A-Rod tested positive for steroids in 03

Moderator: TyCobb

Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Re: A-Rod tested positive for steroids in 03 

Post#41 » by Flash3 » Mon Feb 9, 2009 8:32 pm

Glad he admitted to it, instead of going the Clemens route.

So, this basically shows he isn't as great of a player he has shown to be, now is it? :dontknow:
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,697

Post#42 » by nitetrain8603 » Mon Feb 9, 2009 8:41 pm

Wow he admitted to all 3 years. I'm shocked. All he had to do was say he experimented in '03 and he's home free. At least he's being truthful now.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#43 » by Bulltalk » Mon Feb 9, 2009 8:46 pm

HCYanks wrote:Bulltalk,

Why does the steroid abuse ruin it for you in a way that decades of greenie (amphetamine) abuse didn't?

I don't know. It just doesn't, though.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#44 » by BlackMamba » Mon Feb 9, 2009 9:11 pm

well, he was the golden boy and doing this, admitting he did it for 3 years kind of represents the idea of the golden boy.

so, now that he was mentioned, why not all the other players? it wouldn't be fair no to name them.
Air Canada
RealGM
And1: 7,556

Post#45 » by Air Canada » Mon Feb 9, 2009 9:30 pm

Im surprised he actually admitted it. Not saying if what he did was right or wrong but good for him though to stand up and take responsibility. Now if only Bonds could do the same...
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#46 » by Basketball Jesus » Mon Feb 9, 2009 9:55 pm

ARod was probably the second-most reviled player in baseball outside of Bonds. This does nothing but assuage the less-intelligent followers of baseball that he is, indeed, a douchebag.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,012

Post#47 » by Pharmcat » Mon Feb 9, 2009 10:08 pm

Flash3 wrote:So, this basically shows he isn't as great of a player he has shown to be, now is it? :dontknow:

i dont think so...unless it comes out and shows he did HGH or something in the last 4 years
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by Bulltalk » Mon Feb 9, 2009 10:14 pm

Basketball Jesus wrote:ARod was probably the second-most reviled player in baseball outside of Bonds. This does nothing but assuage the less-intelligent followers of baseball that he is, indeed, a douchebag.

One of our resident sports radio guys in Seattle (no AHole lover) kept playing the key parts of that Katie Couric 60 Minutes interview with ARod over and over and over again. He just couldn't get enough of it.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by Bulltalk » Mon Feb 9, 2009 10:37 pm

It seems to me that ARod didn't have much of a choice to do other than what he did, excepting, of course, merely admitting to "using" such enhancements that "one time" back in 2003 in a weak moment. If he denied completely (ala Palmiero, Clemens and Bonds) he's pretty much already guilty in everyone's eyes, so he accomplishes nothing other than being paranoid about new allegations coming out, and being more mercilessly hounded by fans and the press than he already will be. He could also be put in the position (like being called before Congress) of having to deny under oath, which could set himself up for all sorts of real legal problems.

If he played the "no comment" card (kind of like McGwire), he'd still be perceived as being guilty, and still more mercilessly hounded by fans and the press than he already will be.

If he DID play that mere "one time" card thing (the Petite plan), being the phony that everybody already perceives him to be, he would just magnify his already douchebag status.

Was he completely honest? Did he continue to do illegals after 2003? Who knows? But he probably discerned that he needed to be contrite enough to gain any kind of sympathy from the fans or the press. He probably figured that if he was contrite enough, and could contain it to this three year period, then he wouldn't look as much the PR douchebag as the others, and contain his indiscretions to just a few years of his career. So being, and over time, he probably thought he could preserve his chances for HOF considerations, as his production over the vast majority of his career could then be claimed to have been achieved enhancement free.

Then again, he might be telling the truth, too, might not have taken them beyond 2003. In either case, I think he perceived doing what he did as being in the best interests of ARod.

