DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,624

Re: NFL cuts/Roster moves 

Post#5 » by DOT » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:16 am

Cactus Jack wrote:Arizona is clearly tanking

You have to wonder what the plan is for them for QB if they get the #1 pick

Cause Kyler isn't bad, but Caleb Williams is supposedly the best prospect since Trevor (it's only been 3 years, but still), the kind that won't be available every year. And with Kyler so reliant on his legs, a leg injury is a big question mark for his future

Kyler's contract complicates stuff cause they can't really trade him for a couple years yet, so it's possible management would prefer to keep him and trade the pick, cause you'd probably get even more than the Bears did this past year for it.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,537

Post#6 » by righterwriter » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:02 am

DOT wrote:

Cause Kyler isn't bad, but Caleb Williams is supposedly the best prospect since Trevor (it's only been 3 years, but still), the kind that won't be available every year. And with Kyler so reliant on his legs, a leg injury is a big question mark for his future

Kyler's contract complicates stuff cause they can't really trade him for a couple years yet, so it's possible management would prefer to keep him and trade the pick, cause you'd probably get even more than the Bears did this past year for it.

I had a response written up about how you can't keep putting a bad QB (and bad leader) out there just because you paid him. I was going to say that you just cut him and take your medicine, then draft the franchise guy in Caleb Williams to start a new chapter. Then I looked at Kyler's contract.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/kyler-murray-29036

My god, the Cardinals are screwed if Kyler doesn't play like at least a decent QB. His dead cap in 2024 is $81M, in 2025 its $33M, and is $20M in 2026. You absolutely cannot cut him next year, as he's making over 1/3 of the salary cap. 2025, maybe you can cut him but its still an enormous hit. 2026 it would be painful, but could make some sense. So that's at least two more years after this one where Kyler likely needs to be the starting QB.

It's an insane contract. Unless Kyler finds his focus again, the Cardinals are going to be horrible for at least the next three seasons.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,496

Post#7 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:51 pm

righterwriter wrote:
DOT wrote:

I had a response written up about how you can't keep putting a bad QB (and bad leader) out there just because you paid him. I was going to say that you just cut him and take your medicine, then draft the franchise guy in Caleb Williams to start a new chapter. Then I looked at Kyler's contract.

My god, the Cardinals are screwed if Kyler doesn't play like at least a decent QB. His dead cap in 2024 is $81M, in 2025 its $33M, and is $20M in 2026. You absolutely cannot cut him next year, as he's making over 1/3 of the salary cap. 2025, maybe you can cut him but its still an enormous hit. 2026 it would be painful, but could make some sense. So that's at least two more years after this one where Kyler likely needs to be the starting QB.

It's an insane contract. Unless Kyler finds his focus again, the Cardinals are going to be horrible for at least the next three seasons.

Teams are able to spread the hit over two years (June 1st). Moving on from him is not impossible.

It's going to take a couple of years anyways, to turnover that roster.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#8 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:06 pm

Read on Twitter
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,133

Post#9 » by Mr B » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:09 pm

DOT wrote:

I think first the Cards should consider any and all trade scenarios if the get the #1. The haul for the rights to draft Caleb Williams is going to be HUGE! I’m not saying they have to trade the pick just that they need to consider every possible trade.

If they are ready to move on from Kyler though keep the pick, choose Caleb and don’t look back. Figure out a way later to get out of Kyler’s contract.

The question I have is would Caleb Williams even want to play for the Cards? Would he be willing to sit out so they will trade the pick?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#10 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:16 pm

Mr B wrote:
DOT wrote:

I think first the Cards should consider any and all trade scenarios if the get the #1. The haul for the rights to draft Caleb Williams is going to be HUGE! I’m not saying they have to trade the pick just that they need to consider every possible trade.

If they are ready to move on from Kyler though keep the pick, choose Caleb and don’t look back. Figure out a way later to get out of Kyler’s contract.

The question I have is would Caleb Williams even want to play for the Cards? Would he be willing to sit out so they will trade the pick?

If you land the #1 pick you take Caleb. He's special.

Kyler isn't that guy. You move on from him. Even with the financial burden that comes with it.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#11 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:22 pm

Read on Twitter
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,537

Post#12 » by righterwriter » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:38 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
righterwriter wrote:
DOT wrote:You have to wonder what the plan is for them for QB if they get the #1 pick

Teams are able to spread the hit over two years (June 1st). Moving on from him is not impossible.

So if they cut him next year, they'd be able to transfer over $142M in cap money over two years?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#13 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:42 pm

righterwriter wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Teams are able to spread the hit over two years (June 1st). Moving on from him is not impossible.

So if they cut him next year, they'd be able to transfer over $142M in cap money over two years?

The amount of guaranteed money is $81M next year (Dead Cap). It's a very high number. But the team has the option to spread that amount over two years ('24 & '25). It's known as the June 1st Designation. Every team has that option.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#14 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:12 pm

Read on Twitter
yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,343

Post#15 » by yellowknifer » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:39 am

Rourke being cut was a surprise. He's really good IMO.

Return to The General NFL Board