Week 9 Thread

Moderator: bwgood77

last stand
Sixth Man
And1: 327

Re: Week 9 Thread 

Post#301 » by last stand » Mon Nov 6, 2023 4:35 pm

Jaydubb wrote:
Mamba42 wrote:Scrolling through Reddit today and I saw something I haven't seen before: pretty much all the fans in the main NFL subreddit agreeing that the Cowboys were screwed by the refs. When fans of other teams are on the Cowboys side, you know it's bad.

The holding call on the big run for Dallas that clearly wasn't a hold, the phantom PI, the lack of holding calls on Philly, picking up the clear illegal hands to the face flag for no reason at all, Schoonmaker tackled before the ball even got to him on the play where he almost had the TD called, Dak verifying with the ref that Edoga was eligible and then them throwing the flag anyway, etc. Even Greg Olsen of all people was pretty flabbergasted by the calls. The refs were forced to throw some flags at the end on Philly for some really obvious penalties (even though, again, they picked up another obvious one that made Olsen stop mid-sentence lol). Man, what a **** show that was.

Cowboys had a chance to win the game at the end and choked it away, but it looks like the Eagles have now entered Chiefs territory where they amazingly get all the calls their way on a weekly basis (remember the game against Miami where the Eagles didn't have a single penalty? Crazy.)

I don't know if it's gambling or what but NFL refs have really become the worst of the worst across professional sports.

I was praying that the cowboys wouldn’t have any injuries because I just knew that you would blame that for the loss. But now that the eagles were clearly the ones plagued by multiple injuries, you couldn’t pull that excuse out regardless of you saying in previous threads that you just talk about the injuries as they happen (you forgot to talk about the multitude of injuries in this game for some reason). Now, you resort to blaming the refs. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

Whether the eagles play the cowboys or the cardinals the response in here is clearly going to be

Well the opposition was missing 3 starters
The refs are clearly on the eagles side

It’s like clockwork

I mean we’ve heard it 9 times so far. Win or loss it’s clearly the way the eagles will be talked about from the cowboys fans

Even the jets game was “woah the eagles lost to the jets without sauce Gardner!”

It’s like boy who cried wolf at this point.
last stand
Sixth Man

Post#302 » by last stand » Mon Nov 6, 2023 4:44 pm

Jaydubb wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Philly had the refs calls, not Dallas

LOL, Dallas's entire drive was basically all penalties.

For some weird reason this fact is lost among some cowboy fans.. They got like 60 yards in penalties alone on that last drive. What more do you need..?lol

If it wasn’t for the eagles DL killing the cowboys OL on the last 3-4 plays of the game, I guarantee the eagles lose. Refs didn’t help the eagles there, it was just the eagles DL playing better football when it matters most.

Even then it’s like they just see the eagles through the cowboys prism. They can’t see past that. I actually thought the cowboys played very well yesterday. The only call I thought was properly bad was the AJ brown PI

I thought it was illegal contact moreso than anything.

But like the cowboys played great. But I didn’t even care to come in here and post that because i knew it was just going to be

Refs screwed us
Something something injuries
It was a good loss because we proved we’re close to the eagles

Yeah it’s a division game. Eagles just got taken to the brink by the commanders. Dak plays his absolute best against philly. He’s like 7-2 in their last 9.

They will never concede a loss except for a select few so for me it’s like who cares what they think. As a fan I hope this continues because it means the eagles are continuing to win. I don’t want it to stop, it stopping would probably be bad.

Like Mr. B in 2020 and 2021 with the “you guys have some good pieces” “I like jalen hurts” “you guys aren’t that bad”

That’s worse in my book lol

Here’s to hoping the complaining continues all the way through February. That’s the dream here
Jaydubb
Rookie
And1: 353

Post#303 » by Jaydubb » Mon Nov 6, 2023 4:51 pm

last stand wrote:
Jaydubb wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:
LOL, Dallas's entire drive was basically all penalties.

For some weird reason this fact is lost among some cowboy fans.. They got like 60 yards in penalties alone on that last drive. What more do you need..?lol

If it wasn’t for the eagles DL killing the cowboys OL on the last 3-4 plays of the game, I guarantee the eagles lose. Refs didn’t help the eagles there, it was just the eagles DL playing better football when it matters most.

