Image Image Image Image

Cubs, Tribune Co. reportedly sold to real estate mogul

2poor
RealGM
And1: 0
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Cubs, Tribune Co. reportedly sold to real estate mogul 

Post#1 » by 2poor » Mon Apr 2, 2007 1:28 pm

Associated Press wrote:Tribune Co. accepted a buyout offer from real estate investor Sam Zell, a person with knowledge of the deal said Monday. Terms were not immediately available.

After spending six months soliciting bids and reviewing offers, Chicago-based Tribune had set a self-imposed March 31 deadline to announce a spin-off, buyout or reorganization.

Tribune, which owns the Chicago Tribune, Los Angeles Times, TV stations and the Chicago Cubs, had been considering competing offers from Zell and from Los Angeles billionaires Eli Broad and Ron Burkle.

ESPN link

Well, it isn't Mark Cuban, but I trust he can get the job done and dish out the bucks!
blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#2 » by blumeany » Mon Apr 2, 2007 1:56 pm

Supposedly they are already planning on selling the Cubs, Zell has no interest in them. Soooooo....I can only imagine the entertainment when Marc Cuban and Lou Piniella get together! HOly cr@p! :lol:
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#3 » by 2poor » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:18 pm

All I know is, I wish I was a real estate mogul. :lol:
Professor Frink
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,958

Post#4 » by Professor Frink » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:34 pm

Nice. Now I won't have to listen to people complain about the Trib anymore.
Do you know where you're going to spend eternity? You're going to spend it with me, talking about Jesus Christ.
Neusch23
Head Coach
And1: 59

Post#5 » by Neusch23 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:47 pm

Cuban would be great for the Cubs!!!

DANG!!
SephCast
Bench Warmer
And1: 95

Post#6 » by SephCast » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:36 pm

Screw Cuban, I want TRUMP.
2poor
RealGM

Post#7 » by 2poor » Mon Apr 2, 2007 5:14 pm

Update..

Associated Press wrote:Tribune Co. said it plans to sell the Chicago
Cubs at the end of the 2007 baseball season, putting one of its
most valuable assets on the block as it simultaneously announced
Monday that real estate magnate Sam Zell was acquiring the media
conglomerate.

Analysts have estimated that the Cubs could fetch $600 million
or more. Tribune bought the team in 1981 for $20.5 million.

"The Cubs have been an important part of Tribune for more than
25 years and are one of the most storied franchises in all of
sports," said Dennis FitzSimons, Tribune chairman, president and
chief executive officer. "In our last season of ownership, the
team has one mission, and that is to win for our great fans."

link
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,701

Post#8 » by nitetrain8603 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:25 pm

Apparently it's for 8.2 billion dollars. How loaded is the guy? Anyway, I hope for the sake of Cubs fans that he honestly wants to win and not only because of monetary reasons. Rather, that shouldn't be his prime reason.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#9 » by SportsWorld » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:57 pm

Please bring in Mark Cuban :pray:
The Sheik
General Manager

Post#10 » by The Sheik » Mon Apr 2, 2007 9:01 pm

nitetrain8603 wrote:Apparently it's for 8.2 billion dollars. How loaded is the guy? Anyway, I hope for the sake of Cubs fans that he honestly wants to win and not only because of monetary reasons. Rather, that shouldn't be his prime reason.

Its the Trib company he is buying, he will most likely sell the cubs or the current Trib Management will sell the cubs before he takes over.
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#11 » by Posey H8er » Mon Apr 2, 2007 10:50 pm

Cuban is actually a person that shows he wants to win.
ORL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by ORL » Tue Apr 3, 2007 12:17 am

Thing about Cuban is that he grew up a fan of a division rival (Pirates). Nonetheless, there's a guy that actually knows what he's doing in the world of sports, and cares about getting it done, so he's certainly at the top of my list of guys to own the team.
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#13 » by SportsWorld » Tue Apr 3, 2007 12:20 am

I saw Cuban when the Bulls played the Mavericks in January at the UC sign a couple of posters that said "Cuban buy the Cubs" He has shown interest in us.
Another good possibility is Donald Trump.

BUT PLEASE GOD NOT THE HAWKS OWNER :pray: :pray:
CubsnBud
Sophomore

Post#14 » by CubsnBud » Tue Apr 3, 2007 3:46 am

YEAH HOOOO!!!!! give it up!!! the cubs are going to be OWNED instead of MARKETED! (hopefully). lets hear it for wrigley gum company or budweiser beer!! the milwaukee rivalry would be great with bud vs miller!!
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#15 » by SportsWorld » Tue Apr 3, 2007 3:49 am

Welcome to RealGM CubsnBud :)
Professor Frink
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,958

Post#16 » by Professor Frink » Tue Apr 3, 2007 8:23 pm

I also read that Colangelo is interested in the Cubs. He's another good sports owner.
Do you know where you're going to spend eternity? You're going to spend it with me, talking about Jesus Christ.
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#17 » by SportsWorld » Tue Apr 3, 2007 8:48 pm

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-070402cubssale-story,1,7165597.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines
Cuban looks to be a potential bidder:
The list of prospective buyers is expected to include well-known sports figures such as Jerry Colangelo, a Chicago Heights native who was managing partner of the Arizona Diamondbacks when they won the 2001 World Series. Also among the likely bidders is Mark Cuban, the brash technology entrepreneur who sits courtside and jaws with officials as owner of the Dallas Mavericks NBA team.

Yet Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig, in a visit to U.S. Cellular Field on Monday for the White Sox opener, indicated he would prefer to find a local buyer.

"Whenever you can find viable local ownership, that's a good thing. A very good thing," Selig said. The Comcast investment "will probably get sold right along with the ballclub," Selig added.

Local bidders may include Don Levin, the owner of minor-league hockey's Chicago Wolves who made an offer for the Cubs last fall. Andy McKenna, the septuagenarian Chicago civic leader who served as chairman of the Cubs early in the Tribune Co. ownership, is mentioned as capable of putting together an investor group. Chris Reyes, chief executive of privately owned Reyes Holdings, might consider a minority position in the Cubs, sources said.

[/url]
Robert23
Starter
And1: 18

Post#18 » by Robert23 » Tue Apr 3, 2007 8:54 pm

Professor Frink wrote:I also read that Colangelo is interested in the Cubs. He's another good sports owner.

He seems like a good owner in the short run but was he still in charge of the diamondbacks when they started cutting costs? I'm not a big fan of the marlins and diamondbacks philosphy of win a WS then cut costs. Although if thats gets the Cubs I'll gladly take it but I'd prefer they always try and stay in contention even after winning the world series.
Posey H8er
RealGM

Post#19 » by Posey H8er » Tue Apr 3, 2007 9:35 pm

SportsWorld wrote:I saw Cuban when the Bulls played the Mavericks in January at the UC sign a couple of posters that said "Cuban buy the Cubs" He has shown interest in us.
Another good possibility is Donald Trump.

BUT PLEASE GOD NOT THE HAWKS OWNER :pray: :pray:

"Donald Trump" and "sports owner" do not sound good together.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,701

Post#20 » by nitetrain8603 » Wed Apr 4, 2007 1:49 am

Robert23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

He seems like a good owner in the short run but was he still in charge of the diamondbacks when they started cutting costs? I'm not a big fan of the marlins and diamondbacks philosphy of win a WS then cut costs. Although if thats gets the Cubs I'll gladly take it but I'd prefer they always try and stay in contention even after winning the world series.

Colangelo had to cut costs just like the Marlins though. Fans don't show up, which means less revenue is had to pump back into the team. Both teams didn't even sell out the World Series if I was correct.

Return to Chicago Cubs