Defense and pitching

Moderator: Rafael122

pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Defense and pitching 

Post#1 » by pineappleheadindc » Sat May 14, 2011 5:12 pm

Okay, so the Nats are hovering near .500.

One thing I must say I enjoy this year is the improved defense, starting pitching, and aggressiveness on the bases. When the Nats get Harper and Strasburg on the roster and playing at 100%, they'll be really fun to watch.

Fundamental baseball is a good thing. (Showing my age here).
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Re: Defense and pitching 

Post#2 » by Halcyon » Sun May 15, 2011 6:26 am

Looks like this team is heading in the right direction. I'm not a huge baseball follower but defense was definitely an issue with last years team and they sought out some pieces to resolve it, at the expense of some offense (exchanging Dunn for LaRoche, and other changes)

Also the bullpen is playing really well it seems. Storen was struggling in the Spring but he's been on fire during the season. His ERA is 0.40 and his WHIP is 0.706. I doubt that continues but it's very encouraging to see that our prospects are performing so well.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Post#3 » by Rafael122 » Sun May 15, 2011 2:02 pm

Yeah, the Nats are fun to watch this year. We're not getting blown out by 4 or 5 runs, pitching is keeping us in the game, unfortunately the bats have yet to wake up.

And there's still like 4 or 5 guys down on the farm who they're waiting to get called up. Future is looking bright. I still pause at that Jayson Werth deal but it's done.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#4 » by craig01 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:55 pm

If the Nats could only hit.......

But they are not alone.....there are more teams batting below .250 than I can remember in a long time.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Post#5 » by Rafael122 » Sun May 15, 2011 9:01 pm

Yeah, it seems to be Year of the Pitcher 2. All the guys you expect to hit aren't hitting. Maybe with the weather getting warmer, things will turn around a bit. It's certainly hurting my fantasy teams. :)
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by pineappleheadindc » Mon May 16, 2011 4:40 am

It's okay to start a LITTLE slow. But I can't remember when I've seen so many so close (or even below) the Mendoza line.

Good win today, though.

--Confucius

- Yoda
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#7 » by Scabs304 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:25 am

I love pitching but the lack of hitting for both the Nat's and O's at points is disturbing especially how well there pitching has held up at points which has been surprising.
I am Scabs.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#8 » by Jollay » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:58 pm

Right now as of 6/16, the Nats have gone 13 straight games without an error, the longest streak since the Yankees went 18 straight games in 2009. After a horrid start fielding, they actually are tied for the least amount of errors in the NL.

Their starting pitching has given up one or less runs in 10 of the last 15 starts.

If you had told me this would be the case before the season, I would have told you the Nats will/would be seriously pushing the wildcard spot.
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#9 » by Scabs304 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:51 pm

Jollay wrote:Right now as of 6/16, the Nats have gone 13 straight games without an error, the longest streak since the Yankees went 18 straight games in 2009. After a horrid start fielding, they actually are tied for the least amount of errors in the NL.

Their starting pitching has given up one or less runs in 10 of the last 15 starts.

If you had told me this would be the case before the season, I would have told you the Nats will/would be seriously pushing the wildcard spot.

I was following the errorless streak and then you go and jinx it. Being only a boxscore watcher most the time I tend to notice these things. The numbers are starting to pick up hitting wise and if we can keep pitching and fielding where we have been the Nats can be pretty good this year.
I am Scabs.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by pineappleheadindc » Sat Aug 6, 2011 11:41 pm

To revisit this:

I must reiterate. It's nice to watch the Nats this season not kick the ball around. Being older than dirt, I don't mind - and like - low scoring ball games that feature great pitching and defense.

Finish strong, keep the core intact, keep Strasburg rehabbing over the winter. Next season, our next step should be to try and be in the wild card hunt at the end of the season.

Crawl > walk > run

--Confucius

- Yoda

Return to Washington Nationals