Free Agency !!!!

Moderator: bwgood77

last stand
Sixth Man
And1: 327

Re: Free Agency !!!! 

Post#21 » by last stand » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:31 am

I just want the eagles to sign one of the 6,000 safeties under the age of 27 available
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,161

Post#22 » by Mr B » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:37 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:There are also 2 players that I really want them to draft (Jackson Powers-Johnson) and one is the 1-tech DT from Texas T’Vondre Sweat.

I love all your picks and thoughts so far. I guess we are in total agreement here. :bowdown: :thumbsup: :love:

So, does this mean that you've given up on Mazi completely?? You're going to use another high pick on a NT?

Sweat will be available in the 2nd round.

At this point, I think it's unlikely that JPJ will last.

No I wouldn’t give up on Mazi. He needs to add his weight back though. Right now we know nothing about Mazi. T’Vondre Sweat is a monster though. The Cowboys NEED a huge run stopping 1-tech and if Sweat is there they need to take him. He would fill a HUGE need. If Mazi turns out to be good too then even better, they would have a nice rotation there.

And I agree about JPJ. He will be long gone by pick 24. Graham Barton could be an option at Center.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#23 » by Mr B » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:01 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I love all your picks and thoughts so far. I guess we are in total agreement here. :bowdown: :thumbsup: :love:

So, does this mean that you've given up on Mazi completely?? You're going to use another high pick on a NT?

Sweat will be available in the 2nd round.

At this point, I think it's unlikely that JPJ will last.

I won't comment on Mazi Smith or Schoonmaker till after next season. I cut the rookies some slack their first year. But if Mazi doesn't show me a lot more this upcoming season I will have egg on my face on that one. I saw Sweat play all year. I like him a lot. I also want an LB and like Mr. b. I want another O-lineman. Call me old fashion. I like controlling the line of scrimmage. The Dallas defense didn't control crap once the injury bug started. I've been bitching about lack of depth at LB and DT for over a decade.

I really think Schoonmaker is going to blossom next year. He’s already the best blocking TE but I think he’s really going to step up as a receiver. If he does they will likely be using a lot of 2 TE sets. That should really help the running game too.

The Cowboys really need to decide what they are going to do with Tyler Smith too. If he stays at LG the Cowboys will need a tackle. If that happens then I would look at drafting one of Tyler Guyton, Amarius Mims, or Jordan Morgan.

If they move Tyler to tackle then I would look at drafting Troy Fautanu or Graham Barton.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#24 » by Mr B » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:04 am

last stand wrote:I just want the eagles to sign one of the 6,000 safeties under the age of 27 available

I would not be surprised if they sign Jayron Kearse. He’s not under 27 but can still play (in spite of having a down season). He’d be cheap if anything.
last stand
Sixth Man
And1: 327

Post#25 » by last stand » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:02 pm

Mr B wrote:
last stand wrote:I just want the eagles to sign one of the 6,000 safeties under the age of 27 available

I would not be surprised if they sign Jayron Kearse. He’s not under 27 but can still play (in spite of having a down season). He’d be cheap if anything.

Nah too many guys 24-27 years old to do that. I think I counted 13 guys in that area that are legitimate starters

That’s not even counting the pie in the sky Winfield jr.
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,695

Post#26 » by GeorgeSears » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:54 pm

Some team is probably going to be dumb enough and sign Saquon Barkley to big money, despite the fact that his best years are behind.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,203

Post#27 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:01 pm

GeorgeSears wrote:Some team is probably going to be dumb enough and sign Saquon Barkley to big money, despite the fact that his best years are behind.

I'd take him for 2 years in Dallas, not for "big money" though I agree that's dumb.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#28 » by Mr B » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:04 pm

GeorgeSears wrote:Some team is probably going to be dumb enough and sign Saquon Barkley to big money, despite the fact that his best years are behind.

