Bigger Disappointment: Cowboys or Eagles?

Moderator: bwgood77

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,152

Re: Bigger Disappointment: Cowboys or Eagles? 

Post#61 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:46 pm

wembambamya wrote:
Mr B wrote:
wembambamya wrote:
Yeah now Niners are heavy favorites win it, before the season started not so much. Niners became team to win in NFC week 13ish but even then Eagles were expected to have the homefield so it was a toss up more than anything.

So who did you have winning the NFC West Seattle?

lmao, ahahahaha hoooop

See I knew the Cowboys fan picked the Niners to win the NFC West.
wembambamya
Junior
And1: 114

Post#62 » by wembambamya » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:58 pm

Mr B wrote:
wembambamya wrote:
Mr B wrote:So who did you have winning the NFC West Seattle?

lmao, ahahahaha hoooop

See I knew the Cowboys fan picked the Niners to win the NFC West.

which is utterly irrelevant lmao just another hoop to jump ahah
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,679

Post#63 » by GeorgeSears » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:14 am

Definitely, the Cowboys. The Cowboys were no.1 in offense no.2 in defense, had the best point differential in the league, 15-0 winning streak at home, no.2 seed. They were a legit super bowl contender. They were clearly second best in the NFC (behind 49ers).

Everything was aligned this year... and they choked hard.

The Eagles were frauds at 10-1, and then completely collapsed down the stretch. Their loss was predictable.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,208

Post#64 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:30 am

Playoffs Cowboys for sure, they had momentum going forward and just got complacent and got exposed badly. They were out coached from the get-go and just taken to the wood shed and the rest is history. The Philadelphia Eagles regular season was probably one of the bigger collapses in recent years they lost to some horrible teams and it wasn't even they were losing close games it looked like they were two different teams. The Eagles really need to go after a new offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator address their linebacker issue and go after some secondary help either in the draft or fear free agency. One guy I would throw money at is Patrick McQueen from Baltimore
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,719

Post#65 » by DOT » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:21 pm

Eagles

I don't know how anyone can be disappointed in the Cowboys at this point. That means you gotta have expectations, and nobody should expect anything from them in the playoffs until they prove they can win a divisional round game which they haven't done since 1995. Which sucks cause I'm a few months off of being able to say "in my lifetime", but close enough I guess.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,189

Post#66 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:40 pm

DOT wrote:Eagles

I don't know how anyone can be disappointed in the Cowboys at this point. That means you gotta have expectations, and nobody should expect anything from them in the playoffs until they prove they can win a divisional round game which they haven't done since 1995. Which sucks cause I'm a few months off of being able to say "in my lifetime", but close enough I guess.

Realistically it would just move the chains to "haven't won an NFC Championship since 96"

and then "haven't won a ring since 96"

I know this because with both Romo and Dak it started with "haven't won a playoff game" and then once they do it just moves the chains to the next stage. It doesn't actually leave fans satisfied.

At the end of the day it's only the rings that really matter.
QB_Eagles
Rookie
And1: 332

Post#67 » by QB_Eagles » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:35 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
DOT wrote:Eagles

Realistically it would just move the chains to "haven't won an NFC Championship since 96"

and then "haven't won a ring since 96"

I know this because with both Romo and Dak it started with "haven't won a playoff game" and then once they do it just moves the chains to the next stage. It doesn't actually leave fans satisfied.

At the end of the day it's only the rings that really matter.

Yes, this is true.

But the bar is so low for the Cowboys it's really just making a conference championship game in almost 30 years.

The Jags did it.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#68 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:46 pm

After this playoff loss, it really does have me pondering how fascinating it is that this franchise can not only retain it's fan base year after year but also grow it.

I actually think it is a strange, bizarre, weird phenomenon. And it's almost unexplainable in modern times.

"America's Team" was coined in 1978. It's been decades and I do not even hear the media use this phrase any more. Has that moniker really resulted in infinite never ending financial success? That grows no matter what the team does?

Every year the Cowboys break viewing records, the franchise is the most valuable in all of sports, Euro soccer teams included.

And like mentioned, they haven't even made it to an NFC Championship Game since 96.

Jerry Jones isn't THAT much of a genius, no one is. It's like a weird viral event within sports. And I do not think there is another franchise anywhere that has a similar story.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#69 » by El Turco » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:29 pm

That's not just Cowboys, American leagues do a very good job showcasing historically successful franchises. Same way they have a franchise in a village in Wisconsin and it is one of the most popular teams in the league. Steelers have a fanbase waay outsizes its market size because of their success in 70s, they sucked between early 80s and late 90s but it didnt matter. Knicks are second or third most valuable franchise in the league and they've sucked almost as long as Cowboys without as good a legacy.

They just know how to market legacy, one of the many reasons why American sports teams always are almost always more valuable than soccer teams despite much lower viewership.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,719

Post#70 » by DOT » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:03 pm

El Turco wrote:Knicks are second or third most valuable franchise in the league and they've sucked almost as long as Cowboys without as good a legacy.

