Is Bill Belichick overrated as a coach ?

Moderator: bwgood77

Lexluthor
Rookie
And1: 407

Is Bill Belichick overrated as a coach ? 

Post#1 » by Lexluthor » Sun Oct 1, 2023 11:59 pm

Ever since Tom Brady left the patriots have gone back to be a irrelevant franchise.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,485

Re: Is Bill Belichick overrated as a coach ? 

Post#2 » by azcatz11 » Mon Oct 2, 2023 12:41 am

No
QB_Eagles
Rookie
And1: 332

Post#3 » by QB_Eagles » Mon Oct 2, 2023 12:56 am

Coaching in general is overrated. You will notice atrocious and great coaching respectively but it doesn't make as much of a difference as the talent of the roster. And the talent on the Patriots roster is below average. Andy Reid for example turned Alex Smith into a Top 10 QB but it still wasn't enough to win anything in the playoffs.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,510

Post#4 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Oct 2, 2023 12:57 am

Bill is a good coach. But you can't win at that level without the talent. There's a reason Brady is considered the GOAT.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,201

Post#5 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Oct 2, 2023 1:16 am

Football is when all the right pieces magically come together. 1 good player can't win alone. 1 good coach can't win alone. And with a one and done format there is also a luck factor. And both Brady and Belichick had tons of good luck. From the tuck rule, to Pete Carroll throwing it on the goal instead of just giving it to Lynch. Everything came together for that dynasty.

Unlike basketball where you get a 7 game serious to rule out luck. And just one MJ or LeBron or Shaq can almost win it all alone. Almost anyway.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,208

Post#6 » by Mr Swagtastic » Mon Oct 2, 2023 1:21 am

Both Brady and Bill Belichick were at the right place at the right time. They both helped each other be the goat at their respective positions.

I still think Bill Belichick is probably in the top two or three coaches currently in the league. There's maybe two or three guys you say are better now I think Andy Reid and Kyle Shanahan are the obvious 2 that their respective teams say no to a coach swap. Maybe I could see Baltimore saying no to swapping Bill Belichick for Jim Harbaugh or The Rams with McVay but you got to have some serious stones to pass on Bill as your Head Coach
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,510

Post#7 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Oct 2, 2023 1:47 am

Mr Swagtastic wrote:Both Brady and Bill Belichick were at the right place at the right time. They both helped each other be the goat at their respective positions.

I still think Bill Belichick is probably in the top two or three coaches currently in the league. There's maybe two or three guys you say are better now I think Andy Reid and Kyle Shanahan are the obvious 2 that their respective teams say no to a coach swap. Maybe I could see Baltimore saying no to swapping Bill Belichick for Jim Harbaugh or The Rams with McVay but you got to have some serious stones to pass on Bill as your Head Coach

Bill the coach is great. Bill the gm, not so much.

Bill is a great defensive mind. But he runs the show in New England & the roster has suffered because of it.

Carroll isn't perfect. But I'd still take him over Bill.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,537

Post#8 » by righterwriter » Mon Oct 2, 2023 6:12 am

He's been a great coach throughout his career. A large part of that is being able to find great players that fit into his system. And of course, having Tom Brady at QB for 18 seasons makes your job much, much easier. It allows you to put in fairly random guys in at the offensive skill positions and still have a lot of success.

Since Brady left, BB has largely not hit on players in the draft and free agency. With Mac Jones at QB instead of Brady, you can't get away with making personnel mistakes. He's also made things harder by making boneheaded hires, which we all know about.

I think he may just have lost his edge. The guy is 71 years old. NFL head coaches need to work 60+ hour weeks and his being GM is an all-year job, so it might just be too much for him now.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#9 » by El Turco » Mon Oct 2, 2023 7:16 pm

Bill is a defensive minded coach. Maybe the best ever in that aspect. But it is very difficult to be a defensive minded head coach nowadays. Belichick, Tomlin, Carroll are all struggling to adjust to modern football.

Meanwhile offensive geniuses like Reid, Mcvay, Shanahan not only killing it themselves but have built very good coaching trees.

I think excluding Bill, you have to go back to 2015 to find a defensive coach in a super bowl
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,205

Post#10 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Oct 2, 2023 11:57 pm

His defensive schemes was being used by buffalo to defeat Miami. So he is a very good tactician and schematic coach. He deals with the media in a very secretive way, not revealing anything. Hes had success beyond and outside of new England. If fired at the end of the season, he would be immediately picked up and hired next season. Faults yes, but better than many others
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Yoshun
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,749

Post#11 » by Yoshun » Wed Oct 4, 2023 2:15 am

This thread is interesting to me because, on paper, this team should be getting blown out every week.

Which, I guess, is partially his fault.
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,684

Post#12 » by GeorgeSears » Wed Oct 4, 2023 2:25 am

Great coach, but his biggest mistake was not swallowing his pride and tanking one of these last 4 seasons to get in line for a top QB.

Mac Jones is a disastrous QB.
QB_Eagles
Rookie
And1: 332

Post#13 » by QB_Eagles » Wed Oct 4, 2023 10:51 am

GeorgeSears wrote:Great coach, but his biggest mistake was not swallowing his pride and tanking one of these last 4 seasons to get in line for a top QB.

Mac Jones is a disastrous QB.

Lots of busts among those "top QBs" in the last drafts though.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,340

Post#14 » by wco81 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 6:05 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Bill is a good coach. But you can't win at that level without the talent. There's a reason Brady is considered the GOAT.

Who has ultimate say in player personnel decisions for the Patriots, besides the owner who writes the checks?
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,193

Post#15 » by therealbig3 » Mon Oct 9, 2023 6:53 am

Maybe not as a coach, because he is great and maximizes what he has very well…but he’s legitimately an awful GM given the track record and how many busts he’s drafted, and that’s really the issue here. I mean, whose fault is it when a team has no talent?

His failure with regards to personnel decisions just kept getting covered up by Brady, and now that he’s gone, there’s no covering for it anymore.
makubesu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,819

Post#16 » by makubesu » Mon Oct 9, 2023 12:53 pm

The greatest coach of all time.

As a GM? That depends. Six Super Bowl, decades of dominance, but how much of that was Tom Brady? So if we’re counting the players he drafted: greatest GM of all time. But if we are not counting the players he drafted: terrible.

Return to The General NFL Board