I did snicker when this happened. The idea that he was going to be the "good angel" that saved baseball by bringing it out from under the steroids era was kind of bugging the crap out of me, feeding it as he was, especially being the lying-sack-of-crap that he proved to be about it.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#50 » by HCYanks » Mon Feb 9, 2009 10:39 pm

Yeah, i'm missing the part where ARod was ever baseball's Golden Boy. Was it when Jeter got the ROY award because ARod just barely went over the rookie qualifications in 1995? Was it when Jeter overshadowed his Mariner years even though ARod was the superior player every year except for '99? Was it when he got unfairly bashed when he signed with the Rangers? Was it when he was unfairly bashed when he was traded to the Yankees?

All this revisionist history is a sign that people are trying way too hard to be shocked by this. I can't imagine what would happen if it came out that Jeter roided.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by Bulltalk » Mon Feb 9, 2009 10:48 pm

HCYanks wrote:Yeah, i'm missing the part where ARod was ever baseball's Golden Boy. Was it when Jeter got the ROY award because ARod just barely went over the rookie qualifications in 1995? Was it when Jeter overshadowed his Mariner years even though ARod was the superior player every year except for '99? Was it when he got unfairly bashed when he signed with the Rangers? Was it when he was unfairly bashed when he was traded to the Yankees?

All this revisionist history is a sign that people are trying way too hard to be shocked by this. I can't imagine what would happen if it came out that Jeter roided.

The "Golden Boy" thing was always WAY overdone. I think so much of it depended upon him being cast as the "post steroids" poster boy by some of baseball's troubadours. Hell, I remember reading an almost elegiacal essay by Frank DeFord that carried on about ARod in this fashion.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,611

Post#52 » by aboveAverage » Mon Feb 9, 2009 11:07 pm

I do admire ARod for admitting it right away and apologizing. I don't care that he or anyone else used steroids, I just want them to stop lying. Very classy move by ARod.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#53 » by SportsWorld » Mon Feb 9, 2009 11:10 pm

aboveAverage wrote:I do admire ARod for admitting it right away and apologizing. I don't care that he or anyone else used steroids, I just want them to stop lying. Very classy move by ARod.

+1
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,698

Post#54 » by dockingsched » Mon Feb 9, 2009 11:19 pm

Bulltalk wrote:
Basketball Jesus wrote:ARod was probably the second-most reviled player in baseball outside of Bonds. This does nothing but assuage the less-intelligent followers of baseball that he is, indeed, a douchebag.

One of our resident sports radio guys in Seattle (no AHole lover) kept playing the key parts of that Katie Couric 60 Minutes interview with ARod over and over and over again. He just couldn't get enough of it.

arod's response in this new interview to the question about whether he lied during that couric interview was quite pathetic.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#55 » by HCYanks » Mon Feb 9, 2009 11:22 pm

He claimed Selena Roberts tried to break into his apartment last week. heh.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,698

Post#56 » by dockingsched » Mon Feb 9, 2009 11:28 pm

HCYanks wrote:He claimed Selena Roberts tried to break into his apartment last week. heh.

yeah, that was interesting. said he called the police and had the citation right there with him.

of course, roberts has released a statement saying no such thing ever happened. he said, she said.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#57 » by craig01 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:23 am

A-Rod gives an apology, but probably didn't come fully clean.

He'll get a ride from this, but gets a permanent stain too.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,012

Post#58 » by Pharmcat » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:32 am

we can see a police report to see who is telling the truth
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#59 » by magicfan4life05 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:59 am

Pharmcat wrote:we can see a police report to see who is telling the truth

That's what I thought. He said he had it with him. She said no such thing happened. It should be very easy to prove.
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#60 » by Flash3 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:07 am

Pharmcat wrote:
Flash3 wrote:So, this basically shows he isn't as great of a player he has shown to be, now is it? :dontknow:

i dont think so...unless it comes out and shows he did HGH or something in the last 4 years

What did the steroids he take actually aide him in doing? What did he take and what are they supposed to do?
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.

Return to The General MLB Board