The Trade/Waiver Wire/Firings/Drama Thread

Moderator: TyCobb

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,158

Re: The Offseason Thread 

Post#381 » by HMFFL » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:26 pm

Atlanta traded Josh Anderson to Detroit.

Jordan Schafer’s path to possibly becoming the Braves’ opening-day center fielder got clearer Monday when the Braves traded Josh Anderson to Detroit for low-level minor league pitching prospect Rudy Darrow.

Braves general manager Frank Wren said the trade was made after team officials determined that Schafer or Gregor Blanco would get the center-field job over Anderson, 26, who was out of minor-league options and was outplayed in spring training.

http://www.ajc.com/braves/content/sport ... igers.html
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#382 » by craig01 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:15 am

greenbeans wrote:Yeah Tex, it has nothing to do with the Yankees going 10mil over what everyone else would offer, sure.

LOL
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#383 » by HMFFL » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:27 pm

1 shy of 500 homers, Tigers release DH Gary Sheffield

The Tigers released designated hitter Gary Sheffield this morning, a startling development since the team had already guaranteed him $14 million this season. It's the second-highest amount owed to a released player in club history, behind Damion Easley's $14.3 million in 2003.
Advertisement

“You’re going to pay him, one way or the other,” said club president/general manager Dave Dombrowski.

The decision is surprising from a historical perspective, because Sheffield’s next home run will be the 500th of his career.

“It’s one of those things where you move on, you know?” Sheffield said, remaining remarkably composed as he discussed the move. “I was surprised. I thought I was getting ready for the season. I never thought that I wasn’t going to be playing with the Detroit Tigers this year. It’s probably a blessing.” http://www.freep.com/article/20090331/S ... 1050/rss15
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#384 » by craig01 » Wed Apr 1, 2009 12:23 am

What is amazing is how older guys got these long term big money contracts (soon to be a thing of the past).
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#385 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Apr 1, 2009 12:42 am

Chipper just got 40 million and he's going to be 37 this season. Granted he was incredible last year, but he's 37!

Sheffield looks finished. I wouldn't give him much more than a million plus incentives. He's 40 and he's a DH. He's no better than a myriad of guys stashed away in AAA. Call up the Red Sox and swing a trade for Chris Carter or Jeff Bailey; they'll both easily outhit Sheffield this year.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#386 » by HMFFL » Wed Apr 1, 2009 2:40 am

Atlanta had to do it. Chipper didn't plan on negotiating during the regular season, so Atlanta had to lock him up, and it's just wonderful that Chipper will be playing the rest of his career with the Atlanta Braves.
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#387 » by HCYanks » Wed Apr 1, 2009 7:38 am

Chipper's contract is fine. It's pretty common for elite hitters to stay productive all the way through their thirties and Chipper's only concerns are a few minor injury issues the last few years. He's getting 50-53 million over the next four years, a bit of a gamble, but a worthwhile one to take. Compare that to Manny's 45 million over two years, and ManRam comes with horrendous outfield defense instead of solid defense at third.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#388 » by studcrackers » Wed Apr 1, 2009 6:38 pm

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

id like to kick this guy in the nuts for saying the A's have the best lineup in the division
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#389 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Apr 1, 2009 10:16 pm

It's probably true, or at least it wouldn't surprise me at all. Cust, Holliday, Giambi and a bunch of average guys. There aren't any true suckholes in the lineup. Chavez won't play much which makes 3B a bit of a suckhole, but it won't be so bad. Are you saying Texas is significantly better? Don't underestimate just how bad Andrus is offensively.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#390 » by HCYanks » Thu Apr 2, 2009 1:16 am

I love how that guy skirts around the Angels' lack of offense (calling it "versatile") and tries to apply qualifiers instead of saying it's not that good. Sportswriters try so hard to love the Angels (hence the SI pick).
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#391 » by studcrackers » Thu Apr 2, 2009 2:02 am

Bleeding Green wrote:It's probably true, or at least it wouldn't surprise me at all. Cust, Holliday, Giambi and a bunch of average guys. There aren't any true suckholes in the lineup. Chavez won't play much which makes 3B a bit of a suckhole, but it won't be so bad. Are you saying Texas is significantly better? Don't underestimate just how bad Andrus is offensively.

you honestly think they'll be able to make up 250 runs? even if andrus sucks we're still the best in the division and arguably the league, aside from the left side of the infield where do we have a below average hitter? this is assuming saltalamacchia breaks out like im thinking he will, which brings me to my next point, give us buchholz damnit!
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#392 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Apr 2, 2009 2:48 am

Catcher should be below average, 3B, SS, 1B, DH and maybe one of the OF spots don't have a high probability of being above average. Only locks I see are Kinsler, Hamilton and Cruz. And you need to fill in for Kinsler for 40 games a year and I imagine Cruz won't just be handed the starting spot even if he's awesome. Being a homer aside, you have to prepare for some suck from catcher, Chris Davis (love the power, but gotta imagine he'll be exposed big time with his inability to walk), Andrus (OMG), and Young. And who is the DH?

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the Athletics have the most improved offense and the Rangers the biggest dropoff. So yeah, I could see a 250 run swing. 2009 Andrus is like a 40 run drop from 2008 Young and 2009 Young is a decent dropoff from what 2008 Vazquez/Blalock. And losing Bradley is pretty huge.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#393 » by studcrackers » Thu Apr 2, 2009 2:54 am

cruz is starting, and id expect a byrd/murphy combo to be above average. kinsler's had some freak injuries nothing nagging. blalocks our dh, who knows how long he'll be healthy but he's been solid the last 2 years when healthy. i think davis's power will negate his low walk total
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#394 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Apr 2, 2009 2:57 am

Maybe, but Davis might also only hit like .260 when the strikeouts rack up. And Blalock is not a good DH.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#395 » by studcrackers » Thu Apr 2, 2009 3:01 am

i expect davis's average to be around .270-.290 and you can do worse than blalock, an .846 last year isnt terrible

why do you think our catching situation will be below average? not a believer in saltalamacchia?
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#396 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Apr 2, 2009 3:16 am

Not a believer in Saltalamacchia. You're right about DH; upon further inspection there are lot more **** DHs than I first thought so .846 is pretty good.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#397 » by studcrackers » Thu Apr 2, 2009 3:19 am

of course if they even think about giving andruw jones regular AB's im going to be pissed off
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#398 » by studcrackers » Thu Apr 2, 2009 10:29 pm

go to this rangers site for MOUSTACHE MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The sweet 16 is going on now.

http://www.rangerrumors.com/home-page/2 ... ck-16.html

goose gossage and the winner of steve foucault/don stanhouse will be hard to beat
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#399 » by Posey H8er » Sun Apr 5, 2009 4:02 pm

Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#400 » by Flash3 » Mon Apr 6, 2009 7:30 pm

The off-season is OVER! :party:
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.

Return to The General MLB Board