Even then it’s like they just see the eagles through the cowboys prism. They can’t see past that. I actually thought the cowboys played very well yesterday. The only call I thought was properly bad was the AJ brown PI

But like the cowboys played great. But I didn’t even care to come in here and post that because i knew it was just going to be

Refs screwed us

Yeah it’s a division game. Eagles just got taken to the brink by the commanders. Dak plays his absolute best against philly. He’s like 7-2 in their last 9.

They will never concede a loss except for a select few so for me it’s like who cares what they think. As a fan I hope this continues because it means the eagles are continuing to win. I don’t want it to stop, it stopping would probably be bad.

Like Mr. B in 2020 and 2021 with the “you guys have some good pieces” “I like jalen hurts” “you guys aren’t that bad”

Here’s to hoping the complaining continues all the way through February. That’s the dream here

I agree. Dallas played great and in fact, like I said in the nfc East thread I think they have a really good potentially franchise player there in Tyler smith. He got away with a few holds, sure, but for the most part he played really good against Jalen Carter. Well, until the last drive.lol Jalen Carter kicked his ass constantly on the last drive

Dak played great for sure but part of me is a little bit worried about the Eagles secondary. I know it’s gonna take some time for byard to get fully adjusted but in the two games he’s played the secondary has been torched both times.
last stand
Sixth Man

Post#304 » by last stand » Mon Nov 6, 2023 5:05 pm

Jaydubb wrote:
last stand wrote:
Jaydubb wrote:For some weird reason this fact is lost among some cowboy fans.. They got like 60 yards in penalties alone on that last drive. What more do you need..?lol

Refs screwed us

I agree. Dallas played great and in fact, like I said in the nfc East thread I think they have a really good potentially franchise player there in Tyler smith. He got away with a few holds, sure, but for the most part he played really good against Jalen Carter. Well, until the last drive.lol Jalen Carter kicked his ass constantly on the last drive

Dak played great for sure but part of me is a little bit worried about the Eagles secondary. I know it’s gonna take some time for byard to get fully adjusted but in the two games he’s played the secondary has been torched both times.

Definitely concerned with the secondary. Not so much byard he’s still new. I’ll be concerned with him come week 12 if it’s still like this

I think with Dallas they’re strongest offensively where the eagles are the weakest. In the slot. So I think it felt extra bad. Getting roby back will help but this is exactly why the eagles need to move on from avonte.

I think bradberry has been worse, I think slay has been ok. But I do think they’ve been good enough to win. I think Eli ricks has potential but he’s 100% an outside corner. I just think they need stability at nickel because ricks and Sydney brown are not nickels

Roby needs to get healthy. Blankenships been really good for the most part. He’ll miss some reads which is frustrating.

They’ve completely remade the DL with youth. Which is the brain of the team. The offense is really young outside of 2 OLman. So I think with a 1st and 2 2nds they need to get much much younger in the secondary.
Jaydubb
Rookie

Post#305 » by Jaydubb » Mon Nov 6, 2023 5:28 pm

last stand wrote:
Jaydubb wrote:
last stand wrote:

Refs screwed us

Definitely concerned with the secondary. Not so much byard he’s still new. I’ll be concerned with him come week 12 if it’s still like this

I think with Dallas they’re strongest offensively where the eagles are the weakest. In the slot. So I think it felt extra bad. Getting roby back will help but this is exactly why the eagles need to move on from avonte.

I think bradberry has been worse, I think slay has been ok. But I do think they’ve been good enough to win. I think Eli ricks has potential but he’s 100% an outside corner. I just think they need stability at nickel because ricks and Sydney brown are not nickels

Roby needs to get healthy. Blankenships been really good for the most part. He’ll miss some reads which is frustrating.

They’ve completely remade the DL with youth. Which is the brain of the team. The offense is really young outside of 2 OLman. So I think with a 1st and 2 2nds they need to get much much younger in the secondary.

Agreed. And honestly, I think I’m done with Maddox to be honest. Dude is one of the best in the game when he actually can play but he just never plays..lol.. He’s made out of glass. That’s the other thing, because of all the injuries I feel like the eagles are using some of the young guys incorrectly. With like 14 injuries at slot cornerback, they just gotta put whoever they have in that position at this point.lol but I think both Eli ricks and Sydney brown are playing positions that don’t match their strengths. They had Sydney brown playing Turpin on the goal line in the slot..lmao that’s an easy tuddy.. Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited for the potential of both of those guys, I just think they both are playing out of position.

