OT: College Football

Moderator: bwgood77

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,511

Re: OT: College Football 

Post#81 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Sep 4, 2023 3:18 pm

DOT wrote:On a positive note for my Huskies, losing 24-14 to a team that beat us 41-10 last year seems like a step in the right direction

On a negative note, holy sh*t Fagnano did not look good outside of the first drive. Dude is supposed to bring that vet experience as a 5th year guy who came from the same offense as our new OC (he transferred from Maine with the OC we hired this past year), but he looked more lost than true freshman Zion Turner last year who wasn't even supposed to play but had to fill in once Ta'Quan Roberson went down on the 2nd drive of the season

I hope this dude turns it around, but he was super indecisive for a guy with that much experience, and he doesn't have a ton of tools to make plays out of structure either

We've never had good receiving talent, we're UConn after all, but still

At least we're getting quality losses when we've been like the Browns of FBS for the past near decade.

I didn't know that Uconn was an independent until recently.

I don't watch a ton of college Basketball.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,731

Post#82 » by DOT » Mon Sep 4, 2023 3:58 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:I didn't know that Uconn was an independent until recently.

I don't watch a ton of college Basketball.

That's cause it's pretty recent

This is the 4th year we've been an independent (and they didn't play games in 2020 cause Covid, so only the 3rd actual season)

There's a good amount of rumors that the Big 12 is considering UConn, which a lot of fans hate cause they love the Big East and we just moved back, but the funding difference is like $50 million a year, so you can see why the school wants it

The football team has also just been absolute garbage the last near decade. 3 seasons before Mora got here we went 4-33. My freshman year was the first year in the AAC, and not counting last year, the team has gone 21-76, with the best year being 6-7 back in 2015, and no other year with more than 3 wins. Like I said, essentially the Browns of FBS

There's also a lot of people that just want to either get rid of the football team or drop them down to Division II, but the problem is the field we use (whish is like a 45 minute drive from campus, all the way in East Hartford) requires the school to be D1, and it's way too expensive to get out of, so we're kind of stuck with it. Fun fact though, it (Rentschler Field) was built in the 90s to attract the Patriots, but they decided to go to Foxboro. Which was the right move, tbh, the Rent is a piece of sh*t stadium.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,614

Post#83 » by Worm Guts » Mon Sep 4, 2023 4:32 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Colorado/TCU was a great game.

I was surprised that Colorado was a 20 point underdog with all the talent Prime brought in. I'm not a gambler, but I would have taken that action.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#84 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Sep 5, 2023 3:31 am

Duke4life831 wrote:

Riley Leonard is good at Football.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#85 » by Worm Guts » Tue Sep 5, 2023 12:55 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Just have to say this upcoming draft is going to be bonkers. Some true freakish talents

Is Travis Hunter draft eligible? I think he might only be a Sophomore?

Ya he has 1 more year. Legit Soph, no redshirt or anything.

But still you got freak talents like Caleb, Marvin Jr, and Bowers. And really really good prospects like Olu, Verse, Turner, and Maye. If this class had Hunter in it as well, we would be talking one of the more hyped up classes I could remember.

Seems like it's going to be pretty QB heavy as well with guys like Penix, Ewers, Bo NIx filling out the first round, and maybe Shadeur Sanders and Jordan Travis as well.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#86 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Sep 5, 2023 4:25 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Is Travis Hunter draft eligible? I think he might only be a Sophomore?

But still you got freak talents like Caleb, Marvin Jr, and Bowers. And really really good prospects like Olu, Verse, Turner, and Maye. If this class had Hunter in it as well, we would be talking one of the more hyped up classes I could remember.

Seems like it's going to be pretty QB heavy as well with guys like Penix, Ewers, Bo NIx filling out the first round, and maybe Shadeur Sanders and Jordan Travis as well.

None of those guys will sniff the first round. Sanders, it's still too early to tell. As a UW guy, I love watching Penix. But he has had a long list of injuries that would scare off any team.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,372

Post#87 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Sep 5, 2023 4:32 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

By the end of the college season Drake Maye will be liked by the pro scouts as much if not more than Williams. :wink:
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#88 » by Worm Guts » Tue Sep 5, 2023 4:55 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

None of those guys will sniff the first round. Sanders, it's still too early to tell. As a Uw guy, I love watching Penix. But he has had a long list of injuries that would scare off any team.

