Is Travis Kelce the best TE of all time?

Moderator: bwgood77

SurfAndTurf
Freshman
And1: 17

Re: Is Travis Kelce the best TE of all time? 

Post#21 » by SurfAndTurf » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:22 pm

If Kellen Winslow played in the modern day NFL he’d be considered the best ever . He was the best I ever watched .
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#22 » by El Turco » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:48 pm

El Turco wrote:no but he may be a top 100 wide receiver

give me gronk

maybe top 50 receiver, but he still isnt a tight end
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,200

Post#23 » by RaoulDuke79 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:49 pm

SurfAndTurf wrote:If Kellen Winslow played in the modern day NFL he’d be considered the best ever . He was the best I ever watched .

Junior was an okay player as well..too be he's also a rapist.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
QB_Eagles
Rookie
And1: 332

Post#24 » by QB_Eagles » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:46 pm

Kelce is a system TE.

Ben Coates is 1 reception away from having the best career stats of all time.

Receptions: 499
Yards: 5555
Touchdowns: 50
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#25 » by WentzerWuver » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:41 pm

SurfAndTurf wrote:If Kellen Winslow played in the modern day NFL he’d be considered the best ever . He was the best I ever watched .
He was one of the best ever back then but not sure with today's rules but doubt Kelce has the resilient or physical strenght to absorb the type of pounding during the 80s with less safety measures while wearing crap protective gear. Helmet to helmet blows were legal back then.

https://youtube.com/shorts/K-yYxENjtig?si=CFE-Sezq9exO9VGG

https://youtu.be/hKPXD0AaCj8?si=fgO5OPrylVY0OPIN
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,581

Post#26 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Feb 5, 2024 8:12 am

I think Gonzalez doing it without Reid and Mahomes is more impressive.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,204

Post#27 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Feb 5, 2024 9:15 pm

I'll go gronk. But it's an outstanding Duo. Who would you rather have? Brady Gronk? Mahomes Kelce? Can't go wrong either way. But I'll go Gronk. Dudes would literally Knee cap this guy every game. Surprised he can still walk
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,150

Post#28 » by Mr B » Mon Feb 5, 2024 11:29 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:I think Gonzalez doing it without Reid and Mahomes is more impressive.

I agree. Gonzalez got most of his numbers with Dick Vermeil and Trent Green. Not terrible but definitely not on the same level as Reid/Mahomes or Belichick/Brady.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,610

Post#29 » by Worm Guts » Tue Feb 6, 2024 6:33 pm

Mr B wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:I think Gonzalez doing it without Reid and Mahomes is more impressive.

I agree. Gonzalez got most of his numbers with Dick Vermeil and Trent Green. Not terrible but definitely not on the same level as Reid/Mahomes or Belichick/Brady.

I don't know if I'd phrase it that way. Gonzalez was with Green and Vermeil for 5 seasons out of a 17 year career and had 1,000 yard seasons both before and after.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#30 » by Mr B » Tue Feb 6, 2024 8:38 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I don't know if I'd phrase it that way. Gonzalez was with Green and Vermeil for 5 seasons out of a 17 year career and had 1,000 yard seasons both before and after.

That actually only proves my point. Vermeil/Green were the best HC/QB combo he played with. Before them it was Herm Edwards and Elvis Grbac.
QB_Eagles
Rookie
And1: 332

Post#31 » by QB_Eagles » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:13 pm

Seriously though, I rank him similar to Antonio Gates.
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,104

Post#32 » by SkyHookFTW » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:24 pm

Gronk is the best TE I have ever seen. For most of his career his team had very average WR's, so Gronk was often the focus of the other team's defense. He still came through. Gonzalez's teams generally had better WR's and RB's to scheme for. Of course, Gronk had Brady and more consistent coaching, but TG had some good QB's too.
"It's scarier than Charles Barkley at an all you can eat buffet." --Shaq on Shark Week
"My secret to getting rebounds? It's called go get the damn ball." --Charles Barkley
Mr B
RealGM

Post#33 » by Mr B » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:34 pm

SkyHookFTW wrote:Gronk is the best TE I have ever seen. For most of his career his team had very average WR's, so Gronk was often the focus of the other team's defense. He still came through. Gonzalez's teams generally had better WR's and RB's to scheme for. Of course, Gronk had Brady and more consistent coaching, but TG had some good QB's too.

These are the QB’s Tony Gonzalez played with

KC = Rich Gannon, Elvis Grbac Warren Moon, Trent Green, Damon Huard, Brodie Croyle, Tyler Thigpen

ATL = Matt Ryan
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,384

Post#34 » by ItsDanger » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:28 pm

Gronk is way better. Why? Blocking.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,104

Post#35 » by SkyHookFTW » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:31 pm

Mr B wrote:
SkyHookFTW wrote:Gronk is the best TE I have ever seen. For most of his career his team had very average WR's, so Gronk was often the focus of the other team's defense. He still came through. Gonzalez's teams generally had better WR's and RB's to scheme for. Of course, Gronk had Brady and more consistent coaching, but TG had some good QB's too.

