A-Rod tested positive for steroids in 03

Moderator: TyCobb

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,654

Re: A-Rod tested positive for steroids in 03 

Post#61 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:25 am

Flash3 wrote:What did the steroids he take actually aide him in doing? What did he take and what are they supposed to do?

That's always been my issue with steroids. I don't know where the benefit is.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 18,977

Post#62 » by Pharmcat » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:28 am

Flash3 wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:
Flash3 wrote:So, this basically shows he isn't as great of a player he has shown to be, now is it? :dontknow:

i dont think so...unless it comes out and shows he did HGH or something in the last 4 years

What did the steroids he take actually aide him in doing? What did he take and what are they supposed to do?

the #1 reason atheletes do steroids is to recover faster imo (other than those who just want to get jacked), i think thats the reason he did it....however, one can contend that it still wont help you catch up to a 97 mph fastball (which is true)

more than anything, with bigger bats, smaller parks, etc also have to do with increase in HR along with steroids
nesta
Sixth Man
And1: 241

Post#63 » by nesta » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:33 am

If A-Rod still wants to be in the HOF, he should become a humanitarian(donate ALOT of money to charity and maybe people will forgive him. No way will people just not take away his 2001-2003 stats during the HOF balloting procedure. Its not only about stats, look at Pete Rose.
cmavswin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 222

Post#64 » by cmavswin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:40 am

Steroids let you keep going when others have to stop. I know a guy on the ones that the athletes were on back in the late 90's. They just let him continue 4 and 5 hours latter and he has to force himself to stop. The thing is though he is only suppose to take 6 a day and he also has to force himself to keep it to that.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#65 » by Celtics_Champs » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:50 am

Props to A-Rod for coming clean.

I don't see how anyone can deny it though, after they saw what happened to Roger.

How was the interview? I didn't catch it, I'm sure ESPN will replay it over and over though.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#66 » by Flash3 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:56 am

Celtics_Champs wrote:Props to A-Rod for coming clean.

I don't see how anyone can deny it though, after they saw what happened to Roger.

How was the interview? I didn't catch it, I'm sure ESPN will replay it over and over though.

After watching his i'view a few mins ago....

Is he really coming clean and apologizing from the heart? Or, is he just sorry he actually got caught? I mean, how can you be so stupid/naive of what's going into your body? And, he kept referring to GNC over and over and kept on sidetracking the actual questions Gammons was asking him.

IDK.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by Celtics_Champs » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:04 am

Flash3 wrote:
Celtics_Champs wrote:Props to A-Rod for coming clean.

After watching his i'view a few mins ago....

Is he really coming clean and apologizing from the heart? Or, is he just sorry he actually got caught? I mean, how can you be so stupid/naive of what's going into your body? And, he kept referring to GNC over and over and kept on sidetracking the actual questions Gammons was asking him.

IDK.

Just watched some of it on espn.com. Wow, selena roberts is trash. I hope her book fails.

I thought A-Rod did very well in this interview. He admitted to it. He apologized. What else does he need to say?
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#68 » by studcrackers » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:08 am

of course he's only sorry he got caught
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#69 » by Flash3 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:10 am

Pharmcat wrote:the #1 reason atheletes do steroids is to recover faster imo (other than those who just want to get jacked), i think thats the reason he did it....however, one can contend that it still wont help you catch up to a 97 mph fastball (which is true)

more than anything, with bigger bats, smaller parks, etc also have to do with increase in HR along with steroids

The latter part of your statement is true. Plenty of ball parks are becoming "hitters parks" and less and less of "picthers parks" -- But, who's clean and who's not? How do we know he wasn't actually doing in the past 4 years, and not only until 2004? This season is going to say a lot for him and he HAS to produce with the world on his back.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,654

Post#70 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:38 am

cmavswin wrote:Steroids let you keep going when others have to stop.

So do amphetamines and they were being used long before 'roids.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#71 » by meatball sub » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:10 am

Flash3 wrote:
What did the steroids he take actually aide him in doing? What did he take and what are they supposed to do?

