Re: Manny opened to be traded 

Post#16 » by Relentless88 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:19 pm

Rollins was last year's MVP..
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#17 » by greenbeans » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:23 pm

this guy is about as untouchable as they get right now, but if they could deal Manny with half his remaining salary paid, Masterson or Bowden and whatever other reasonable pieces they want to Floridfa for Hanley Ramirez id be a happy man.
put Coco in left and use Moss as your 4th outfielder. then you still have the option in FA of getting Teixera for 1st and moving Youkilis to left. ahh, pipedreams are fun
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#18 » by bigboy1234 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:08 pm

too bad rollins isn't half the player manny is.

If both are forced to be a DH then yeah. Both are overrated, but Rollins is good defensive SS and Manny is the worst fielder in the game. Negating a lot of his value. Rollins is also signed to a very team friendly deal and Manny is one of the most overpayed players in the game.
I would personally punch Theo Epstein in the head if he ever did this deal.

Now, Manny for Rollins, Burrell and…Christ, do the Phillies have any good prospects left?

Put down the pipe. Burrell has more trade value then Manny by himself. As does Rollins. And you want a good prospect. How high are you? An article by MGL two years ago talking about Manny's worth, and Manny has only gotten worse since.

An NL team would be stupid to trade for Manny as he should be a DH. Philly would have to be incredibly stupid to do a deal for Manny considering they already have 2 huge defensive liabilities themselves in Burrell and Howard.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Basketball Jesus » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:42 pm

Man, the powers of sarcasm forever elude you. You need to calm down on the juice boxes and realize I made the statement, not some fanboy.

I am above green font.
cowboys4life
Junior
And1: 1

Post#20 » by cowboys4life » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:36 pm

manny isnt goin n e were
Trust The Process
Pats19andO
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#21 » by Pats19andO » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:47 pm

Id take a Manny,Lugo, and masterson for Rollins and Burrell
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#22 » by studcrackers » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:51 pm

Basketball Jesus wrote:Man, the powers of sarcasm forever elude you. You need to calm down on the juice boxes and realize I made the statement, not some fanboy.

I am above green font.

i thought u were serious too, it didnt look like u were joking
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#23 » by meatball sub » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:17 pm

I'm having a hard time figuring out whether or not Manny really wants to play baseball anymore or if all he needs is a change of scenery. He makes so much sense for the Angels, but he has for the last 2 or 3 years now. I doubt any team that failed to trade for him when he was 34-35 would trade for him when he's 36. Vlad would definitely benefit from having Manny behind him in the order instead of Torii Hunter. They could just alternate Anderson, Vlad, and Manny at DH since they all have no range whatsoever. Their pitching is so good, and they already platoon Anderson/Matthews Jr./Rivera in LF anyway, so I think the effect Manny's bat would have on the lineup is worth it.

Figgins
Kendrick
Vlad
Manny
Hunter
Kotchman
Aybar
Anderson
Mathis

I agree with bigboy, no NL team should even consider trading for him. It's not worth it if he's not going to be able to DH regularly.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Basketball Jesus » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:41 pm

studcrackers wrote:i thought u were serious too, it didnt look like u were joking

Manny, a declining player who’s going to cost an optioned $20MM after this season (if exercised) for two of the best players on the Phillies, one of which (Rollins) is a decent-hitting very-good-defense SS, the other a wholly underrated hitter who’s younger and a better fielder than Manny? Plus a prospect? Zeesh. Give me more credit than that.

I was just being facetious as to the potential for a Manny-Philly deal. Manny for Rollins straight up is a bad deal for the Sox, especially if the prospect is going Philly’s way (mostly for the cash/compensation ramifications plus the matter of Lugo). I wasn’t kidding when I said I’d punch Epstein in the head for that.

Interesting deal would be Pat the Bat for Manny plus some faraway prospect with good upside (Stolmy?). Burrell’s a walk after the season but the Sox would cop the compy picks. And Gillick’s dumb enough to believe this is an even deal.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Basketball Jesus » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:47 pm

Also: how awesome would it be if the Sox had an outfield of Burrell/Crisp/Drew

It’s be like the All-Disappointment Team of the Early ‘00s starting OF.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#26 » by bigboy1234 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:13 pm

I was just being facetious as to the potential for a Manny-Philly deal. Manny for Rollins straight up is a bad deal for the Sox, especially if the prospect is going Philly’s way (mostly for the cash/compensation ramifications plus the matter of Lugo). I wasn’t kidding when I said I’d punch Epstein in the head for that.

As bad as you think that would be for the Sox it would be twice as bad for the Phillies.

Who plays SS for them then? Freddy Galvis who has a tremendous glove but doesn't even have a bat at low A. Eric Bruntlett, yeah he sucks. Jason Donald isn't ready yet.

Manny and Burrell in the same outfield would be brutal.

The Sox would get a player that has tremendous trade value to about 25 teams, while the Phillies would get a player who a team would only be interested in for the 2 comp picks and what he can bring with the bat the rest of the way. He is also makes more than Rollins just remaining this year then Rollins makes all of next year.

Interesting deal would be Pat the Bat for Manny plus some faraway prospect with good upside (Stolmy?). Burrell’s a walk after the season but the Sox would cop the compy picks. And Gillick’s dumb enough to believe this is an even deal.

Manny is due 2.2M more than Burrell for the rest of the season. Burrell is also younger and has been the better player since 2007. That should add up to very good prospect, like at least Michael Almanzar. And I don't see that happening. But yeah a lot of GM are dumb so anything can happen.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#27 » by Celtics_Champs » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:17 pm

As bad as you think that would be for the Sox it would be twice as bad for the Phillies.

:P ok, bad deal for both teams. Just a trade idea.

Phillies GM said he was not interested anyhow, so..
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by HCYanks » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:23 pm

Basketball Jesus wrote:Also: how awesome would it be if the Sox had an outfield of Burrell/Crisp/Drew

It’s be like the All-Disappointment Team of the Early ‘00s starting OF.

Having to root against Pat would break my heart YOU STAY AWAY FROM HIM.

One interesting hitch that could come about should the Sox just let Manny walk in the offseason: once Xavier Nady fails to live up to his overhyped expectations the Yankees could be desperate enough for offense to overpay for ManRam.
jumanji
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#29 » by jumanji » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:04 pm

Unless Boston can come up with a near ace starter (and i dont mean a Jarrod Waashburn) they are done this year. They'll live with Manny till the offseason and then let him go. Somewhere Matt Holiday is licking his chops and probably stocking up on Red sox gear.
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#30 » by greenbeans » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:57 pm

greenbeans wrote:this guy is about as untouchable as they get right now, but if they could deal Manny with half his remaining salary paid, Masterson or Bowden and whatever other reasonable pieces they want to Floridfa for Hanley Ramirez id be a happy man.
put Coco in left and use Moss as your 4th outfielder. then you still have the option in FA of getting Teixera for 1st and moving Youkilis to left. ahh, pipedreams are fun

Skip Baylees did you bite my pipedream?? you rat bastid you!! he just mentioned this "deal" on first take lol
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#31 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:02 pm

^^Skip Bayless reads here. You didn't know that? This board is his "sources"
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#32 » by greenbeans » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:09 pm

ahaha, that would be so fitting.
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by HCYanks » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:02 pm

I sure wouldn't take it as a compliment that Skip Bayless parroted you on something.

Why on Earth would the Marlins do that trade anyway? Hanley is arguably the most valuable young hitter in the league and he's under contract until 2014.
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#34 » by greenbeans » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:17 pm

thats why i repeatedly stated the word "pipedream"
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by HCYanks » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:20 pm