ImageImageImage

OT: Telluride

Moderator: THE J0KER

rutheredfox
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

OT: Telluride 

Post#1 » by rutheredfox » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:36 pm

warriors fan here, We are thinking about going up to telluride over springbreak and i was wondering about the conditions in spring around march, and if it's a mountain worth going to, also the lift tickets are ridiculously expensive, does anyone know where to get discount lift tickets?
MelosMileHigh
Senior

Post#2 » by MelosMileHigh » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:47 pm

If you are driving, which I assume you are, there is only one road in and out of Telluride. If there is a snowstorm, it can get nasty quick.

That said I am over 30, born and raised in Colorado, and have boarded basically every mountain in the state. Telluride the town and the mountain are my favorite place there is here (Steamboat is second). Coming from Denver, it is about 5-7 hours in good weather. But from Grand Junction it is about 2 hours through Montrose (if I remember correctly- I dont normally go that way). The Good and Bad thing for you, March is the heaviest snow month of the year and storms are unpredictable in that part of the state, so the mountain will be terrific but getting there could suck.
'
As far as prices, you are coming in the busy season so getting lifttickets cheap is tough. Most areas do a special if you stay at their resort for multiple days they will throw in lift tickets or discount them.

Also houses in Telluride are for rent by the week. They are really expensive, but if a bunch of you are coming it can become pretty reasonable.

Hope this Helps!
"I would rather be shot in the head than play for Denver." - Steve Francis

That 2002-03 Laker team went on to lose to the Spurs in the second round. I remember because I was a Laker fan then. -Snakefromhell
rutheredfox
Bench Warmer

Post#3 » by rutheredfox » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:53 pm

thanks alot. my family was thinking about flying, but apparently you have to fly to denver and then drive into town or connect to telluride.
pickaxe
Analyst
And1: 66

Post#4 » by pickaxe » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:15 pm

rutheredfox wrote:thanks alot. my family was thinking about flying, but apparently you have to fly to denver and then drive into town or connect to telluride.

I've never done it - but SLC has flights into Grand Junction, then it's 120-30 miles to Telluride. You could connect from Oakland to SLC to GJ theoretically.

Driven from the Bay Area through the highway near Telluride before, all the way back up to Denver - and that was the best part of the trip. GJ to Telluride would be a breeze in comparison...
MelosMileHigh
Senior

Post#5 » by MelosMileHigh » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:59 pm

rutheredfox wrote:thanks alot. my family was thinking about flying, but apparently you have to fly to denver and then drive into town or connect to telluride.

If you are flying, might I suggest Steamboat. There are direct flights from San Francisco to Steamboat. Or, if you want to come into Denver, it is only 2 1/2 hours from the airport in Denver to Steamboat (and the drive is beautiful)

The town is beautiful, mountain is great, alot of other things to do- including great natural hot springs. I go there at least 3 times a year (summer and winter),

Although, I am biased- I got married there :D
"I would rather be shot in the head than play for Denver." - Steve Francis

That 2002-03 Laker team went on to lose to the Spurs in the second round. I remember because I was a Laker fan then. -Snakefromhell
rutheredfox
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by rutheredfox » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:11 am

thanks for the suggestion. i'll have to try steamboat some other time, possible over this month, but we reserved a place at telluride, so haha yea didn't know it was that difficult to get to. hopefully it'll be worthwhile. im just used to going to tahoe, 3 hour drive on highway. no flying or anything.
djtruebeliever
Bench Warmer
Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream

Post#7 » by djtruebeliever » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:13 am

i've always been partial to crested butte myself. flying into telluride will cost you a grip of money. if you're gonna go just drive, weather permitting.
I'm in Kokokiko!

Return to Denver Nuggets