2014 Offseason Thread

Moderator: TyCobb

Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Re: 2014 Offseason Thread 

Post#761 » by Higga » Mon Mar 2, 2015 6:54 pm

Stanford wrote:It's not as if your window is closing.

I don't know man. Zimmermann, Fister, and Desmond are all FAs after this year. And it won't be long before Stras and Harper hit FA. Werth is also aging and probably going to decline soon.

I'm not saying we'll suddenly suck after this year but if we don't win it this year, we'll probably have to retool a bit and won't really be contenders again for another few years.

You gotta strike while the iron is hot because you never know how many opportunities you'll have.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#762 » by ATL Boy » Fri Mar 6, 2015 12:12 am

Higga wrote:
Stanford wrote:It's not as if your window is closing.

I don't know man. Zimmermann, Fister, and Desmond are all FAs after this year. And it won't be long before Stras and Harper hit FA. Werth is also aging and probably going to decline soon.

I'm not saying we'll suddenly suck after this year but if we don't win it this year, we'll probably have to retool a bit and won't really be contenders again for another few years.

You gotta strike while the iron is hot because you never know how many opportunities you'll have.

Also take into account that the NL East is pretty weak after Washington right now too. The Braves have decided to retool and probably won't be competing for it until 2017, the Marlins are still a young team that won't hit its stride yet and will probably put Jose Fernandez on an innings count this year, the Mets aren't there yet (although I look forward to seeing how Matt Harvey plays in his comeback this year), and the Phillies are just gonna be bad for a few years because they didn't retool/rebuild when they should've and are now suffering the consequences.

Fast forward it and the Nats will have to give big free agent deals to Harper and Stras soon, the Marlins will look very scary when their young talent matures and plays around Giancarlo and Fernandez, that Mets' pitching rotation will be formidable, and the Braves will bear the fruits from all of the trades made this offseason as good looking prospects (Fried, Folty, Peraza) will pair with the good young rotation we have now and the offense will continue to be anchored by Freddie Freeman who might get even better in a few years.

Now, this is just the division we're talking about, there's still teams like the Dodgers and Giants to worry about in the playoffs, but a championship window can close quickly. It's important for the Nats to make the most of this opportunity and "strike while the iron is hot" as you say. Although, with Washington's farm system, I expect them to be in the division hunt for years and years to come, it just won't be as open as it is now.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,644

Post#763 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Mar 6, 2015 8:33 am

Pence out for 6-8 weeks with broken arm.

#oddyears
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Higga
Lead Assistant

Post#764 » by Higga » Fri Mar 6, 2015 3:55 pm

Zimm apparently looked good at 1B yesterday. That's one of my two big concerns going into the year, the other being our bullpen. I do trust Zimm thoughas fielding was never the issue, throwing was, and you rarely have to throw from 1B.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#765 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:05 am

funny to see Panda taking a run at his former club and teammates.

Who says you have to be friends to get the job done?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#766 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:48 pm

Yu Darvish TJS.

out for season.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,016

Post#767 » by Stanford » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:18 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:funny to see Panda taking a run at his former club and teammates.

Evidently he hated everyone besides Boch' and Hunter. Weird.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,523

Post#768 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:29 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Yu Darvish TJS.

out for season.

Rangers need to rebuild, their run at losing in the World Series is over
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#769 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:27 am

Stanford wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:funny to see Panda taking a run at his former club and teammates.

Evidently he hated everyone besides Boch' and Hunter. Weird.

wow.

it keeps going…lol.

Panda v. Huff
Look at him. Look at me. :o
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,016

Post#770 » by Stanford » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:31 pm

"I'm pretty sure their (sic) wasn't a tear shed on behalf of all the players, and the coaches when he signed with Boston," Huff's Facebook post from earlier in the week read. "It has always been about Pablo. He had the fans fooled but not the players! One of the biggest reasons he didn't want to come back is because the Giants made him workout on the treadmill every day! Pretty sure that was a driving force for him! Never the less [sic] he could have always been a legend in San Fran but ego always will come in to play when it comes to Pablo! Sorry for the rant just want to take up for the players who are there now holding their tongues, because they don't want to get in the middle of this! If you can't get along with guys like (Buster) Posey, (Madison) Bumgarner, (Matt) Cain, (Jeremy) Affeldt (sic), just to name a few, then maybe it's time to look in the mirror! Rant over!"

Golly. To be honest, while there were a lot of Panda hats at AT&T, the Giants online community had turned on Sandoval a long time ago. Most people were fine with him leaving, even before he signed.
Higga
Lead Assistant

Post#771 » by Higga » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:09 pm

Injuries piling up early for the Nats. Werth is already out for a while, now Span has to get surgery and is out till May and apparently Rendon has a mild MCL sprain. Hopefuly we're just getting the injuries out of the way early....
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#772 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:16 pm

^^^
No pitchers hurt…not a big deal imo.

would like to see Harp play 158-162 this year though.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,523

Post#773 » by RIPskaterdude » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:18 pm

Down goes Wheeler for the Mets. Somewhere, Sabean is smiling in a dark happiness.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#774 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:27 pm

sucks, two of their big prospects have to go under the knife.

can't buy that kind of luck.
Higga
Lead Assistant

Post#775 » by Higga » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:19 pm

I do feel for the Mets. I know what it's like having top pitching prospects having to undergo surgery, but TJ Surgery really isn't a death sentence at all and if anything has made pitchers stronger after returning(at least in our case).
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,088

Post#776 » by High 5 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:54 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:sucks, two of their big prospects have to go under the knife.

Yeah...right...that type of luck with pitchers is unheard of...uh-huh... :nonono:
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#777 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:00 pm

High 5 wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:sucks, two of their big prospects have to go under the knife.

Yeah...right...that type of luck with pitchers is unheard of...uh-huh... :nonono:

Beachy and Medlen will go onto have fine careers.

well…Beachy will :D
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#778 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:15 pm

lol, Scott Boras losing his mind over the Kris Bryant situation.

do your thing Theo.
benjaminbuttonz
Bench Warmer
And1: 886

Post#779 » by benjaminbuttonz » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:32 am

Mookie Betts is such a boss.

lol at the Phillies originally asking for him and Swihart both, wouldnt give up either of them.
Higga
Lead Assistant

Post#780 » by Higga » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:40 pm

Dan Uggla has been raking this Spring. :o

Return to The General MLB Board