Yeah, you don't see me chirping at the Blazers because the Knicks won 2 titles in the 70s to their 1 lol.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Mr B
RealGM

Post#71 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:50 pm

El Turco wrote:That's not just Cowboys, American leagues do a very good job showcasing historically successful franchises. Same way they have a franchise in a village in Wisconsin and it is one of the most popular teams in the league. Steelers have a fanbase waay outsizes its market size because of their success in 70s, they sucked between early 80s and late 90s but it didnt matter. Knicks are second or third most valuable franchise in the league and they've sucked almost as long as Cowboys without as good a legacy.

They just know how to market legacy, one of the many reasons why American sports teams always are almost always more valuable than soccer teams despite much lower viewership.

That’s true however Micah is right about how it’s odd that a team can go almost 30 years without any real success and yet their fan base grows more than any other team (in any sport). Even teams that have won SB’s more recently don’t have the draw that the Cowboys do. It’s really hard to explain. I mean people like to call the Patriots “America’s Team” however do you think their fanbase would grow to the level of what the Cowboys have done if they go the next 30 years without any significant success (or really any success at all)?

I’m not saying this is a good thing either. It’s just weird.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#72 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:57 pm

DOT wrote:
El Turco wrote:Knicks are second or third most valuable franchise in the league and they've sucked almost as long as Cowboys without as good a legacy.

Yeah, you don't see me chirping at the Blazers because the Knicks won 2 titles in the 70s to their 1 lol.

The Knicks are popular but they are not in the top 5 of sports franchises in the world (not just the NBA). The Lakers, Yankees, Real Madrid, and Manchester United are really the only sports franchises that compare in popularity to the Cowboys. Again, it’s really weird considering their lack of success. The NY Giants, Knicks, and oddly enough Commanders I would rank somewhere about 6-10.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#73 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:44 pm

I think New York and LA teams can be explained simply because those are the two largest cities in the US and would draw a lot of fans just for that reason alone. DFW is a big metroplex but not on the same scale as NY or LA.

The Commanders being up there is also weird though, that is one of the worst run franchises in all of sports. Even their branding has gone to crap. I do not understand that one at all.
Jaydubb
Rookie
And1: 353

Post#74 » by Jaydubb » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:01 pm

The dodgers are about to be a more popular team than all your teams combined

/thread
Mr B
RealGM

Post#75 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:04 pm

Jaydubb wrote:The Rangers are about to be a more popular team than all your teams combined

/thread

I noticed your typo so I fixed it for you.
Jaydubb
Rookie

Bigger Disappointment: Cowboys or Eagles? 

Post#76 » by Jaydubb » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:06 pm

Mr B wrote:
Jaydubb wrote:The Rangers are about to be a more popular team than all your teams combined

/thread

Bro!! Take care of seagoat for me.. I miss that **** y’all about to sign kershaw too so **** you haha. Signing all the dodgers players. Watch you guys get walker buehler next
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,201

Post#77 » by RaoulDuke79 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:46 pm

Jaydubb wrote:The dodgers are about to be a more popular team than all your teams combined

/thread

They're gonna be good again this year. Might even lose in the NLCS instead of the NLDS this time!
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#78 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:01 pm

Jaydubb wrote:
Mr B wrote:

/thread

Bro!! Take care of seagoat for me.. I miss that **** y’all about to sign kershaw too so **** you haha. Signing all the dodgers players. Watch you guys get walker buehler next

As much as I like the little Rangers they really have a long way to go before being popular outside of this market. The ownership is doing great things though!
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#79 » by El Turco » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:30 pm

Mr B wrote:
El Turco wrote:That's not just Cowboys, American leagues do a very good job showcasing historically successful franchises. Same way they have a franchise in a village in Wisconsin and it is one of the most popular teams in the league. Steelers have a fanbase waay outsizes its market size because of their success in 70s, they sucked between early 80s and late 90s but it didnt matter. Knicks are second or third most valuable franchise in the league and they've sucked almost as long as Cowboys without as good a legacy.

That’s true however Micah is right about how it’s odd that a team can go almost 30 years without any real success and yet their fan base grows more than any other team (in any sport). Even teams that have won SB’s more recently don’t have the draw that the Cowboys do. It’s really hard to explain. I mean people like to call the Patriots “America’s Team” however do you think their fanbase would grow to the level of what the Cowboys have done if they go the next 30 years without any significant success (or really any success at all)?

I’m not saying this is a good thing either. It’s just weird.

I dont know if Cowboys' fanbase increased more exponential than population increase. There were lot of people who bandwagoned Cowboys when they were kids in 90s, now those people are in their 30s, 40s+ at the height of their spending power but you dont see them as much in newer generations.

Valuation is not all about fan base size, wealth of your metro area, your stadium, sponsorships, trends etc all matter, pretty much everything's about monetizing. For example second most valuable NFL team is Rams but there is no way they are the second most popular team. ManU and Real has followers that probably exceeds the entire population of U.S yet they are not even in top 10 in valuation. As I said Americans are just amazing at monetizing sports.

I dont think it is that weird either, just about every league has a butt of a joke popular team, NBA has Knicks, MLB has Mets--for years had Red Sox and Cubs on top valuation--NHL has Maple Leafs and of course NFL has Cowboys.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Jaydubb
Rookie

Post#80 » by Jaydubb » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:33 pm

RaoulDuke79 wrote:
Jaydubb wrote:The dodgers are about to be a more popular team than all your teams combined

/thread

They're gonna be good again this year. Might even lose in the NLCS instead of the NLDS this time!

Progress!

Return to The General NFL Board