 2024 so far is an example of why you don't trade a player coming off a 130 wRC+ and 3 WAR for a relief pitcher. Relievers are just too volatile.

It was always a pretty silly trade. I'm sure they justified it by the number of years of control on Swanson, but there are never any guarantees with guys like him (or basically any RP for that matter).
linery88
Sixth Man
And1: 571

Post#66 » by linery88 » Wed May 1, 2024 1:44 am

I wish the Leafs would stop watching Jay games.
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,908

Post#67 » by Michael Bradley » Wed May 1, 2024 1:45 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Michael Bradley wrote:Swanson's 2024 so far is an example of why you don't trade a player coming off a 130 wRC+ and 3 WAR for a relief pitcher. Relievers are just too volatile.

It was always a pretty silly trade. I'm sure they justified it by the number of years of control on Swanson, but there are never any guarantees with guys like him (or basically any RP for that matter).

Agreed. Good teams take relievers like Swanson from the scrap heap and turn them around. They certainly don't trade one of their best hitters for it.
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,281

Post#68 » by Mehar » Wed May 1, 2024 1:59 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:

No need to backtrack now, since I remember you liking the Swanson deal then. Now you call it pretty silly. How about sticking to your original position and not changing with the wind, which seems to be a tendency of yours?
GameChannel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#69 » by GameChannel » Wed May 1, 2024 3:05 am

Are redface, horseface and homeschooled nerd fired yet?
Mehar
Analyst

Post#70 » by Mehar » Wed May 1, 2024 3:45 am

I am not sure when this organization is going to wake up and realize that Cavan Biggio is not an everyday player. He is now 2 for his last 25, while being in the lineup the last 10 straight games. Year 6 of this scrub in this organization, when he should have been sent packing along with Espinal.

If this organization had any clue- it would play Clement at 3rd, IKF at Second, Varsho in CF, and Schneider in LF, with Biggio on the bench on a regular basis. If his name was Cavan Smith, he would have been sent packing years ago. Rather give Martinez a chance to be in the big leagues, because we all seen what scrub Biggio brings to the table for years now. Nobody in MLB constantly looks at "Strike 3" and walks back to the bench like a fool like this guy.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,513
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#71 » by SharoneWright » Wed May 1, 2024 4:44 am

Freaking joke.

Literally the best rotation I’ve seen in Toronto in 25 years.

We saddle them with declining Vlad and a declining Bo and IKF and Alejandro Kirk. Vogelbach is ready to pinch hit!

Everybody knew our offence was deficient. Doesn’t take half a brain or a $3 million paycheque to notice.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#72 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed May 1, 2024 5:07 am

Mehar wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

No need to backtrack now, since I remember you liking the Swanson deal then. Now you call it pretty silly. How about sticking to your original position and not changing with the wind, which seems to be a tendency of yours?

Randle McMurphy wrote:Sadly, this deal tells me that the Jays were running into salary constraints in 2023/beyond and had to begin to rectify them in some way. Reminds me of the JP days again.

Now they were never going to re-sign Teoscar past next year (nor should they, he's a strikeout prone, bad defensive outfielder past his age prime), but this $14M or so in savings better go towards improving the team this year now.

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's not a lie if they know the truth.

viewtopic.php?f=123&t=2240932&start=20

As usual, you may want to check your facts there. These are my only two posts in the actual trade thread. Commenting sadly about salary constraints, comparing the deal to those in the Ricciardi era (where JP would routinely get rid of productive players to go cheaper/gain control), explicitly comparing an Atkins quote to a famous Riccardi quote, not even mentioning the trade target Swanson, and pleading that Teoscar's cut salary gets put back into the team counts as liking the deal now?

I was very clearly suggesting they got rid of the better player in the deal to save a bit of money. Of course, in retrospect (given that they have actually increased payroll in 2024), it appears it had less to do with saving money and more to do with them actually liking Swanson/his years of control more than Teoscar (and defense).
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,607

Post#73 » by Asianiac_24 » Wed May 1, 2024 6:17 am

Mehar wrote:I am not sure when this organization is going to wake up and realize that Cavan Biggio is not an everyday player. He is now 2 for his last 25, while being in the lineup the last 10 straight games. Year 6 of this scrub in this organization, when he should have been sent packing along with Espinal.

If this organization had any clue- it would play Clement at 3rd, IKF at Second, Varsho in CF, and Schneider in LF, with Biggio on the bench on a regular basis. If his name was Cavan Smith, he would have been sent packing years ago. Rather give Martinez a chance to be in the big leagues, because we all seen what scrub Biggio brings to the table for years now. Nobody in MLB constantly looks at "Strike 3" and walks back to the bench like a fool like this guy.

Agreed. Cavan Biggio should only be used to get regular rotational players rest. He is not an everyday player and he’s consistently shown that.
Mehar
Analyst

Post#74 » by Mehar » Wed May 1, 2024 8:14 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Mehar wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:It was always a pretty silly trade. I'm sure they justified it by the number of years of control on Swanson, but there are never any guarantees with guys like him (or basically any RP for that matter).