I think he could be serviceable in a tandem role (for a lot less money). He doesn’t have the health history to be a lead back anymore. If he can get on a team where he shares carries it would save a lot of wear and tear on his body.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#29 » by Mr B » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:06 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:

I'd take him for 2 years in Dallas, not for "big money" though I agree that's dumb.

I wouldn’t mind Barkley coming to Dallas as long as he signs cheap and they also draft a big back like Braelon Allen out of Wisconsin.
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,695

Post#30 » by GeorgeSears » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:39 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:

Has to be an incentive laden deal like Todd Gurley's in Atlanta: $5M plus incentives.
QB_Eagles
Rookie
And1: 332

Post#31 » by QB_Eagles » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:44 pm

I hope the Eagles sign some free agents who outperform their one-year contracts. :nod:
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,203

Post#32 » by RaoulDuke79 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:01 am

GeorgeSears wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:

Has to be an incentive laden deal like Todd Gurley's in Atlanta: $5M plus incentives.

Seen a lot of Texans fans wanting him and speculating he will end up here.

As long as it's for a reasonable deal I'm fine with it. I want to see them really beef up the defense though more than anything.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#33 » by Mr B » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:39 pm

$30M increase in the cap from last year is pretty huge.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=3KaI_3QT7XTTm5N8gt4yQg
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,511

Post#34 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:47 pm

Yet teams like the Saints & Cowboys are still over the cap.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#35 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:37 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Mr B
RealGM

Post#36 » by Mr B » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:18 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Yet teams like the Saints & Cowboys are still over the cap.

Spoiler:

For now that’s true. They could easily get under the cap even without extending Dak. Obviously though including Dak’s extension they would have even more cap space.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#37 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:52 pm

Is Dak getting his extension this off-season you think?

It's funny how a team like the Saints works around the cap. They keep kicking the can & yet somehow make it work.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#38 » by Mr B » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:38 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Spoiler:

For now that’s true. They could easily get under the cap even without extending Dak. Obviously though including Dak’s extension they would have even more cap space.

It's funny how a team like the Saints works around the cap. They keep kicking the can & yet somehow make it work.

Yea I think they are going to give Dak the extension. I’ve already been hearing people say the contract will be $175M for 3 years. Dak wants the contract to be short enough for him to get another huge deal. Even though I wouldn’t do it i think they feel they have to do it.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#39 » by Mr B » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:03 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Spoiler:

Here is an article that explains where the Cowboys are with Dak and his contract. The Cowboys basically have 3 options.

1. They can give him the extension which would give them $20M in cap space.

2. Don’t extend him and eat the huge cap hit. Get completely off Dak and allow him to hit free agency.

3. His current contract has 2 voided years at the end of it. The Cowboys can convert his salary into a signing bonus and push that money to one of the voided years. They would still get the cap hit to whichever year they move the money to but they’ll cross that bridge when they get to it. In this scenario Dak still becomes a free agent. The Cowboys also get $18M in cap space. This would be because Jerry doesn’t think he’s going to live much longer.
Mariner
Senior
And1: 108

Post#40 » by Mariner » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:08 am

Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:For now that’s true. They could easily get under the cap even without extending Dak. Obviously though including Dak’s extension they would have even more cap space.

Here is an article that explains where the Cowboys are with Dak and his contract. The Cowboys basically have 3 options.

1. They can give him the extension which would give them $20M in cap space.

2. Don’t extend him and eat the huge cap hit. Get completely off Dak and allow him to hit free agency.

3. His current contract has 2 voided years at the end of it. The Cowboys can convert his salary into a signing bonus and push that money to one of the voided years. They would still get the cap hit to whichever year they move the money to but they’ll cross that bridge when they get to it. In this scenario Dak still becomes a free agent. The Cowboys also get $18M in cap space. This would be because Jerry doesn’t think he’s going to live much longer.

The third option isn’t that bad. We defer the cap charge to help this year but also don’t commit anymore money to him.

Return to The General NFL Board