The Trade/Waiver Wire/Firings/Drama Thread

Moderator: TyCobb

greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Re: The Offseason Thread 

Post#341 » by greenbeans » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:51 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:But he's probably so unbelievably bad back there and his offense would suffer if you put him back there as well. Maybe worth trying if you're a total joke of a team like the Nationals, though. I really don't know why these teams with no shot at anything don't experiment more. You've nothing to play for this season. Experiment.

Experimentation night at Nationals Park!
Willingham at catcher!
A classic game of "Show me yours I'll show you mine" during the 7th inning stretch!
People pretending to care in the stands!
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#342 » by Celtics_Champs » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:02 pm

Griffey chooses ATL.

The Seattle Times reports that Ken Griffey Jr. and the Braves have agreed to terms on a one-year contract "worth between $2 and $3 million in total compensation."

Nevermind, See below.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,079

Post#343 » by High 5 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:43 am

Sounds like the Braves are used and abused once more this offseason. If the latest reports are true anyway. I guess not much reason to believe them yet considering it was the exact same report yesterday in the Braves favor. Griffey isn't going to make or break anyone's season, but it would have been cool to have him in a Braves uniform.

Thank God we got Lowe.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#344 » by Celtics_Champs » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:09 am

Braves have had a rough off-season with players who were thought to be coming then pulled out last minute.

It's good to see Griff go back to Seattle though.
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#345 » by HCYanks » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:26 am

You guys can still go get Garret Anderson, who probably won't hit as well as Griffey, but also won't be a defensive abortion like Junior is at this point. Garret would still be by far your best outfielder.

Or you can trade for Xavier Nady. Which I suggest you do, especially if you want to overpay for him.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,040

Post#346 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:41 am

High 5 wrote:Sounds like the Braves are used and abused once more this offseason. If the latest reports are true anyway. I guess not much reason to believe them yet considering it was the exact same report yesterday in the Braves favor. Griffey isn't going to make or break anyone's season, but it would have been cool to have him in a Braves uniform.

Thank God we got Lowe.

I'm pretty down and pissed about this right now. I was excited yesterday when the breaking news about him signing with Atlanta hit the radio, I read the ajc article that he signed, and to think it never even happened.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#347 » by lpsevier » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:08 pm

Apparently Griffey was pretty pissed about our local media reporting he had already signed.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,079

Post#348 » by High 5 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:06 am

lpsevier wrote:Apparently Griffey was pretty pissed about our local media reporting he had already signed.

David O'Brien wrote:If Ken Griffey Jr. isn’t officially a Brave by the end of the day, please shoot me.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#349 » by bigboy1234 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:17 am

Braves fans should be happy Griffey didn't accept, unless you care how much money the Braves make. All he is is a side show, who brings in fans. A platoon DH isn't the greatest thing to spend money on. And if he is playing in the field (like he would have for the Braves) he is a replacement level player. Edmonds is a better option right now than Griffey. The Braves should quit messing around and trade for Rick Ankiel already.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,973

Post#350 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:27 am

So let me get this straight, its spring training and Manny is still unsigned? Wow...
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#351 » by lpsevier » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:55 pm

bigboy1234 wrote:Braves fans should be happy Griffey didn't accept, unless you care how much money the Braves make. All he is is a side show, who brings in fans. A platoon DH isn't the greatest thing to spend money on. And if he is playing in the field (like he would have for the Braves) he is a replacement level player. Edmonds is a better option right now than Griffey. The Braves should quit messing around and trade for Rick Ankiel already.

I doubt we'd lock Ankiel up long term though. So why trade for him?

I don't care about Griffey the player, but he would have put fans in the seats (I guess that really doesn't matter to me either).

I'm actually happy we are just going to give the young guys a shot.
NES 247
Freshman

Post#352 » by NES 247 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:48 pm

Manny isn't going to get multiple years b/c of the crap he pulled in Boston. Teams don't trust him, and they are right not to. If Manny wants to play this year he'll sign his one year offer from the Dodgers, shut up and play, put up his usual numbers, and try next year for the last big contract of his career.
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#353 » by HCYanks » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:24 pm

It's way more multi-faceted than that.

-The economy is affecting the behavior of much of the league.

-There was an overabundance of average to good hitting, poor fielding outfielders on the market this year. Manny's still the best hitter out of any of them, but the alternative targets took a lot of potential suitors away.

-He's on the wrong side of 35, which hurts his value a lot more than Boras likes to tell people it does. When you see players like Jason Giambi get modest contracts, it looks a lot less sensible to throw 100 million at Manny.

The idea that Manny's behavior destroyed his market value is a series of fictional events that take place entirely inside the head of an autistic child. That child's name is Dan Shaughnessy.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#354 » by craig01 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:30 pm

I think the economy is definitely a factor.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#355 » by Da Schwab » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:02 am

Bravos couldn't get Junior, so they get the "next best" thing.

After losing out to the Seattle Mariners in their Ken Griffey Jr. pursuit, the Atlanta Braves reportedly have quickly regrouped, landing veteran outfielder Garret Anderson.

Anderson, who had played his entire career for the Angels, agreed to a one-year deal worth approximately $2.5 million, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported Sunday. The newspaper reported that an official announcement is expected Monday.

Anderson, 36, is expected to form part of a left-field platoon with Matt Diaz and might bat cleanup against right-handed pitchers.

He hit .293 with 15 home runs and 84 RBIs in 145 games for the Angels last season. In 2,013 career games, the left-handed hitting Anderson has a career .296 average with 272 home runs and 1,292 RBIs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3926475
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#356 » by lpsevier » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:55 pm

So much for letting the young guys platoon.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#357 » by studcrackers » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:08 pm

well the rangers are off to a fantastic start, batted around in the 1st

and i just ordered 2 tickets to opening day, good times all around
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#358 » by Bleeding Green » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:45 am

Why are the Dodgers offering Manny 2/45 still? Haven't we established that players of his caliber are worth like 10 million a season at this point?
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#359 » by craig01 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:30 am

Bleeding Green wrote:Why are the Dodgers offering Manny 2/45 still? Haven't we established that players of his caliber are worth like 10 million a season at this point?

And it's not like he's got a lot of options either.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,880

Post#360 » by Stanford » Sun Mar 1, 2009 7:14 pm

What do you guys think about the Giants offering a third year?

Return to The General MLB Board