All-Star Game

Moderator: TyCobb

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,434

Re: All-Star Game 

Post#21 » by trwi7 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 6:02 am

bigboy1234 wrote:
ReddBogutCharlieV wrote:If the all star game was chosen on defense then it would be one boring game.

Whats the most popular segment on Baseball Tonight?

What the hell does Web Gems have to do with anything? You also don't know if it's the most popular segment on Baseball Tonight and you're making it sound like there's Web Gems all the time. The vast majority of defensive plays in a game are routine for an average defender. Nobody is going to vote for the all-star game based on defense and even if they did they would make a better argument than freaking Web Gems. Hey, Ryan Braun was on Web Gems as a third baseman last year and he looked really good on those plays. Vote him into the all-star game on defense!

Web Gems...LMAO. :lol:
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#22 » by sunshinekids99 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 10:23 am

bigboy1234 wrote:Yeah, it's not a travesty or anything.

I would switch Polanco off the team for Magglio.

No need for 4 2B and Maggs deserves it more.

Why DeJesus over Upton?

Also just noticed you don't have Beltran and Giles on the NL team.

Theres no way D Lee, Dunn, Nady, Braun, or Aramis are better than either this year.

Just my "conctructive" criticisms of your selections. Other than that, looks good. But didn't go through pitchers again, too lazy.

I agree that Mags deserves to be on the team, he's on the DL at the moment tho. So not really sure if he would be ready or not. I would have liked to have Kinsler on the team too, but I got no spot for him.

I think Dye and Upton are close. Just think Dye is having a slightly better season. As for DeJesus, I just forgot about Upton. I'll switch that.

I don't Beltran or Giles are All-Stars. I should have Giles on the final five over Dunn tho.

And another switch I'm going to make is taking off King Felix (DL) and replace him with Scott Kazmir.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#23 » by bigboy1234 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 11:08 am

trwi7 wrote:
bigboy1234 wrote:
ReddBogutCharlieV wrote:If the all star game was chosen on defense then it would be one boring game.

Whats the most popular segment on Baseball Tonight?

What the hell does Web Gems have to do with anything? You also don't know if it's the most popular segment on Baseball Tonight and you're making it sound like there's Web Gems all the time. The vast majority of defensive plays in a game are routine for an average defender. Nobody is going to vote for the all-star game based on defense and even if they did they would make a better argument than freaking Web Gems. Hey, Ryan Braun was on Web Gems as a third baseman last year and he looked really good on those plays. Vote him into the all-star game on defense!

Web Gems...LMAO. :lol:

That defense is not boring.

Defense is part of the game, why shouldn't it be part of the all-star selection process? Thats ridiculous to suggest otherwise. Ozzie Smith probably shouldn't have ever made an all-star game, right? I mean defense, who the hell wants that. It's not like it helps you win games or anything. Lets see some homeruns! And your making it sound like I want Tony Pena in the all-star game or something. No, Beltran and Giles have been just as good offensively as the guys I was comparing them too, yet far better defensively.

SSK, what makes D Lee better than Beltran this year? Beltran plays a gold glove CF, Lee plays an above average 1B. Lee has a couple points advantage in OPS, but Beltran more than makes up for it with over 15 point OBP advantage.

Giles has the same OPS as Beltran but with a OBP over .400 and in a pitchers park while playing great defense. Braun has a few more points OPS wise, but has over an 80 point disadvantage OBP wise and plays far worse defense.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by sunshinekids99 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 4:37 pm

bigboy1234 wrote:
SSK, what makes D Lee better than Beltran this year? Beltran plays a gold glove CF, Lee plays an above average 1B. Lee has a couple points advantage in OPS, but Beltran more than makes up for it with over 15 point OBP advantage.

Giles has the same OPS as Beltran but with a OBP over .400 and in a pitchers park while playing great defense. Braun has a few more points OPS wise, but has over an 80 point disadvantage OBP wise and plays far worse defense.

I think Lee, Giles, Beltran all are about the same. All are right there in OPS. Lee has an advantage in the power numbers, Giles does a better job getting on base. I think it's a close argument. While fair or not I'd also give Lee the advantage that he plays for a very good team. Giles plays for one of the worst teams in baseball and Beltran one of the most disappointing teams.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,434

Post#25 » by trwi7 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 7:46 pm

bigboy1234 wrote:That defense is not boring.

Defense is part of the game, why shouldn't it be part of the all-star selection process? Thats ridiculous to suggest otherwise. Ozzie Smith probably shouldn't have ever made an all-star game, right? I mean defense, who the hell wants that. It's not like it helps you win games or anything. Lets see some homeruns! And your making it sound like I want Tony Pena in the all-star game or something. No, Beltran and Giles have been just as good offensively as the guys I was comparing them too, yet far better defensively.

Because nobody who votes for the all-star game is going to go look at who leads the league in RZR at their respective positions and look to see who leads the league in OOZ?