From what I've read he failed the test for two steroids that are commonly used by professional bodybuilders. I don't remember the names of the substances, but basically one of them gets you big and the other helps with muscle definition. All I remember is that the one that helps you get cut starts with an "M".
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#72 » by HCYanks » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:14 pm

If people are interested about how the "steroid boom" has affected--or I should say hasn't affected--league play, here are a couple good reads. They should be required reading for any aspiring sanctimonious baseball writer.

http://steroids-and-baseball.com/

http://steroids-and-baseball.com/healing-effects.shtml
wigglestrue
RealGM
And1: 170

Post#73 » by wigglestrue » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:54 pm

Bulltalk wrote:
HCYanks wrote:Bulltalk,

Why does the steroid abuse ruin it for you in a way that decades of greenie (amphetamine) abuse didn't?

I don't know. It just doesn't, though.

Does not compute.
0:01.8 A. Walker makes 3-pt shot from 28 ft (assist by E. Williams) +3 109-108
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_9qvmXiEuU
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by Celtics_Champs » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:49 pm

Wow, this could be the most useless piece of sports news I have read in awhile.

When Jamal Mashburn Hurt Selena Roberts
10th February, 2009 - 2:36 pm
New York Daily News - Selena Roberts, the reporter who broke the Alex Rodriguez steroids story, was once a beat writer that covered the New York Knicks for the New York Times.

Frank Isola of the New York Daily News recounts the 2000 playoffs when Miami's Jamal Mashburn, upset over a non-call at the end of the first half, kicked the scorer's table which slammed into Robert's shoulder. Mashburn later apologized to Roberts.

And I mean to make fun of the NYD news, not the wiretap.
cmavswin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by cmavswin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:37 pm

Celtics_Champs wrote:Wow, this could be the most useless piece of sports news I have read in awhile.

When Jamal Mashburn Hurt Selena Roberts
10th February, 2009 - 2:36 pm
New York Daily News - Selena Roberts, the reporter who broke the Alex Rodriguez steroids story, was once a beat writer that covered the New York Knicks for the New York Times.

Frank Isola of the New York Daily News recounts the 2000 playoffs when Miami's Jamal Mashburn, upset over a non-call at the end of the first half, kicked the scorer's table which slammed into Robert's shoulder. Mashburn later apologized to Roberts.

And I mean to make fun of the NYD news, not the wiretap.

Called being part of the "news" instead of reporting on it.
cmavswin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by cmavswin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:47 pm

DrugBust wrote:
cmavswin wrote:Steroids let you keep going when others have to stop.

So do amphetamines and they were being used long before 'roids.

Yes, but Steroids let you get back from injury faster and make you stronger. Does'nt matter what your taking though if you use you cheat bottom line.
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#77 » by Geddy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:25 am

So who does that leave in terms of sluggers whose names haven't popped up in any steroid discussions?

Off the top of my head:

Griffey
Thomas
Manny
Delgado
Thome
Pujols
Dunn
Howard

I sure hope we don't hear anything about them in the future. With the way things have been going I wouldn't be surprised though.
Inevitable wrote:Geddy is a good mod actually
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#78 » by sunshinekids99 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:45 pm

It's hard to tell who's clean or not. I guess it's a good sign if your name hasn't showed up anywhere yet.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,457

Post#79 » by Worm Guts » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:12 pm

DrugBust wrote:
Flash3 wrote:What did the steroids he take actually aide him in doing? What did he take and what are they supposed to do?

That's always been my issue with steroids. I don't know where the benefit is.

If you look at the coinciding jump home runs, it obviously does something.

I'm pretty sure there's a correlation between strength and how far you can hit the ball.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#80 » by Basketball Jesus » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:35 pm

Worm Guts wrote:If you look at the coinciding jump home runs, it obviously does something.

The problem with directly correlating the 90s power explosion and steroids is that there were many other factors involved, like smaller parks, juiced baseballs, a downturn in baseline pitching talent. Sure, some of those numbers are probably due to steroids, but how much is incredibly debatable.

I'm pretty sure there's a correlation between strength and how far you can hit the ball.

One of the prominent studies relating production to increased muscle mass (whether via natural or artificial means) is that an increase in muscle mass positively affects players with mechanically-sound swings more than players with bad swing mechanics. Basically if you have an inefficient swing, you’re not going to get any kind of tangible results from increasing muscle mass. Which I guess explains Jeremy Giambi.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.

Return to The General MLB Board