ImageImageImage

2023 Offseason

Moderator: THE J0KER

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,273

Re: 2023 Offseason 

Post#61 » by skywalker33 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 6:24 pm

Manolito wrote:I should wait until Summer League, but IMHO really Poor offseason. I am sure this is first champion team ever with 5 rookies / sophomores. We don't have any backup center (Nnaji is not a center!!!). The strategy to build a bench who can compete in deep play off runs out of low first round picks and second rounders is extremely unlikely to pan out. Look recent Warriors example with lottery picks Wiseman, Kuminga and Moody.

Why not signing Tyson to a two contract and bring up a vet Center with minimum contract? Why spending TMLE (with PO!) in a player who got 0 minutes in Play Off? Use Brown example (x3 salary after playing with Jokic) to bring quality players.

1-2 quality vet players would have given us a boost at low risk. I am not sure this roster is better than last year's

Nnaji can/will be utilized as a small-ball C much the way Green was used (I think, if healthy, he could be better than Uncle Jeff) and we did resign DAJ, so there is that.

As for the youth, Booth did draft older rookies knowing they should be able to produce within Jokic's Championship window better than underclassmen will be able to.

And you gotta give Calvin some benefit of the doubt, especially given his salary cap restraints. Aside from the inevitable loss of Brown (who can blame him for taking that contract, we couldn't offer him ANYTHING close...and at least he didn't leave for the Lakers), the only questionable move IMO is Reggie Jackson (although I can see a possible scenario where CB uses his salary in a trade)
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
Manolito
Senior
And1: 394

Post#62 » by Manolito » Thu Jul 6, 2023 7:04 pm

I prefer being optimistic, CB deserves much credit after his first season. But this all in draft strategy in a contender is very risky

Nnaji is not center, he will never be. He is a stretch PF who can switch with almost everyone. Part of the reason we do not know yet what kind of player he is, is because he is being misused (injuries aside). Btw, only 3% of Jeff Green's playing time last season was as a Center.
Nobody will take RJax in a trade with 5.25M guaranteed money for next season
Brown loss is totally normal, nobody is blaming CB for that. But Eric Gordon, NAW, Plumlee...all have salaries we could have matched. You only need to convince one of these guys

We are financially super restricted, but that does not mean you need to create a whole new bench from the draft. Braun, Watson are potential homeruns already in the team during Jokic's prime, you only need to sign one veteran per year to have a solid 8 years man rotation. Additionally, you spend your only asset to sign a DNP player.

I will be very happy if I am wrong. I am high on Pickett, but I still think offseason could have been better. No need for such a big risk, an hybrid model with 1-2 veteran additions per year might have more reasonable.
skywalker33

Post#63 » by skywalker33 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 7:45 pm

Manolito wrote:I prefer being optimistic, CB deserves much credit after his first season. But this all in draft strategy in a contender is very risky

Nnaji is not center, he will never be. He is a stretch PF who can switch with almost everyone. Part of the reason we do not know yet what kind of player he is, is because he is being misused (injuries aside). Btw, only 3% of Jeff Green's playing time last season was as a Center.
Nobody will take RJax in a trade with 5.25M guaranteed money for next season
Brown loss is totally normal, nobody is blaming CB for that. But Eric Gordon, NAW, Plumlee...all have salaries we could have matched. You only need to convince one of these guys

We are financially super restricted, but that does not mean you need to create a whole new bench from the draft. Braun, Watson are potential homeruns already in the team during Jokic's prime, you only need to sign one veteran per year to have a solid 8 years man rotation. Additionally, you spend your only asset to sign a DNP player.

I will be very happy if I am wrong. I am high on Pickett, but I still think offseason could have been better. No need for such a big risk, an hybrid model with 1-2 veteran additions per year might have more reasonable.

For preferring to be optimistic, you're NOT.

Nnaji played very well as a C with both Murry and Jackson playing the PG, worse when he played with Bones at PG. I somewhat agree Nnaji is playing out of position, but he can play the small-ball C position, we'll have to agree to disagree about this assessment. And Green played C much of the time in the playoffs, where you got 3% I'd love to find that assessment as he played small-ball C in that lineup.

To say no one will trade for Rjax with a $5.25 price tag is just being pessimistic (oops), nobody ever thought Wiggins could get traded from MINN but he did (and became productive BTW). I could see his salary as a throw-in but never say never.

As for Gordon (no defense), NAW ( ??), and we already let Plumlee go (I did like him here), I could see many players I like better than Holiday or Jackson, so there's where I gotta trust in CB's vision over my personal preferences.

I found the offseason to be very questionable myself, but those were based on my personal preferences as well. Not trying to change or dispute my opinion over yours, but I do dispute some of your optimism.

Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,890

Post#64 » by Richard Miller » Fri Jul 7, 2023 1:52 pm

Manolito wrote:Brown loss is totally normal, nobody is blaming CB for that. But Eric Gordon, NAW, Plumlee...all have salaries we could have matched. You only need to convince one of these guys

Plumlee and any other center know they would be getting little playtime behind Jokic and would be DNP-CD as soon as the playoff starts. Something like that is fine with Deandre Jordan, but Plumlee and similar guys want minutes
skywalker33

Post#65 » by skywalker33 » Sat Jul 8, 2023 8:20 pm

Saw UTH just signed Paul Reed to a 3-yr $23m offer sheet. Now while I'm NEVER against putting it to the Sixers, it seems like an overpay to me. Is Reed a really good defender ??

Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,069

Post#66 » by Hoopz Afrik » Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:47 pm

I feel like Ayo Dosunmu would be a great fit for you all and a good Bruce Brown replacement in terms of fit and even personality. I really hope you all end up bringing him in but it seems like the roster is set at this point.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
skywalker33

Post#67 » by skywalker33 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:37 am

Hoopz Afrik wrote:I feel like Ayo Dosunmu would be a great fit for you all and a good Bruce Brown replacement in terms of fit and even personality. I really hope you all end up bringing him in but it seems like the roster is set at this point.

We have 2 two-way contracts, but we already have a lot of talent (KCP, Braun, Pwatson/Strawther) at SG

Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,069

Post#68 » by Hoopz Afrik » Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:20 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
Hoopz Afrik wrote:I feel like Ayo Dosunmu would be a great fit for you all and a good Bruce Brown replacement in terms of fit and even personality. I really hope you all end up bringing him in but it seems like the roster is set at this point.

We have 2 two-way contracts, but we already have a lot of talent (KCP, Braun, Pwatson/Strawther) at SG

Completely understood. The Nuggets have always intrigued me during the Jokic Era, I've listen to Locked on Nuggets and DNVR podcasts and it seems like the organization is banking on a lot of internal development to fill out their rotation. Who do you think will be the top 4 guys off the bench for you all? I'd imagine it will be Braun, Watson, and Reggie with either Zeke or Vlatko filling the Jeff Green role but you'd have a much better idea than I do currently.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
skywalker33

Post#69 » by skywalker33 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:25 pm

Hoopz Afrik wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Completely understood. The Nuggets have always intrigued me during the Jokic Era, I've listen to Locked on Nuggets and DNVR podcasts and it seems like the organization is banking on a lot of internal development to fill out their rotation. Who do you think will be the top 4 guys off the bench for you all? I'd imagine it will be Braun, Watson, and Reggie with either Zeke or Vlatko filling the Jeff Green role but you'd have a much better idea than I do currently.

Denver has never been known as a Freee Agent Destination Spot so we have to rely on player development. Even Bruce Brown coming here was probably one of our best FA signings, which he was but seems like a bit of a (Good) fluke. You seemed to hit the nail on the head with our bench, young but there could be some talent there. Don't count out Hunter Tyson, that dude can shoot the rock.

skywalker33

Post#70 » by skywalker33 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:46 pm

Well, the Key to the season just signed...er, Braxton Key that is. He a 6'8" 230lb combo forward out of the Mav's SL team. Looks like a good defender but is limited on offense, we shall see what he's got. He pulls down one of our 2-way deals, expect him to get plenty of G-League time, our Jack White replacement it appears. I really like this signing, 'Gillispie may get a 2-way as well.

skywalker33

Post#71 » by skywalker33 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:39 pm

Nuggets finishing out their roster, not a big surprise but they're signing Collin Gillispie to a 2nd 2-way but more importantly, they are signing 7'1" 240lbs Center Jay Huff to the last 2-way contract....YES...a backup Center to replace the old man, Nikola Jokic. LOL

TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,845

Post#72 » by TunaFish » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:41 am

The only question left is whether they have replaced Bruce Brown?
Canned in Denver.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#73 » by Coeur » Tue Aug 1, 2023 2:55 am

I still like killian Hayes from Detroit. And they drafted a 2nd rd pg and brought in Monte Morris. I don’t want to trade either for him but the pistons and other teams should be really interested in Vlatko Cancar or Nnaji.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#74 » by Coeur » Tue Aug 1, 2023 2:57 am

KCP for Bogdan Bogdanovic
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,890

Post#75 » by Richard Miller » Tue Aug 1, 2023 6:29 am

Coeur wrote:KCP for Bogdan Bogdanovic

Starters aren't going anywhere
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,584

Post#76 » by THE J0KER » Sat Aug 5, 2023 5:54 am

Read on Twitter

According to some indications, it is not ACL, but today will be on MRI. Whish him best.
skywalker33

Post#77 » by skywalker33 » Sat Aug 5, 2023 7:25 pm

Prayers out to Vlatko and family, hope he’s alright. Just makes me question the reasoning of the World Cup, especially to professional athletes, glad Jokic stayed home

TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,845

Post#78 » by TunaFish » Sun Aug 6, 2023 5:47 pm

Cancar has a torn ACL. It's a real loss as he is the steady veteran that every club needs and is great around the clubhouse.

I guess we are in the market for a power forward.
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#79 » by skywalker33 » Mon Aug 7, 2023 1:24 am

Wonder if Nuggets will apply for a financial/roster exemption?

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,584

Post#80 » by THE J0KER » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:39 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Denver Nuggets