AL rookie of the year?

Moderator: TyCobb

bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#21 » by bigboy1234 » Tue Sep 4, 2007 11:38 pm

livestrong4ever wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Shut the hell up about defense braun has put up great numbers and has been a top 5 player in the MLB. THE MLB, not only rookies since his call up. And Braun has made some great plays. He has made some stupid plays. He is a rookie.

LOL, top 5 player in the MLB, keep dreaming, he's not even a top 3 NL 3rd baseman (Wright, Cabrera, Chipper). Guess who's also a rookie Troy Tulowitzki and he hasn't made stupid plays and has been up for the whole season. And seriously you just sound stupid with "shut the hell up about defense". But Braun has been a great hitter this year, not top 5 though, but you can't just overlook defense and the fact that Tulo has been doing it for the whole season.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#22 » by Buck You » Tue Sep 4, 2007 11:44 pm

bigboy1234 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

LOL, top 5 player in the MLB, keep dreaming, he's not even a top 3 NL 3rd baseman (Wright, Cabrera, Chipper). Guess who's also a rookie Troy Tulowitzki and he hasn't made stupid plays and has been up for the whole season. And seriously you just sound stupid with "shut the hell up about defense". But Braun has been a great hitter this year, not top 5 though, but you can't just overlook defense and the fact that Tulo has been doing it for the whole season.

While I agree with you about the defense Braun just has natural hitting talent and it wouldn't matter if he got called up in the beginning of the season or in May like he was.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#23 » by bigboy1234 » Tue Sep 4, 2007 11:54 pm

ReddBogutCharlieV wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

While I agree with you about the defense Braun just has natural hitting talent and it wouldn't matter if he got called up in the beginning of the season or in May like he was.

Oh, its not about that, I agree with that maybe he would do a little worse but not enough to matter. It's mostly that Tulo has actually been up for the big league club for the whole season so to me that is more valuable. Hell I'm not even saying Tulo should win it, just that I don't think it's an easy decision that it should be Braun.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#24 » by craig01 » Thu Sep 6, 2007 10:53 pm

kobeSTOPkobeDONT wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Young will probably get some votes from voters who only look at his pretty solid average and very good RBI totals but ignore his pathetic on base percentage and well below average slugging percentage.

I hope the voters also note Young's 15 outfield assists (was tied for the major league lead) and his .370 avg with runners in scoring position.

Young has been out there every day, and has been royally consistent on a bad team.

His HR's will come down the road.

He'll finish with around 15 hr's, and 90+ rbi's while batting around .290.

He is "true" ROY candidate.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#25 » by The Rondo Show » Fri Sep 7, 2007 12:32 am

craig01 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I hope the voters also note Young's 15 outfield assists (was tied for the major league lead) and his .370 avg with runners in scoring position.

Young has been out there every day, and has been royally consistent on a bad team.

His HR's will come down the road.

He'll finish with around 15 hr's, and 90+ rbi's while batting around .290.

He is "true" ROY candidate.
His AVG with RISP is excellent, but at the end of the day...he's a corner outfielder sporting a .737 OPS.

As for his fielding, there's no doubt he has a gun...but in the small sample size I've seen of him in the field (Red Sox/D-Rays games, and a few innings here and there of D-Rays games on Extra Innings), I've considered his range to be pretty poor. I expected him to be far faster and a better baserunner based on the scouting reports.

I like Delmon still and think he has a good chance at becoming a star (though he REALLY needs to improve his plate discipline a lot), but with a .737 OPS...he wouldn't be getting my ROY vote, that's for sure.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#26 » by craig01 » Fri Sep 7, 2007 1:13 am

Young's range in right field is AOK.

He was forced to play CF for most of July, to which he'd never really played before, and definitely lacked range there.

As far as the plate discipline goes, yeah, that's a needed area of improvement......he is a true rookie though......but what rookie is perfect in every category?

Young is definitely a legitimate candidate ( not the likely winner though) for ROY.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
34Celtic
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#27 » by 34Celtic » Fri Sep 7, 2007 3:18 am

First of all what is not being mentioned here is Young's arm.

Anyways I'll take a better player career wise than someone who has won rookie of the year.

For Christ's sake Angel Berroa won a rookie of the year. so did Todd Hollandsworth. It doesn't guarantee anything in the long run. In the long run I'll take Young...so long as he doesn't kill any umpires.
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#28 » by The Rondo Show » Fri Sep 7, 2007 4:04 am

34Celtic wrote:First of all what is not being mentioned here is Young's arm.

Anyways I'll take a better player career wise than someone who has won rookie of the year.

For Christ's sake Angel Berroa won a rookie of the year. so did Todd Hollandsworth. It doesn't guarantee anything in the long run. In the long run I'll take Young...so long as he doesn't kill any umpires.
First off, his arm was mentioned twice-- once by craig and once by me.

Next, no one claimed that winning rookie of the year means you're destined to make the HOF and no one claimed that if you don't win it you're going to have a crappy career.

I even said that I still think Delmon will be a star (though he needs to improve his plate discipline drastically to become one, still real young and plenty of time), just that he wouldn't be deserving of ROY (IMO) when he isn't getting on base and he's not hitting for power.
mets87
Senior

Post#29 » by mets87 » Fri Sep 7, 2007 6:20 am

pedroia
Boston's Future
Pro Prospect

Post#30 » by Boston's Future » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:05 am

mets87 wrote:pedroia

Honstely, I'm starting to think that to. Peds is leading all AL rookies in average, in fact he's the only one hitting over .300, he's up at .327. He's durable, and has played great 2nd base this year for the Sox. Also, he's on a winning team.
JohnnyK
Junior

Post#31 » by JohnnyK » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:42 am

Gotta go with Pedroia as well. He just plays great baseball.

As for Delmon Young - plate discipline is the one thing that rarely improves much (Jos

Return to The General MLB Board