NFL Draft Discussion

Moderator: bwgood77

Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,208

Re: NFL Draft Discussion 

Post#321 » by Mr Swagtastic » Thu May 4, 2023 12:17 am

Can anybody tell me how Dallas gets an A or A+ draft grade? I don't get the Schoonmaker draft in the second round he felt like a 3rd+ round pick

My three clear winners are Philly/Pittsburgh (ugh) and Houston

Baltimore had a very good draft as well

Lions, Dallas, Miami and San Francisco all had questionable drafts
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,506

Post#322 » by Cactus Jack » Thu May 4, 2023 12:37 am

Mr Swagtastic wrote:Can anybody tell me how Dallas gets an A or A+ draft grade? I don't get the Schoonmaker draft in the second round he felt like a 3rd+ round pick

I thought Dallas had an okay draft. Mazi will be a solid contributor for them. But I thought they reached based on the value of the position. I wasn't really blown away by what they did for the most part.

SF took a kicker in the 3rd round. Speaks for itself.

People are killing Detriot for the Gibbs pick. But he will be an absolute stud for them. I thought he was a top 20 player (ranking).

Winners?

I liked what Arizona did.

Philly, Pittsburgh & Arizona we're my biggest winners. I also thought the Hawks had one of the better drafts. Witherspoon & JSN will be impact players.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,205

Post#323 » by LAKESHOW » Thu May 4, 2023 5:20 am

...more astute fans may have raised an eyebrow when seeing the Patriots trade back three spots with the Steelers, letting them draft the last of the four top offensive tackle prospects still sitting on the board ahead of the Jets.
Pittsburgh moved up from pick No. 17 to pick No. 14, leaping over New York at pick No. 15 to grab Georgia’s Broderick Jones.

Two front office NFL executives, in speaking with the Washington Post anonymously, believe the trade was done solely to prevent their hated AFC East division rival from acquiring a top-tier talent of need.
One general manager pointed out that the lack of compensation the Patriots received: "They should have had to give up a [third-round pick] and not a four to move up there."

“Belichick did it just to f–k the Jets. He sold low because he knew the Steelers were going to take the kid the Jets wanted to take,” added the general manager.

After trading for Aaron Rodgers in the days prior to the draft, it was widely known that the Jets coveted offensive line talent to help protect their 39-year old quarterback.
“Bill will try to screw them [the Jets] over any chance he gets,” said another NFL personnel executive to the Washington Post. “He knew exactly what he was doing.”
SI
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,359

Post#324 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu May 4, 2023 8:19 pm

No draft grades for the AFC West?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#325 » by Cactus Jack » Fri May 5, 2023 2:02 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:No draft grades for the AFC West?

Read on Twitter

I like the Felix pick. He'll be a solid rotational pass rusher for them.

Rice was not all that impressive on film honestly. Too many drops. He ran a 4.5. So he's not a burner. He's a contested catch guy, who struggled with drops. There's a long list of guys with that profile who have underwhelmed. I don't see it.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#326 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri May 5, 2023 2:42 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

Read on Twitter

Rice was not all that impressive on film honestly. Too many drops. He ran a 4.5. So he's not a burner. He's a contested catch guy, who struggled with drops. There's a long list of guys with that profile who have underwhelmed. I don't see it.

I love the Felix and especially the Morris pick. He's a gem. All but two picks went on the defensive side of the ball which I kinda expected. Chiefs still loaded and really didn't need to hit on much. Looks like MVS, Kadarius Toney and Skyy Moore will be the big cheeses this upcoming season. Not a fan of MVS so I can only hope for something else to develop.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,191

Post#327 » by Micah Prescott » Mon May 8, 2023 3:37 pm

The teams that "win the draft" are the teams that find gems in the late rounds which is extremely difficult to predict and also requires a high element of luck.

The teams that lose the draft are the ones that drafted busts in the 1st round which is much easier to predict. You have to make sure you secure a solid contributor in the 1st.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#328 » by Cactus Jack » Mon May 8, 2023 6:39 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:The teams that "win the draft" are the teams that find gems in the late rounds which is extremely difficult to predict and also requires a high element of luck.

The teams that lose the draft are the ones that drafted busts in the 1st round which is much easier to predict. You have to make sure you secure a solid contributor in the 1st.

A successful draft is getting 3 or more long-term starters out of it. Hitting on as many as 4 or 5 guys, is great value.

Fwiw, the Hawks got two starting Tackles last year (Cross & Lucas), in Rounds 1 & 3. Kenneth Walker was very productive (2nd round) & had over 1,000 scrimmage yards. They also hit on Tariq Woolen in the 5th round & he made the Pro Bowl as a rookie CB. That's four impact starters in year one. Which doesn't always happen. But when it does, it will set you up for success. The Jets also had a great draft.

If you whiff on a guy in the 1st round, then you better hit on your other picks.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,191

Post#329 » by Micah Prescott » Mon May 8, 2023 8:39 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:The teams that "win the draft" are the teams that find gems in the late rounds which is extremely difficult to predict and also requires a high element of luck.

A successful draft is getting 3 or more long-term starters out of it. Hitting on as many as 4 or 5 guys, is great value.

Fwiw, the Hawks got two starting Tackles last year (Cross & Lucas), in Rounds 1 & 3. Kenneth Walker was very productive (2nd round) & had over 1,000 scrimmage yards. They also hit on Tariq Woolen in the 5th round & he made the Pro Bowl as a rookie CB. That's four impact starters in year one. Which doesn't always happen. But when it does, it will set you up for success. The Jets also had a great draft.