KC = Rich Gannon, Elvis Grbac Warren Moon, Trent Green, Damon Huard, Brodie Croyle, Tyler Thigpen

ATL = Matt Ryan

Gannon, 4x pro bowl, 2x all-pro, Green 2x pro bowl before injuries ended his career in his prime, Ryan will be in the HoF, Moon only played three games in two years--one as a starter--as a Chief at the end of his career, doesn't really count. Ryan and TG played five years together. Ryan was Offensive RoY and made 2 pro bowls, while over the same time span TG made four pro bowls and one all pro. Let's not act like TG had all garbage QB's.
"It's scarier than Charles Barkley at an all you can eat buffet." --Shaq on Shark Week
"My secret to getting rebounds? It's called go get the damn ball." --Charles Barkley
Mr B
RealGM

Post#36 » by Mr B » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:13 am

SkyHookFTW wrote:
Mr B wrote:

ATL = Matt Ryan

Gannon, 4x pro bowl, 2x all-pro, Green 2x pro bowl before injuries ended his career in his prime, Ryan will be in the HoF, Moon only played three games in two years--one as a starter--as a Chief at the end of his career, doesn't really count. Ryan and TG played five years together. Ryan was Offensive RoY and made 2 pro bowls, while over the same time span TG made four pro bowls and one all pro. Let's not act like TG had all garbage QB's.

Go look at when Gannon got those pro bowls, it wasn’t in Kansas City. Gannon was a career journeyman. His career didn’t take off until after he left KC. Trent Green and Matt Ryan were the best QB’s Gonzalez played with. Still neither was Tom Brady who Gronk had throwing to him.
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,241

Post#37 » by Wallace_Wallace » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:38 pm

I rather have a tight end in Travis Kelce who can make plays clutch plays for me. Call him a slot WR all you want, when a yard was needed on a 4th down conversion in OT (do or die situation), who was trusted to block for a Mahomes option in order to get that first down? Did George Kittle played a great game a couple days ago cause he blocked really well? How about other TEs like Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez? They were great regular season players, but averaged around 50 yards a game in the postseason......were they stonewalling DEs like Dwight Freeney, Terrell Suggs, Jason Taylor, Jared Allen or Kyle Vanden Bosch? Lastly, how hard is it to block a linebacker for Tom Brady when the Patriots had one of the best o-lines in football year in and year out?

Who were some of Gronk's teammates who had thousand yard seasons? Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Brandin Cooks, Mike Evans
What about teammates above 750 in a season? The murderer, Brandon Lloyd, Brandon LaFell, Chris Godwin

Travis Kelce's teammates with thousand yard seasons: Tyreek Hill, Jeremy Maclin
750 yard seasons: Dwayne Bowe, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Rashee Rice

Looks to me that Gronk had better teammates as receivers. Fun fact, Martellus Bennett had a solid season with Tom Brady (700 yard with 7 TDs) in 2016 when Gronk was hurt for half a season. Give me the player who performs regardless of his teammates and doesn't fake retire when things don't go his way.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#38 » by Mr B » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:23 am

Wallace_Wallace wrote:I rather have a tight end in Travis Kelce who can make plays clutch plays for me. Call him a slot WR all you want, when a yard was needed on a 4th down conversion in OT (do or die situation), who was trusted to block for a Mahomes option in order to get that first down? Did George Kittle played a great game a couple days ago cause he blocked really well? How about other TEs like Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez? They were great regular season players, but averaged around 50 yards a game in the postseason......were they stonewalling DEs like Dwight Freeney, Terrell Suggs, Jason Taylor, Jared Allen or Kyle Vanden Bosch? Lastly, how hard is it to block a linebacker for Tom Brady when the Patriots had one of the best o-lines in football year in and year out?

Who were some of Gronk's teammates who had thousand yard seasons? Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Brandin Cooks, Mike Evans
What about teammates above 750 in a season? The murderer, Brandon Lloyd, Brandon LaFell, Chris Godwin

Travis Kelce's teammates with thousand yard seasons: Tyreek Hill, Jeremy Maclin
750 yard seasons: Dwayne Bowe, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Rashee Rice

Looks to me that Gronk had better teammates as receivers. Fun fact, Martellus Bennett had a solid season with Tom Brady (700 yard with 7 TDs) in 2016 when Gronk was hurt for half a season. Give me the player who performs regardless of his teammates and doesn't fake retire when things don't go his way.

Even though I think Tony Gonzalez is the best TE all time I would personally prefer a TE that plays like Kelce. I like TE’s that are as good at blocking as they are at catching passes. You don’t have to be a game breaker to be a good TE. Be consistent, move the chains be a good blocker, and make the occasional big play.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#39 » by El Turco » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:49 pm

Kelce blocks? :lol: :lol: :lol:
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,715

Post#40 » by DOT » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:12 pm

He isn't the best, but he is the greatest

Like how Brady isn't the best QB to ever play the game by raw talent, but he's still the greatest due to accomplishments.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe

Return to The General NFL Board