But yeah, I would 100% go secondary in the draft. Hell, I wouldn’t be mad if 2/3 of their first picks are in the secondary. Actually as a matter of fact, in this draft (2023) my top guy was Jalen Carter but if the eagles couldn’t get him I was hoping Devon Witherspoon would be within range, I’m just not sure the eagles would draft cornerback that high. Top 10-15 picks for the eagles are almost always DL/OL or QB.
Jaydubb
Rookie

Post#306 » by Jaydubb » Mon Nov 6, 2023 5:45 pm

last stand wrote:
Jaydubb wrote:
last stand wrote:

Refs screwed us

While we are at it, I’m also really excited about the eagles OL and DL long term potential. They got some old guys (Graham, Cox, kelce, Lane Johnson) but I think all of those positions already have really good replacements on the eagles roster except Lane Johnson. I think we good at RT though, doesn’t seem like Lane will be retiring any time soon although we probably will need to draft a replacement in a year or two. With Jeff stoutland still on the eagles though, I’m not worried.

Future OL for the eagles (and age) :
LT: mailata (26)
LG: Dickerson (24)
C: jurgens (24)
RG: steen (23) (small sample size but so far looks good)
RT: ?

As far as the DL goes:
Sweaty J: (26)
Jordan Davis: (23)
Jalen Carter: (22)
Reddick: (29)

Reddick is a little bit older but I think Nolan smith is a natural replacement for him. At 22, he’s got time to develop into a starter if/when the eagles plan to move on from reddick to avoid paying him a mega contract at his age. That’ll very likely be a down grade but if it means designating that extra money elsewhere (maybe cornerback or keeping both WRs) it might be worth it. The eagles pass rush will still be very good even without reddick, just not as good obviously.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,358

Post#307 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Nov 6, 2023 5:52 pm

Jaydubb wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mamba42 wrote:In the end, Terrance Steele was exposed by Philly. He gave up pretty much nonstop pressure on Dak

And yet between Dak and all the coaches, nobody could come up with a adjustment to improve the blocking schemes and give Steele a bit of help at times. Who gets the blame for seeing and watching that all game and doing nothing about it. Blaming the refs for a loss is what all bad teams do at every level. Great players and teams find ways to over come it.

Honestly I really think surf would’ve had the same exact reaction. You guys might actually really get along.lol

Hopefully he’s able to sign up

You sure about that? I still haven't changed my mind on Prescott in 3 years. :wink:
Jaydubb
Rookie

Post#308 » by Jaydubb » Mon Nov 6, 2023 6:02 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Jaydubb wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:And yet between Dak and all the coaches, nobody could come up with a adjustment to improve the blocking schemes and give Steele a bit of help at times. Who gets the blame for seeing and watching that all game and doing nothing about it. Blaming the refs for a loss is what all bad teams do at every level. Great players and teams find ways to over come it.

Honestly I really think surf would’ve had the same exact reaction. You guys might actually really get along.lol

You sure about that. I still haven't changed my mind on Prescott in 3 years.

Honestly, as much as he’s defended dak over the years, it sounded to me like he started to slightly turn on him towards the end there with Dak continually coming up short in the playoffs. Mr B, mariner, or mamba can correct me if I’m wrong about that though.

I think if I remember correctly he also said something along the lines of he’s opposite aikman, good in regular season but not good enough in the post season. It might’ve been somebody else that said that though.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#309 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Nov 6, 2023 6:08 pm

Jaydubb wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Jaydubb wrote:Honestly I really think surf would’ve had the same exact reaction. You guys might actually really get along.lol

Honestly, as much as he’s defended dak over the years, it sounded to me like he started to slightly turn on him towards the end there with Dak continually coming up short in the playoffs. Mr B, mariner, or mamba can correct me if I’m wrong about that though.

I think if I remember correctly he also said something along the lines of he’s opposite aikman, good in regular season but not good enough in the post season. It might’ve been somebody else that said that though.

3 years ago I posted in the Cowboy forum that Dak was not the guy and I still stand by it. I have yet to be proven wrong.
QB_Eagles
Rookie
And1: 332

Post#310 » by QB_Eagles » Mon Nov 6, 2023 6:24 pm

Mamba42 wrote:Scrolling through Reddit today and I saw something I haven't seen before: pretty much all the fans in the main NFL subreddit agreeing that the Cowboys were screwed by the refs. When fans of other teams are on the Cowboys side, you know it's bad.