Randle McMurphy wrote:Sadly, this deal tells me that the Jays were running into salary constraints in 2023/beyond and had to begin to rectify them in some way. Reminds me of the JP days again.

Now they were never going to re-sign Teoscar past next year (nor should they, he's a strikeout prone, bad defensive outfielder past his age prime), but this $14M or so in savings better go towards improving the team this year now.

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's not a lie if they know the truth.

viewtopic.php?f=123&t=2240932&start=20

As usual, you may want to check your facts there. These are my only two posts in the actual trade thread. Commenting sadly about salary constraints, comparing the deal to those in the Ricciardi era (where JP would routinely get rid of productive players to go cheaper/gain control), explicitly comparing an Atkins quote to a famous Riccardi quote, not even mentioning the trade target Swanson, and pleading that Teoscar's cut salary gets put back into the team counts as liking the deal now?

I was very clearly suggesting they got rid of the better player in the deal to save a bit of money. Of course, in retrospect (given that they have actually increased payroll in 2024), it appears it had less to do with saving money and more to do with them actually liking Swanson/his years of control more than Teoscar (and defense).

You were not clearly suggesting they got rid of the better player, when in your own words you called Teoscar a "Strikeout prone, bad defensive outfielder past his age prime" who they were not going to re-sign or nor they should. That is what I remembered you say, and thanks for confirming that my facts were fine as usual.

It might not be in the trade thread, but last year you mentioned it was a good move to get rid of Teoscar for a guy like Swanson, who had control in years and was going to be a high leverage guy for this team alongside Romano. However, the part I did not remember is you talking about salary constraints like the JP days (since Rogers increased payroll in each of last two years). So, maybe you were trying to rationalize the trade in terms of cost savings for ownership at that time. If that was the case, you are not wrong since the team saved 14 million, which was a huge chunk of cash.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#75 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed May 1, 2024 12:21 pm

Mehar wrote:You were not clearly suggesting they got rid of the better player, when in your own words you called Teoscar a "Strikeout prone, bad defensive outfielder past his age prime" who they were not going to re-sign or nor they should. That is what I remembered you say, and thanks for confirming that my facts were fine as usual.

I don’t know how many more ways I could have called that trade a salary dump and didn’t even mention Swanson. It’s pretty clear I didn’t like the move at all in a vacuum and was trying to explain it as a costs saving maneuver more than anything else.

It might not be in the trade thread, but last year you mentioned it was a good move to get rid of Teoscar for a guy like Swanson, who had control in years and was going to be a high leverage guy for this team alongside Romano. However, the part I did not remember is you talking about salary constraints like the JP days (since Rogers increased payroll in each of last two years). So, maybe you were trying to rationalize the trade in terms of cost savings for ownership at that time. If that was the case, you are not wrong since the team saved 14 million, which was a huge chunk of cash.

Funny, because I distinctly remember saying how much I disliked the trade on multiple occasions and was asking the Jays to bring him back as a free agent about halfway through the year to infuse some power back on the roster.

The Jays also apparently did try to do that this offseason (after trying to trade for him at the deadline) so perhaps they too had misgivings about getting rid of him.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,310

Post#76 » by Parataxis » Wed May 1, 2024 3:13 pm

And, once again, Barger out of position at LF.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,584

Post#77 » by bluerap23 » Wed May 1, 2024 4:22 pm

At this point I think I’m ready for a rebuild/retoolif it means bringing in new management. Sell high on the good assets.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,564

Post#78 » by Brinbe » Wed May 1, 2024 4:29 pm

shatkins being dumb/slow/unable to sell high on the last old core before they all hit the skids (and getting nothing worthwhile in return) is exactly what soured me on them in the first place. they got the renos done, the team is averaging a good amount in attendance/viewership, that's all that rogers cares about.
Mehar
Analyst

Post#79 » by Mehar » Wed May 1, 2024 6:18 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Mehar wrote:You were not clearly suggesting they got rid of the better player, when in your own words you called Teoscar a "Strikeout prone, bad defensive outfielder past his age prime" who they were not going to re-sign or nor they should. That is what I remembered you say, and thanks for confirming that my facts were fine as usual.

I don’t know how many more ways I could have called that trade a salary dump and didn’t even mention Swanson. It’s pretty clear I didn’t like the move at all in a vacuum and was trying to explain it as a costs saving maneuver more than anything else.

Funny, because I distinctly remember saying how much I disliked the trade on multiple occasions and was asking the Jays to bring him back as a free agent about halfway through the year to infuse some power back on the roster.

The Jays also apparently did try to do that this offseason (after trying to trade for him at the deadline) so perhaps they too had misgivings about getting rid of him.

Look at my posts from last summer, and in the beginning of the off-season and I was the main proponent of bringing back Teoscar as a DH, and occasional RF. You did say that you were fine with the idea, so I cannot take that from you.
Mehar
Analyst

Post#80 » by Mehar » Wed May 1, 2024 6:22 pm

Parataxis wrote:And, once again, Barger out of position at LF.

Absolutely laughable. Not sure why Turner also needed another day off so soon after his last one.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays