The Trade/Waiver Wire/Firings/Drama Thread

Moderator: TyCobb

GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Re: The Offseason Thread 

Post#241 » by GYBE » Thu Jan 8, 2009 2:25 pm

The "poor defensive sluggers" market has really changed over the past couple of seasons. I mean, Giambi will probably make less than someone like Kevin Gregg will get in arbitration. I think there's a lot of value out there for the teams getting in on these guys.

I'm curious what Adam Dunn's going to end up getting.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#242 » by Buck You » Thu Jan 8, 2009 6:10 pm

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#243 » by craig01 » Thu Jan 8, 2009 8:13 pm

It's kind of disappointing to see Baldelli leave Tampa, but that was expected once Joyce and Burrell came in......along with the rise of Perez last year, Baldelli would have had clogged up a roster spot if he struggled again with his illness.

Great guy, still pretty decent in the OF, always a good hitter....it's just a shame that injuries and illness have robbed him of so much up to this point.

Torn MCL one year playing football with his little brother in the back yard, then tore a ligament in his elbow while rehabbing the knee, then lost most of a year lost to hamstring injuries, and finally last year the mystery illness.

Bizarre to say the least, but if he ever gets healthy , he'll be a great addition to the Sox.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,977

Post#244 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Jan 8, 2009 10:29 pm

Just imagine if Penny and Smoltz rebound and are a 100 percent healthy? Love the moves by the Sox. Rocco is a good guy and wishing him the best.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#245 » by greenbeans » Thu Jan 8, 2009 10:51 pm

Rocco coming home to step into the #5 jersey for the first time since Nomar
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,085

Post#246 » by High 5 » Fri Jan 9, 2009 2:36 am

As if the Braves haven't already had a hilariously bad offseason... :dontknow:

Smoltz was absolutely disgusting at the start of last year. Some of his most dominant stuff yet. He has battled back from worse. Hell, the Sox could just save him for the postseason.

All I know is if all these moves pay off for the Sox and Yankees it's going to be one hell of a fight for that division.
TSC25
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#247 » by TSC25 » Fri Jan 9, 2009 3:12 am

^Still a very good young pitching staff in Tampa so dont count them out just yet!
High 5
RealGM

Post#248 » by High 5 » Fri Jan 9, 2009 3:17 am

TSC25 wrote:^Still a very good young pitching staff in Tampa so dont count them out just yet!

No doubt, I wasn't counting them out. Just talking about all the big moves by the Yankees and Sox that will make that division even more competitive.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#249 » by sunshinekids99 » Fri Jan 9, 2009 12:18 pm

Sox bring back Mark Kotsay for 1 year at 1.5 mil. Not a huge fan of the move, but I guess they could have done worse.
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#250 » by Chach » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:58 pm

I really like the Red Sox off-season. If they can fill the catcher's spot, they are the favorites, no matter how much the Yankees spend. The Yankees have had a quality off-season but we have to see how well they can weather any injuries. The Red Sox have a solid 9 starters that would be starters in the bigs if they played in another organization. Now they are going to need probably every last one of them because they all have question marks. Something could be up with Beckett's elbow, Lester had a 72 innings jump, Wakefield gets hurt every year, Penny and Smoltz are question marks, Buchholz needs to repeat his mechanics, Bowden is 22 and pitched briefly in the majors and Masterson looks destined for the pen. The Yankees have some depth but I like the Sox Plans B, C, and D better.

They just added Saito to their pen too so that bullpen is going to be stacked. If the Sox get anything close to relatively full health from their pitching staff, we are talking dominance.

It's the offense that gives me pause a bit. I like Jason Bay but he is no Manny. Ortiz has had nagging injuries and remains productive but not the Ortiz of old. Mike Lowell is a question mark and if we lose him, Mark Kotsay will be playing a lot of games at first again and that makes my stomach grumble and the catcher's spot is still up in the air. If this team stays healthy then they win 100 games but the offense doesn't have nearly the kind of depth the pitching staff has. Luckily, the Yankees OF doesn't look all that splendid and with the Posada/DH issue up in the air, their offense may not reach its full potential either. The Devil Dogs, on the other hand.... *sadpanda* mahalo
~Chach~
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#251 » by VinnyTheMick » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:12 pm

Saito is not going to do anything. This guy's elbow is shot.
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#252 » by studcrackers » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:21 am

well michael young is apparently demanding a trade because he doesnt want to move to 3rd base for elvis andrus. saying andrus would be an improvement over young defensively at shortstop is an understatement.

i could see this getting ugly or i could see a week before ST young begrudingly accepts the clubs offer to move to 3rd base. youngs one of my favorite players ever and i dont want to see him leave, only positive i forsee of him being traded is his ridiculous contract that could go a long way because our owner is has been pinching pennies the past 5 years
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#253 » by Basketball Jesus » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 pm

I. Love. Smoltz. Always have. Probably the most underrated Hall-of-Famer of his generation.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#254 » by studcrackers » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:22 pm

everyone loves smoltz
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#255 » by lpsevier » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:48 pm

Not as much as me.

:cry:
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,158

Post#256 » by HMFFL » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:29 pm

Lowe and the Braves have agreed to terms on a four-year, $60 million contract.
The deal is scheduled to be finalized Wednesday after Lowe takes a physical exam. Atlanta has focused on starting pitching this offseason, adding Lowe, Kenshin Kawakami and Javier Vazquez to a rotation that includes holdover Jair Jurrjens. Lowe went 14-11 with a 3.24 ERA in 211 innings last season and has started at least 32 games in seven straight years, making him one of the most durable starters in baseball. Missing out on A.J. Burnett no doubt disappointed the Braves, but they're likely better off with Lowe at two-thirds of the monetary commitment.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sport ... _lowe.html
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#257 » by craig01 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:22 am

That is a lot of dough for I guy that I'd be worried about staying healthy.

He has had a nice run of health, and maybe it continues.......but the odds are against it imo.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#258 » by sunshinekids99 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:43 pm

Lowe is a horse, he will take the ball every time he's called opon. I love the signing for the Braves.

Couple small moves.

Chris Ray-Baltimore
Alex Cora-New York Mets
Gabe Kapler- Rays
High 5
RealGM

Post#259 » by High 5 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:36 pm

Makes the starting lineup a lot more respectable. If only Huddy was there.

And, yes, Smoltz is highly lovable. Especially when he's on your team. Don't underestimate his ability, either. If he can stay relatively healthy this is a HUGE move for Boston. I'm telling you, his pitches were flat out perfect last year for as long as he could go.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#260 » by greenbeans » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:23 pm

Good to hear High5, I'm very much excited about the prospect of Smoltz in Boston. He seems like a really easy guy to root for after reading a good deal about him the past couple days. He got one hell of an ovation at the C's game I was at the other night too.

Funny to see Kapler in Tampa, like they saw Baldelli to Boston and raised us one. Good luck to Cora in NY, he's the consumate pro. With a crappy bat.

Return to The General MLB Board