ImageImageImage

Nats Final May Homestand (Beltway Series)

Moderator: Rafael122

Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Nats Final May Homestand (Beltway Series) 

Post#1 » by Jollay » Tue May 15, 2012 12:09 pm

Two with the Pads, two with the Pirates, three with the Orioles, who apparently, like the Nats are for some reason good.

Beat the Pads last night 8-5 in a strangely high-scoring game. Bryce hit his first homer (where a fan couldn't get it), the new catcher got hurt immediately, and Henry was replaced by Burnett after almost blowing it again.

Matinee with Strasburg today, but it's a monsoon out there. Too bad, was going to blow off work go over early and autograph hunt.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,815

Re: Nats Final May Homestand 

Post#2 » by Rafael122 » Tue May 15, 2012 1:25 pm

If the Nats don't make the playoffs, it won't be because the team is terrible but because they can't stay healthy. Just an awful turn of events and luckily Leon only managed to get a high ankle sprain. It's bizarre!
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Jollay » Thu May 17, 2012 12:57 am

Looks like Gio has things under control against the Pirates tonight. Good thing too after the Stras disaster yesterday, although that botch in the first had alot to do with it.

Outfield defense has become a concern of mine as well. Harper is still learning, and Morse's return isn't gonna exactly make things better.

EDIT--As a write this, two-run shot brings the Pirates to within 4-3 in the seventh...uh-oh.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4 » by Rafael122 » Thu May 17, 2012 1:36 pm

Went to the game last night, girlfriend surprised me with tickets to the game so we went. Good game to go to, the ball park I would venture to say was 75% full. Nats are doing a great PR job by the way, I think it was $5 peanut and beer night last night. Great weather too.

LaRoche has been our savior this year, and I learned the other day there's a mutual option on his contract that I would think the Nats are going to pick up on their end.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Jollay » Fri May 18, 2012 3:03 pm

Yeah, the crowd surprised me with how good it was! Good time despite the loss!!

I'm torn with LaRoche because I and probably the Nats envision Morse moving to first. And although LaRoche has been every bit worth the 8 a year he's making this year, will it be worth signing him to 2-3 year deal large (ten a year?) to watch Morse play outfield next year and beyond (pending a resign)?

I admit, the problem is less severe with all the strikeout pitchers the Nats have. Outfield defense is less of a concern than it was.

Split with the Pads, split with the Pirates now the Orioles in a battle of two surprising teams. Arrietta versus Jackson tonight.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: Nats Final May Homestand (Beltway Series) 

Post#6 » by Rafael122 » Fri May 18, 2012 3:09 pm

Attendance is going to be very interesting. I would say Orioles fans would make the trek to DC instead of DC fans going to Baltimore. Arrieta has struggled the last two outings, but their offense, especially Adam Jones has been filthy.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Jollay » Mon May 21, 2012 1:22 pm

Dynamite attendance the whole weekend with Saturday's game the second largest crowd in Nats Park history. The concourse/main levels were actually probably the most crowded ever--it was only a lack of suite sales that prevented it from technically being a sellout.

Very strong O's turnout. Best of both worlds I suppose--get to see the team without giving Angelos money.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Rafael122 » Wed May 23, 2012 12:51 am

I grew up an Orioles fan, but I switched to the Nats, so this was a tough series to watch. I'd be that guy with an O's hat and a Nats t-shirt. I like the fact that both teams seem to be playing well but if I had to chose which one would come back down to reality, it would be the Orioles.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Jollay » Wed May 23, 2012 1:21 pm

Rafael122 wrote:I grew up an Orioles fan, but I switched to the Nats, so this was a tough series to watch. I'd be that guy with an O's hat and a Nats t-shirt. I like the fact that both teams seem to be playing well but if I had to chose which one would come back down to reality, it would be the Orioles.

It's tough--I was born in Wisconsin and remain a Brewers fan. When they come to DC I still am very torn.

But I've lived in the Richmond/DC corridor now for 30 years, and the Nats are the first team around here that has remotely come close to winning me over. They made me season ticket holder of the month last month and let me throw out a first pitch for God's sakes.

And if I was an O's fan? With Angelos? I'd be Nats all the way by now...

Return to Washington Nationals