I'm not saying defense is boring but nobody votes for that. This also gets the casual fan interested in the game. What's going to get the casual fan into the game, good defense or good hitting? Yeah, I think you know the answer to that.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#26 » by bigboy1234 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 8:49 pm

Fans don't vote for offense completely either, they vote for names. People vote for players who are popular, look good doing what they do, and have pretty AVG. HR RBI. Although yes, generally fans don't give a damn about defense, and sadly some teams don't either.

Also, shouldn't the all-star game be for those who deserve it and are actually the best players in the game, not those with the best known names or guys who have the most impressive AVG., HR, RBI. Hell the average fan couldn't even tell those apart much from a player other than power, if they didn't see them so often, but luckily it's so popular to show them all the time.
jeff1624
RealGM
And1: 1,068

Post#27 » by jeff1624 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 11:07 pm

Giambi needs to make it as DH now that ortiz is sitting the one out.
Dat Leadership
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#28 » by studcrackers » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:53 am

no he doesnt milton bradley > jason giambi. i dont wanna have to endure that mustache anymore than ive already had to
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Mr Smoke Weed
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#29 » by Mr Smoke Weed » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:19 am

lol@this dude thinking BJ upton>jermaine dye and beltran/giles>all those much better NL players
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#30 » by bigboy1234 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 7:10 am

Mr Smoke Weed wrote:lol@this dude thinking BJ upton>jermaine dye and beltran/giles>all those much better NL players

Good argument.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by lpsevier » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:17 pm

I would put Jurrjens in the game over Hudson.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#32 » by Da Schwab » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:41 pm

bigboy1234 wrote:Fans don't vote for offense completely either, they vote for names. People vote for players who are popular, look good doing what they do, and have pretty AVG. HR RBI. Although yes, generally fans don't give a damn about defense, and sadly some teams don't either.

Also, shouldn't the all-star game be for those who deserve it and are actually the best players in the game, not those with the best known names or guys who have the most impressive AVG., HR, RBI. Hell the average fan couldn't even tell those apart much from a player other than power, if they didn't see them so often, but luckily it's so popular to show them all the time.

That's why after the fan vote, managers get to pick those who actually deserve to be there. The casual fan could give two sh*ts about guys like Nate McLouth and Jair Jurrjens.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#33 » by bigboy1234 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:23 pm

That's why after the fan vote, managers get to pick those who actually deserve to be there. The casual fan could give two sh*ts about guys like Nate McLouth and Jair Jurrjens.

Except do they really.

Are they looking at Adrain Gonzalez and Brian Giles and trying to incorporate if they played in neutral park how good their stats would be? Or if the Rockies, Red Sox, and D'Backs hitters played in neutral park?

Do they primarily look at AVG, HR, RBI or do they truly value OBP like it should be.

Do they differentiate a players defense at each position or do they just look at the position a player plays and assume they are all the same at their defensive ability unless the player has a reputation.

These are some things I'm not so sure even the managers pick out precisely.
Mr Smoke Weed
Sophomore

Post#34 » by Mr Smoke Weed » Wed Jul 2, 2008 9:02 pm

bigboy1234 wrote:
Mr Smoke Weed wrote:lol@this dude thinking BJ upton>jermaine dye and beltran/giles>all those much better NL players

Good argument.

sorry brother i dont need stats for something i can see with my own eyes
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by bigboy1234 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 9:53 pm

Mr Smoke Weed wrote:
bigboy1234 wrote:

Good argument.

sorry brother i dont need stats for something i can see with my own eyes

You just turned it into the great argument, congratulations.
Mr Smoke Weed
Sophomore

Post#36 » by Mr Smoke Weed » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:36 pm

whatever man, i usually look at the VORP and OBP for players but im interested in some of those defensive stats you brought up
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by sunshinekids99 » Sun Jul 6, 2008 5:00 pm

Alright it is time for another update on my All-Star team. I need Kinsler on the team, him being a snub would be terrible.

Placido Polanco is out with Ian Kinsler replacing him.

Johnny Damon is out with Miguel Cabrera replacing him. (Need a Tigers rep)

Joe Crede is out with Mike Lowell replacing him.

For the NL

Ryan Dempster is out with Dan Haren replaing him.

Aramis Ramirez is out with David Wright replaing him.
Sebastian
Head Coach
And1: 853

Post#38 » by Sebastian » Sun Jul 6, 2008 7:09 pm

White Sox have the best pitching staff in baseball and get no pitchers in.

That makes a whole heck of a lotta sense.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#39 » by bigboy1234 » Sun Jul 6, 2008 7:44 pm

So yeah, the players voted in Vatitek into the game. That is just classic.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#40 » by Da Schwab » Sun Jul 6, 2008 9:43 pm

bigboy1234 wrote:So yeah, the players voted in Vatitek into the game. That is just classic.

You can't leave the most important player in baseball out of the All-Star Game. That big C on his chest isn't just there for decoration.

Return to The General MLB Board