The holding call on the big run for Dallas that clearly wasn't a hold, the phantom PI, the lack of holding calls on Philly, picking up the clear illegal hands to the face flag for no reason at all, Schoonmaker tackled before the ball even got to him on the play where he almost had the TD called, Dak verifying with the ref that Edoga was eligible and then them throwing the flag anyway, etc. Even Greg Olsen of all people was pretty flabbergasted by the calls. The refs were forced to throw some flags at the end on Philly for some really obvious penalties (even though, again, they picked up another obvious one that made Olsen stop mid-sentence lol). Man, what a **** show that was.

Cowboys had a chance to win the game at the end and choked it away, but it looks like the Eagles have now entered Chiefs territory where they amazingly get all the calls their way on a weekly basis (remember the game against Miami where the Eagles didn't have a single penalty? Crazy.)

I don't know if it's gambling or what but NFL refs have really become the worst of the worst across professional sports.

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,152

Post#311 » by Mr B » Mon Nov 6, 2023 7:51 pm

I’m not going be to blame the ref’s so I won’t when it comes to the Cowboys and Eagles game. The Cowboys had plenty of of opportunities to win this game. At the end of the day it came down to the Cowboys not being able to establish the run (again). The OL especially Terrance Steele was getting their ass whipped all game long. Dak put up good numbers but made a crucial mistake that likely cost them the game.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,152

Post#312 » by Mr B » Mon Nov 6, 2023 7:54 pm

Jaydubb wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Jaydubb wrote:Honestly I really think surf would’ve had the same exact reaction. You guys might actually really get along.lol

I honestly can remember who said that but I also remember it being said. I personally have compared Dak to Tony Romo. Great regular season QB and will put up a ton of stats however just not quite good enough to win in the post season (until proven otherwise for Dak).
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#313 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Nov 6, 2023 7:56 pm

Mr B wrote:I’m not going be to blame the ref’s so I won’t when it comes to the Cowboys and Eagles game. The Cowboys had plenty of of opportunities to win this game. At the end of the day it came down to the Cowboys not being able to establish the run (again). The OL especially Terrance Steele was getting their ass whipped all game long. Dak put up good numbers but made a crucial mistake that likely cost them the game.

Since Jimmy Johnson left, the Cowboys are horrible at situational football in big games. Nothing has changed there. 1st and goal at the 5 yard line with the help of the refs and you know who still can't deliver. We just can't get over that last hurdle with Dak and McCarthy to become serious contenders instead of pretenders.
last stand
Sixth Man

Post#314 » by last stand » Mon Nov 6, 2023 8:13 pm

Jaydubb wrote:While we are at it, I’m also really excited about the eagles OL and DL long term potential. They got some old guys (Graham, Cox, kelce, Lane Johnson) but I think all of those positions already have really good replacements on the eagles roster except Lane Johnson. I think we good at RT though, doesn’t seem like Lane will be retiring any time soon although we probably will need to draft a replacement in a year or two. With Jeff stoutland still on the eagles though, I’m not worried.

As far as the DL goes:

Reddick is a little bit older but I think Nolan smith is a natural replacement for him. At 22, he’s got time to develop into a starter if/when the eagles plan to move on from reddick to avoid paying him a mega contract at his age. That’ll very likely be a down grade but if it means designating that extra money elsewhere (maybe cornerback or keeping both WRs) it might be worth it. The eagles pass rush will still be very good even without reddick, just not as good obviously.

Yeah I’m really excited about the OL and DL

Milton Williams is awesome too, as is Moro ojomo who’s developing well

Eagles are stacked for the future there. The 2 areas where I question where we’ll be in 2024 and beyond is secondary. They have Eli ricks and kelee ringo who are nice developmental guys. Josh jobe is a nice physical developmental guy who plays tough, but that’s 2 UDFA and a 4th rounder lol. At safety Sydney Brown has potential, I like him a lot I feel very good about his future at safety, not so much at nickel lol

They need some talent there. Eagles imo need a guy, through trade or draft they need a legit young up and comer on the outside. That way we’re developing Eli ricks, kelee ringo and Josh jobe as potential #2 guys not as our entire cornerback room

It’s like the cowboys with daron bland. He has some weaknesses but even with diggs out he has Gilmore on the other side so he can develop as a #2 and face lesser receivers
Jaydubb
Rookie

Post#315 » by Jaydubb » Mon Nov 6, 2023 8:20 pm

It’s the refs!!! It’s the refs!!!! It’s the refs!!!!!

