ImageImageImage

Mixed lineups

Moderator: THE J0KER

BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 3,064

Mixed lineups 

Post#1 » by BelgradeNugget » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:34 pm

We have great starting lineup, and bad bench as usual, with Reggie Jackson/Christian Braun/Payton Watson/Vlatko Cancar/Zake Nnaji if coaching staff use them that way. I thought if Malone mixes it a little bit we could be pretty good. So my idea is this. Simplified. Each lineup plays 16 minutes. Starters play roughly 32 mins, bench players 16 mins.

1. Murray/KCP/MPJ/AG/Jokic
2. Reggie/Braun/MPJ/Cancar/Jokic
3. Murray/KCP/Watson/AG/Nnaji

I think this way we have good mix of O and D. Reggie wouldn't be asked to make plays for the others much, he could be scorer. Jokic would use Braun and Cancar the best way, MPJ would be primary scorer in that lineup. In 3rd lineup Nnaji would have help from AG against stronger bigs. This would be our version of switch all, small ball lineup (similar to last year's Green lineup). We could use Braun in 3rd lineup in place of KCP to give him some additional minutes. It could work...

I like our 2nd rounders but I don't expect Pickett or Tyson will crack rotation in the first 2-3 months (except as injury replacement). If they are good simply replace Reggie with Pickett and Watson/Cancar with Tyson.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,845

Re: Mixed lineups 

Post#2 » by TunaFish » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:26 am

BelgradeNugget wrote:We have great starting lineup, and bad bench as usual, with Reggie Jackson/Christian Braun/Payton Watson/Vlatko Cancar/Zake Nnaji if coaching staff use them that way. I thought if Malone mixes it a little bit we could be pretty good. So my idea is this. Simplified. Each lineup plays 16 minutes. Starters play roughly 32 mins, bench players 16 mins.

1. Murray/KCP/MPJ/AG/Jokic
2. Reggie/Braun/MPJ/Cancar/Jokic
3. Murray/KCP/Watson/AG/Nnaji

I think this way we have good mix of O and D. Reggie wouldn't be asked to make plays for the others much, he could be scorer. Jokic would use Braun and Cancar the best way, MPJ would be primary scorer in that lineup. In 3rd lineup Nnaji would have help from AG against stronger bigs. This would be our version of switch all, small ball lineup (similar to last year's Green lineup). We could use Braun in 3rd lineup in place of KCP to give him some additional minutes. It could work...

I like our 2nd rounders but I don't expect Pickett or Tyson will crack rotation in the first 2-3 months (except as injury replacement). If they are good simply replace Reggie with Pickett and Watson/Cancar with Tyson.

Bench needs more scoring and that suggests that the rookies may be called upon sooner than later. Last season Brown stepped up but now is gone so we have to see what we have during preseason before drawing any rotation plans. This preseason will be important to find a bench unit.
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,273

Post#3 » by skywalker33 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:18 pm

While I agree with the staggering lineup, I believe at least one starter on the floor all the time, some bench players may need more time to gain some consistency.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 3,064

Post#4 » by BelgradeNugget » Tue Aug 1, 2023 7:49 am

This was just simplest, basic idea regarding players who compliment each other in lineups. There are always injuries and rest. For instance Zake plays 16 minutes when Jokic plays, but when Jokic is out Zake plays 30 minutes. On average he will play 20+ minutes. Then there are blowouts, more bench. Those are games when we should play all-bench lineups.

From simple 16-16-16 lineups we can always exclude Christian Braun and give him bigger role. KCP -4 (28) MPJ -2 (30), CB +6 (22)... And of course minutes will be different because of foul trouble, opponent...

I just think we should mix not one but all starters with bench because if we play Reggie/CB/Watson/Vlatko/Zake it is a recipe for disaster. Reggie creating offense by himself means no offense, Vlatko/Zake will get outrebounded every game. Then CB and Watson will be put in bad position to be asked to do something they are not ready jet. On the other hand we will still be underusing MPJ as 1st scoring option and AG as creator on offense...
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,273

Post#5 » by skywalker33 » Tue Aug 1, 2023 2:10 pm

It's hard to call a full bench lineup a recipe foir disaster (yet) without giving them a chance to see if they can build some chemistry. Reggie has history of being able to guide a team while adding some clutch shooting, will be be able to do it here ??? Good question. Braun showed he can bring defense an surprise us with some offense (although that was usually playing with Jokic), yet another good "let's see it first" answer to be fulfilled. I am excited/antsy to see Watson. Glimpses of the player he "could" become are there, to me I could see some starter potential even, but he's really green so far.

I agree putting at least one of our starters in with the bench is a good idea, Murray showed that last season as he played quite a few mins with the bench players, felt like it built up his confidence a lot. I could see the same thing this year with MPJ, hoping for that same side benefit. And ANYTIME Jokic is on the floor, he will make the other players better, just a fact.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#6 » by Coeur » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:23 am

Jamal Murray is so good he could probably assist hunt and maybe look like a better player overall by trying to go 20-10 but I think it’s lucky he’s trying to be himself because he is him.

Murray is a machine about going for it. He’s supposed to score. We haven’t even seen the best yet. A really good season Murray may be scoring more than Jokic. Prob not. But with pace increases and how good these guys both are I wouldn’t be surprised to see both scoring high 20’s +.

If a bunch of guys in the nba are going to start averaging 30 Jamal will be one of them. Prob Jok as well.

Return to Denver Nuggets