ImageImageImage

Will MPJ ever return to this?

Moderator: THE J0KER

Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,750

Will MPJ ever return to this? 

Post#1 » by Cubbies2120 » Tue May 14, 2024 8:59 pm

Sitting here watching MPJ highlights and remembered to look up his high school and early NBA highlights and the amount of 'wiggle' in his game compared to now was night-and-day. Obviously, he developed foot drop the following season and he's been a far less 'movement' oriented scorer and pretty much relies on either backdoor cuts or shooting jumpers. If he had continued to progress from his sophomore year (19 PPG on 13 FGA, 54 FG%) would the Nuggets have had a bonafide #2 in MPJ instead of relying on Murray to be that guy?

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,273

Re: Will MPJ ever return to this? 

Post#2 » by skywalker33 » Tue May 14, 2024 9:39 pm

I've always been one who believes MPJ has the talent to become a #1 scorer, but he's bought into the hierarchy of this system. Murray has shown he can be the turbocharger when he's healthy, really none better, especially given the chemistry he has with Joker. Also, MPJ HAS shown he can step up into the #2 scoring role but also has shown he can disappear or defer to other talent. I have always felt MPJ doesn't exude the consistency/confidence to displace Murray, but more consistency would make him the threat he has been meant to become
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,750

Post#3 » by Cubbies2120 » Tue May 14, 2024 9:58 pm

skywalker33 wrote:I've always been one who believes MPJ has the talent to become a #1 scorer, but he's bought into the hierarchy of this system. Murray has shown he can be the turbocharger when he's healthy, really none better, especially given the chemistry he has with Joker. Also, MPJ HAS shown he can step up into the #2 scoring role but also has shown he can disappear or defer to other talent. I have always felt MPJ doesn't exude the consistency/confidence to displace Murray, but more consistency would make him the threat he has been meant to become

Yes, but do you think he's ever going to recover the dribble-drive skills he showed prior to drop foot? It'd be almost a bit disappointing if he remains a jump shooter 90% of the time relying on looks created for him by Jokic/Murray.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,584

Post#4 » by THE J0KER » Tue May 14, 2024 10:07 pm

MPJ is playing right now his arguably best playoff ever, and behind the 19-7 numbers are TS%67% (47%3p%). In his sophomore year, Murray was out of playoffs so players like Campazzo and Rivers are starters, but MPJ has better numbers now playing for champions than back then (17-6 TS%60%) when we were routinely 4-0 swept in round 2 by the Suns.
skywalker33

Post#5 » by skywalker33 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:15 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:I've always been one who believes MPJ has the talent to become a #1 scorer, but he's bought into the hierarchy of this system. Murray has shown he can be the turbocharger when he's healthy, really none better, especially given the chemistry he has with Joker. Also, MPJ HAS shown he can step up into the #2 scoring role but also has shown he can disappear or defer to other talent. I have always felt MPJ doesn't exude the consistency/confidence to displace Murray, but more consistency would make him the threat he has been meant to become

Yes, but do you think he's ever going to recover the dribble-drive skills he showed prior to drop foot? It'd be almost a bit disappointing if he remains a jump shooter 90% of the time relying on looks created for him by Jokic/Murray.

I agree he needs to put that 6'10" 220lb frame to work inside the paint, take advantage of the size mismatches would make him more dangerous, just not sure that is his wheel house. Still, isn't the paint where AG50 lives ?

BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 3,106

Post#6 » by BelgradeNugget » Mon May 20, 2024 10:54 am

Cubbies2120 wrote:Sitting here watching MPJ highlights and remembered to look up his high school and early NBA highlights and the amount of 'wiggle' in his game compared to now was night-and-day. Obviously, he developed foot drop the following season and he's been a far less 'movement' oriented scorer and pretty much relies on either backdoor cuts or shooting jumpers. If he had continued to progress from his sophomore year (19 PPG on 13 FGA, 54 FG%) would the Nuggets have had a bonafide #2 in MPJ instead of relying on Murray to be that guy?

He already had foot brace in this highligts, foot drop was from his second procedure before his rookie season
skywalker33

Post#7 » by skywalker33 » Wed May 22, 2024 7:21 pm

Mike taking a LOT of heat from his poor performance vs MINN, but he really had a ton of family issues going on. Is that distraction the reason for his lack of performance? Surely could’ve been part of it but how he reacts to that stress says a lot about him. Does he/ can he bounce back next season ? Does he get traded ?

Return to Denver Nuggets