I'm mostly basing my opinion on mocks I've seen. Penix and Ewers are in most 1st round mocks right now that I've seen, Bo Nix has been 1st/2nd round, Travis in the 2nd round. It's early on Sanders, but I think he's picked in the first 2 rounds if he plays close to what he did on Saturday.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#89 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Sep 5, 2023 5:26 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

None of those guys will sniff the first round. Sanders, it's still too early to tell. As a Uw guy, I love watching Penix. But he has had a long list of injuries that would scare off any team.

I'm mostly basing my opinion on mocks I've seen. Penix and Ewers are in most 1st round mocks right now that I've seen, Bo Nix has been 1st/2nd round, Travis in the 2nd round. It's early on Sanders, but I think he's picked in the first 2 rounds if he plays close to what he did on Saturday.

If I had to guess, Penix will end up being taken somewhere between Rounds 3-5. He has a great arm. But really only one year of production in a very QB friendly system. Three years we're cut short because of injury & Pandemic.

Ewers play has been inconsistent at times & he's on the smaller side. He'll be a mid-round pick. Same deal with the other two.

If Sanders plays well then he has a chance.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,127

Post#90 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Sep 5, 2023 5:38 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Riley Leonard is good at Football.

Just got around to watching this game. Definitely outplayed Klubnik. That was a hell of a TD run and he can really sling it. Accuracy comes and goes haha.

Will be very interesting if any QB can separate himself to being viewed as the consensus #3 guy for this draft.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#91 » by Worm Guts » Tue Sep 5, 2023 6:34 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:None of those guys will sniff the first round. Sanders, it's still too early to tell. As a Uw guy, I love watching Penix. But he has had a long list of injuries that would scare off any team.

If I had to guess, Penix will end up being taken somewhere between Rounds 3-5. He has a great arm. But really only one year of production in a very QB friendly system. Three years we're cut short because of injury & Pandemic.

Ewers play has been inconsistent at times & he's on the smaller side. He'll be a mid-round pick. Same deal with the other two.

If Sanders plays well then he has a chance.

Based on what I've seen of Penix, I probably would agree. Ewers has a ton of arm talent though and is younger, I think if he performs at a high level, he'll be a first round pick.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#92 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Sep 5, 2023 9:10 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:If I had to guess, Penix will end up being taken somewhere between Rounds 3-5. He has a great arm. But really only one year of production in a very QB friendly system. Three years we're cut short because of injury & Pandemic.

Based on what I've seen of Penix, I probably would agree.

He throws such a beautiful deep ball. Can really spin it.

He had one of the most ridiculous throws against Oregon last year, that you'll ever see.

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#93 » by Worm Guts » Tue Sep 5, 2023 10:09 pm

Probably the one thing I hold against Penix is that he had an entire college career at Indiana and now he’s in his second year at Washington. Doesn’t necessarily mean anything in terms of pro prospects but six years in college seems like too much.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,586

Post#94 » by hermes » Tue Sep 5, 2023 11:08 pm

that's a good point, too old for round 1 right?

but the only thing i know about penix is from week 1 in 2021 when iowa chewed him up and spit him out
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,731

Post#95 » by DOT » Wed Sep 6, 2023 2:26 am

Early mock drafts always have a ton of QBs in the 1st

You can find drafts with Sam Howell and Desmond Ridder in the 1st 2 years ago. Hell, even earlier this year you could find people arguing Tanner McKee might slip into the 1st, and he went in the 6th.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#96 » by Worm Guts » Wed Sep 6, 2023 5:02 am

Some years I think they put guys in the first round just because they figure some QB is going in the first round and they take a shot. This year I don’t think that’s an issue with Williams and Maye being legit. I think Bo Nix will put numbers and go somewhere in the late first/early second and I think there are quite a few talented guys in good situations who could end up there. I think this is a legitimate deep class.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#97 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Sep 8, 2023 6:03 pm

Read on Twitter
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,514

Post#98 » by azcatz11 » Sat Sep 9, 2023 3:32 am

Never thought I’d say this but I’ve enjoyed college games more than NFL so far. The rule change eliminating the first down stoppage has transformed the game.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,127

Post#99 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Sep 9, 2023 5:00 pm

Im still not sold on Sanders being a pick in the top 2 rounds. Not sure I see a ton of what he is doing translating to a pro offense. I can see him going after the 2nd round, because there are plenty of rawish QBs that go in rounds 3-5 all the time. But ya I think he has a lot to prove to be picked in the top 2 rounds.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#100 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Sep 9, 2023 5:31 pm

It's crazy how much Nebraska has fallen off as a program.

Return to The General NFL Board