Moderator: bwgood77

azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,465

Re: Week 1 Game Thread 

Post#321 » by azcatz11 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:10 pm

El Turco wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Call me crazy but I think Jets are still contenders. You can win in this league with just an elite defense. And we just saw Allen, who most consider to be the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the NFL, throw 3 INTs on that defense and lose to Wilson.

Can you?

depends on what you call contenders, they can win the afc east(longshot considering how dolphins looked) or make it to playoffs, maybe get a win but you gotta have at least above average qb to get to the playoffs. wilson doesnt even look top 35 qb right now.

They should trade for Trey Lance imo.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#322 » by El Turco » Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:11 pm

rodgers will come back unless something goes wrong with his rehab, no way he wants to go out like this.

on the bright side i guess jets wont have to send their first rounder next year
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
El Turco

Post#323 » by El Turco » Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:14 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
El Turco wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Can you?

depends on what you call contenders, they can win the afc east(longshot considering how dolphins looked) or make it to playoffs, maybe get a win but you gotta have at least above average qb to get to the playoffs. wilson doesnt even look top 35 qb right now.

this kind of assessment is why you lose so much money every week :lol:

Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,190

Post#324 » by Micah Prescott » Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:16 pm

El Turco wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Call me crazy but I think Jets are still contenders. You can win in this league with just an elite defense. And we just saw Allen, who most consider to be the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the NFL, throw 3 INTs on that defense and lose to Wilson.

Can you?

Broncos Peyton Manning was the lowest rated QB in the entire NFL the year that they won it all. 67.9

He threw only 9 TDs that year and 17 INTs only only 8 games starting. He was really really bad.

Now, that said, it is rare for a QB that bad to win a ring, but it happens every now and then. I do think that Wilson would need to up his game and at least be a top-20 guy.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,465

Post#325 » by azcatz11 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:26 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
El Turco wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Can you?

Broncos Peyton Manning was the lowest rated QB in the entire NFL the year that they won it all. 67.9

He threw only 9 TDs that year and 17 INTs only only 8 games starting. He was really really bad.

Now, that said, it is rare for a QB that bad to win a ring, but it happens every now and then. I do think that Wilson would need to up his game and at least be a top-20 guy.

This Jets defense is probably as good as those Bronco defenses. I still don't think you can do anything substantial with the MILF Hunter as your QB.

As much as people hate, Trey Lance has significant upside and just needs reps
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#326 » by skones » Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:28 pm

DOT wrote:
skones wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:I think the question now becomes, at age 39, is Rodgers done playing football for good?

And if so, is that the easiest $75m any athlete has ever made?

I wouldn't call leaving with a torn achilles "easy" and he took a paycut to do it. But no, I don't think he's done. He's got too much, "**** you, don't tell me I can't" in him to walk away like this IMO.

I can't see the Jets wanting him back next year though

Cause like, that's yet another year of a huge question mark at QB, he'd be turning 41 coming off an Achilles tear. Yeah Rodgers on 1 leg is still better than Zach Wilson, but still

If he isn't, then they've wasted yet another year of that defense, and even if he is good, they'd only have 1 or 2 years max with him. Even before this injury their window was short, but now it's a razor thin margin for error.

Truth be told, I wouldn't be terribly worried about the after effects of the injury for Rodgers should he come back. He doesn't rely on his mobility as much as he once did, and he certainly doesn't rely on explosive movements in order to get the job done. Achilles injuries reduce explosiveness, his arm didn't suddenly fall off (unless you suddenly think he's going to have a substantial loss in arm strength (in which case he'd STILL have one of the strongest arms in football), and he's not going to forget how to read defenses.

Also worth noting is his throwing style. Rather than relying on his front foot (the one he tore) to generate his power, he uses torque in his hips to generate a snap.
El Turco

Post#327 » by El Turco » Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:37 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
El Turco wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Can you?

peyton definitely didnt play like that in the playoffs though, at least until the super bowl. he was clutch against both steelers and patriots, laser focused when he needed to make plays.

broncos wouldnt have gotten to the super bowl if they had someone like zach wilson.

QB_Eagles
Rookie
And1: 332

Post#328 » by QB_Eagles » Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:49 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Imagine if Dak had a game like Josh Allen just had…

Just sayin’

No need to imagine it: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201711190dal.htm
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#329 » by Micah Prescott » Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:38 pm

El Turco wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
El Turco wrote:

peyton definitely didnt play like that in the playoffs though, at least until the super bowl. he was clutch against both steelers and patriots, laser focused when he needed to make plays.

broncos wouldnt have gotten to the super bowl if they had someone like zach wilson.

Peyton was not good in the playoffs, and in the Super Bowl he threw 0 TDs and 1 INT with a passer rating of 56.6

Wilson was better than that last night

other games -
0 TDs 0 INTs vs the Steelers, 74.4 rating
2 TDs 0 INTs vs the Pats, 90.1 rating

He was "good" vs the Pats I guess, but did nothing vs the Steelers and was awful in the SB
El Turco

Post#330 » by El Turco » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:06 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
El Turco wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Broncos Peyton Manning was the lowest rated QB in the entire NFL the year that they won it all. 67.9

Peyton was not good in the playoffs, and in the Super Bowl he threw 0 TDs and 1 INT with a passer rating of 56.6

other games -

He was "good" vs the Pats I guess, but did nothing vs the Steelers and was awful in the SB

you are obviously too young to remember that steelers game and good example of how relying on a stat like qb rating is dumb. he marched them through for the winning touchdown with a minute left, wilson never had a drive like that in his career and unlikely to ever have one. especially the 3rd and 12 pinpoint 30+ yarder to bennie fowler is not something you could expect from someone like wilson. peyton had 222 yards with no turnovers, only reason he didnt get a good "qb rating" is because he didnt get a touchdown as broncos always hand it off to the rbs at the goal line. also peyton got a 2 point conversion which are not included in the rating even though they are critical.

i said nothing about the super bowl they didnt need him in that game, at the end it is very likely that you will have a difficult 4th quarter drive to win a game at some point in the playoffs. you cant depend on wilson level qb to get that done in the modern game, 30-40 years ago sure.

Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#331 » by Micah Prescott » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:35 pm

El Turco wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
El Turco wrote:

other games -

you are obviously too young to remember that steelers game and good example of how relying on a stat like qb rating is dumb. he marched them through for the winning touchdown with a minute left, wilson never had a drive like that in his career and unlikely to ever have one. especially the 3rd and 12 pinpoint 30+ yarder to bennie fowler is not something you could expect from someone like wilson. peyton had 222 yards with no turnovers, only reason he didnt get a good "qb rating" is because he didnt get a touchdown as broncos always hand it off to the rbs at the goal line. also peyton got a 2 point conversion which are not included in the rating even though they are critical.

i said nothing about the super bowl they didnt need him in that game, at the end it is very likely that you will have a difficult 4th quarter drive to win a game at some point in the playoffs. you cant depend on wilson level qb to get that done in the modern game, 30-40 years ago sure.

He just had that last night. Late 4th Q TD pass to tie the game where they eventually went on to win.

Zach Wilson is a BAD Qb and I am not trying to prove otherwise, but so was Peyton the year he won a ring with the Broncos, hence him retiring right after. In fact he was arguably the worst starting QB in the NFL that year. They won on an elite defense.

If the Jets sneak in the playoffs it isn't impossible the same could happen. They might even face the Bills again where Allen throws 3 INTs.

I don't think this scenario I'm describing is likely or anything. I'm just saying that with a defense like theirs they shouldn't view the season as over. We have seen teams with an elite D and bad offense win it all before.
El Turco

Post#332 » by El Turco » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:06 pm

yeah he did it first game of the season where half the players still on vacation time, dont think pressure of the game would have been same in january.

dilfer was really the last bad qb to get to the super bowl, and that was 22 years ago. i think it is close to impossible with the new rules and spacing schemes.

Mamba42
Pro Prospect
And1: 171

Post#333 » by Mamba42 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:49 am

skones wrote:
Mamba42 wrote:I bet he tore or ruptured his Achilles. A rupture maybe he can come back this year. A tear, no way. That's a bummer cause I was looking forward to the Jets being good.

They should be competitive still, though, with that defense and Wilson still has a lot of untapped potential.

A rupture is a tear.
Well there you go, I always thought a rupture was lesser injury (aka partial tear) while a full tear is detached from the bone. Good to know they can refer to the same thing.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,152

Post#334 » by Mr B » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:00 pm

El Turco wrote:rodgers will come back unless something goes wrong with his rehab, no way he wants to go out like this.

He can be back on their field in about 12 months but an Achilles injury typically takes about 2 years to fully recover from. Rodgers will be almost 42 by then. This could be it for him.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#335 » by Mr B » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:02 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
El Turco wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Can you?

If they want to give Dallas their 1st for Lance I’m sure Jerry would be willing to do that.
QB_Eagles
Rookie
And1: 332

Post#336 » by QB_Eagles » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:53 pm

Wentz would be just the kind of guy to think, if he got signed by the Jets, that Rodgers tearing his Achilles was divine intervention. SB-bound honestly if so.
Jaydubb
Rookie
And1: 353

Post#337 » by Jaydubb » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:08 pm

QB_Eagles wrote:Wentz would be just the kind of guy to think, if he got signed by the Jets, that Rodgers tearing his Achilles was divine intervention. SB-bound honestly if so.

100%
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,727

Post#338 » by DOT » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:25 pm

Long video, but great breakdown:

Justin Fields clearly has issues, but watching some of those plays gave me Urban Meyer flashbacks with how poorly they're coached and playcalled

It's like they're trying to sabotage him.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#339 » by skones » Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:08 pm

Mr B wrote:
El Turco wrote:rodgers will come back unless something goes wrong with his rehab, no way he wants to go out like this.

He can be back on their field in about 12 months but an Achilles injury typically takes about 2 years to fully recover from. Rodgers will be almost 42 by then. This could be it for him.
He'll be back on the field in 9 and be good for training camp. I was back in 6 playing high level soccer and that's without NFL facilities and physios.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#340 » by Mr B » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:35 am

skones wrote:
Mr B wrote:

He'll be back on the field in 9 and be good for training camp. I was back in 6 playing high level soccer and that's without NFL facilities and physios.

Dan Marino never fully recovered.

Return to The General NFL Board