If you whiff on a guy in the 1st round, then you better hit on your other picks.

Yeah I'd say that is a fair take. There are so many "kinda hit" players that are solid contributors for a few years and then fizzle out or leave the team as FAs. Most of the time it isn't a case of boom or bust. Pretty much every 1st round pick will be a starter, they have to hit long term like you said.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#330 » by Cactus Jack » Mon May 8, 2023 9:14 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Yeah I'd say that is a fair take. There are so many "kinda hit" players that are solid contributors for a few years and then fizzle out or leave the team as FAs. Most of the time it isn't a case of boom or bust. Pretty much every 1st round pick will be a starter, they have to hit long term like you said.

Sometimes it is boom or bust though.

In 2019, the Hawks took LJ Collier in the 1st. He was considered a reach & didn't start for the team. So he was a bust in those terms. But they also grabbed arguably the biggest steal of that draft, by taking Metcalf in the 2nd round. They only got two starters essentially. So it wasn't a great draft overall for them. But they still got a stud in DK.

Their biggest bust was Malik McDowell, who they took in the 2nd round. He never played. Because he crashed an ATV & had more red flags than Jalen Carter off the field. The team eventually let him go & he ended up behind bars.
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,537

Post#331 » by righterwriter » Tue May 9, 2023 6:36 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:Can anybody tell me how Dallas gets an A or A+ draft grade? I don't get the Schoonmaker draft in the second round he felt like a 3rd+ round pick

SF took a kicker in the 3rd round. Speaks for itself.

How do you figure? If he ends up being even just a decent, dependable kicker, the team has him on a 4yr/$5.3M deal, where most dependable kickers are paid around 4 years/$20M.

People want to say that the third round was too soon, but to be fair it was the very end of the third (pick 99), and in the fourth round (13 picks later) the Patriots took a kicker. So waiting until later would've prevented the 49ers from getting the kicker they wanted.

Seeing that the team has virtually no holes, getting a kicker that they believe can be great and filling a huge hole makes sense. Seeing that the FO has put together likely the most talented roster in the league (perhaps alongside Philly), I find it interesting that some fans like to immediately judge their picks as bad.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#332 » by Cactus Jack » Tue May 9, 2023 7:22 am

It was bad.

I don't care how good he is. A kicker in the 3rd round is poor value.

He better make the HOF, to justify that pick. :wink:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#333 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue May 9, 2023 4:22 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

Read on Twitter

Chiefs will be making Kadarious Toney their #1 WR going into next season. They got their first round WR last year when they made that trade with the Giants. Showtime will make Toney a huge sleeper pick in fantasy drafts this summer along with Skyy Moore. Rice will be a developmental project for Andy.
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,537

Post#334 » by righterwriter » Tue May 9, 2023 4:41 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:It was bad.

I don't care how good he is. A kicker in the 3rd round is poor value.

He better make the HOF, to justify that pick. :wink:

I think a kicker who can win a SB contender games, especially when their offense is built at its core around running the ball and playing defense, is extraordinarily important. If you can game the system so you aren't paying $5M+ per year for that player, but can use the extra $3.5M/yr to sign other players, then its a win.

It all depends on how he performs, of course, but if he's at least as good as Robbie Gould then they got a player at a position of need in the third round that is hard to come by in terms of objective value.
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#335 » by LAKESHOW » Wed May 10, 2023 1:48 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Read on Twitter

Chiefs will be making Kadarious Toney their #1 WR going into next season. They got their first round WR last year when they made that trade with the Giants. Showtime will make Toney a huge sleeper pick in fantasy drafts this summer along with Skyy Moore. Rice will be a developmental project for Andy.

Dunno how good the Charger receiver is going to be as a Pro. But from what I seen from his play at TCU, this dude was off the charts explosive
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#336 » by Cactus Jack » Wed May 10, 2023 2:06 am

LAKESHOW wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dunno how good the Charger receiver is going to be as a Pro. But from what I seen from his play at TCU, this dude was off the charts explosive

I thought the pick was a little redundant with Mike Williams. He was my 3rd receiver.
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#337 » by LAKESHOW » Wed May 10, 2023 3:06 am

Yes it was. But now they are stacked at the receiver position, huge arsenal line-up for Herbert
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,730

Post#338 » by DOT » Thu May 11, 2023 7:14 pm

The issue is that Johnston is more of a RAC guy despite his body type

So he's not gonna fix their issue of not having a speedy deep threat for Herbert to take the top off of defenses, which was the issue for them last year

Johnston is a very good receiver, and has a lot of potential, but he's very raw in everything before the catch.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#339 » by Cactus Jack » Thu May 11, 2023 9:20 pm

DOT wrote:The issue is that Johnston is more of a RAC guy despite his body type

So he's not gonna fix their issue of not having a speedy deep threat for Herbert to take the top off of defenses, which was the issue for them last year

Johnston is a very good receiver, and has a lot of potential, but he's very raw in everything before the catch.

The biggest issue with QJ is that he's a body catcher. I liked, but didn't love him as a prospect.

He's really good after the catch.

I thought Zay Flowers would be a perfect fit there. Both he & JSN we're my top 2 guys.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,804

Post#340 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sat May 13, 2023 12:16 am

Return to The General NFL Board