Jaydubb
Rookie

Post#316 » by Jaydubb » Mon Nov 6, 2023 8:24 pm

last stand wrote:
Jaydubb wrote:While we are at it, I’m also really excited about the eagles OL and DL long term potential. They got some old guys (Graham, Cox, kelce, Lane Johnson) but I think all of those positions already have really good replacements on the eagles roster except Lane Johnson. I think we good at RT though, doesn’t seem like Lane will be retiring any time soon although we probably will need to draft a replacement in a year or two. With Jeff stoutland still on the eagles though, I’m not worried.

As far as the DL goes:

Yeah I’m really excited about the OL and DL

Milton Williams is awesome too, as is Moro ojomo who’s developing well

Eagles are stacked for the future there. The 2 areas where I question where we’ll be in 2024 and beyond is secondary. They have Eli ricks and kelee ringo who are nice developmental guys. Josh jobe is a nice physical developmental guy who plays tough, but that’s 2 UDFA and a 4th rounder lol. At safety Sydney Brown has potential, I like him a lot I feel very good about his future at safety, not so much at nickel lol

They need some talent there. Eagles imo need a guy, through trade or draft they need a legit young up and comer on the outside. That way we’re developing Eli ricks, kelee ringo and Josh jobe as potential #2 guys not as our entire cornerback room

It’s like the cowboys with daron bland. He has some weaknesses but even with diggs out he has Gilmore on the other side so he can develop as a #2 and face lesser receivers

Those guys might just be great rotational pieces. We need a dog tho. Somebody like Witherspoon or surtain or Christian gonzalez. Slay and bradberry are getting old but having one of them or maybe a free agent cornerback of some kind to allow them to be the #2 would be a good way to work them in like you said. I’m obviously happy with Carter and I’d still make that pick now knowing what I do now but man, Witherspoon would’ve been so nice too..lol
Jaydubb
Rookie

Post#317 » by Jaydubb » Mon Nov 6, 2023 8:28 pm

Mr B wrote:
Jaydubb wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:You sure about that. I still haven't changed my mind on Prescott in 3 years.

I honestly can remember who said that but I also remember it being said. I personally have compared Dak to Tony Romo. Great regular season QB and will put up a ton of stats however just not quite good enough to win in the post season (until proven otherwise for Dak).

I do remember you saying that. Seems pretty accurate so far
Jaydubb
Rookie

Post#318 » by Jaydubb » Mon Nov 6, 2023 8:29 pm

Mr B wrote:I’m not going be to blame the ref’s so I won’t when it comes to the Cowboys and Eagles game. The Cowboys had plenty of of opportunities to win this game. At the end of the day it came down to the Cowboys not being able to establish the run (again). The OL especially Terrance Steele was getting their ass whipped all game long. Dak put up good numbers but made a crucial mistake that likely cost them the game.

Amen
okboomer
Pro Prospect
And1: 754

Post#319 » by okboomer » Mon Nov 6, 2023 8:57 pm

Jaydubb wrote:It’s the refs!!! It’s the refs!!!! It’s the refs!!!!!

I mean those were legit calls. But the play Jalen went down on Ive seen called so many times as roughing the passer. He hit him in his knees. Not like every call went against the Cowboys this game. The better team won. When everything is on the line we know Mike and Rayne Dakota will just do something dumb to lose the game. McCarthy had them taking their sweet time in the 4th quarter and then Dak took a sack on that play when that is one thing he couldnt do.
Jaydubb
Rookie

Post#320 » by Jaydubb » Mon Nov 6, 2023 9:30 pm

okboomer wrote:
Jaydubb wrote:It’s the refs!!! It’s the refs!!!! It’s the refs!!!!!

I mean those were legit calls. But the play Jalen went down on Ive seen called so many times as roughing the passer. He hit him in his knees. Not like every call went against the Cowboys this game. The better team won. When everything is on the line we know Mike and Rayne Dakota will just do something dumb to lose the game. McCarthy had them taking their sweet time in the 4th quarter and then Dak took a sack on that play when that is one thing he couldnt do.

Not saying those weren’t legit calls, that’s not my point. I just don’t understand crying about a lack of reffing when in fact there was a ton of penalty yards given to Dallas on the last drive but they still couldn’t finish. Maybe blame that instead of the refs.

But yeah, I can point out several plays the other way that I feel like should’ve been called in the eagles favor and weren’t. But I’m not gonna do it. Like Jason kelce has said before, you shouldn’t put your team in a situation where bad calls like that effect the game. If you take care of business prior to and after the bad ref calls, the penalties won’t matter.

Return to The General NFL Board