Source: Favre has 'itch' to ditch retirement, report to camp

Moderator: bwgood77

magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Source: Favre has 'itch' to ditch retirement, report to camp 

Post#1 » by magicfan4life05 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 8:20 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3471189

With his family "tugging" on him to play, Brett Favre has an "itch" to come out of retirement and report to training camp with the Green Bay Packers later this month, according to sources close to the team and player.

Favre has communicated his potential desire to coach Mike McCarthy but talks have not advanced to a substantive stage, a Packers source said.

The source said the Packers would be reluctant to open the door for Favre because "Brett retired for the right reasons, even though I know his family is tugging on him [to play]."

Another source conceded Favre was "getting the itch" to play football in 2008.

However, Favre's agent downplayed the likelihood that the quarterback could un-retire or that he was prepared to report to camp July 28.

"As far as I know, right now, Brett Favre is retired and until he tells me something different, that's what it is," James "Bus" Cook, Favre's agent, said.

Favre was unavailable for comment. A Packers spokesman said that McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson were on vacation.

Favre has two years remaining on his contract at an average of about $12.5 million per season. His salary is not currently counting toward the salary cap because the Packers placed him on the reserve-retired list.

sooo will it happen?
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Re: Source: Favre has 'itch' to ditch retirement, report to camp 

Post#2 » by Buck You » Wed Jul 2, 2008 8:28 pm

This won't go anywhere. Brett loves his name in the news and probably just wanted to see it in the news again.
magicfan4life05
RealGM

Post#3 » by magicfan4life05 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 8:46 pm

I don't know,

I really want to see him play again, but won't anyone think of the madden curse in all this?

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,263

Post#4 » by Mags FTW » Wed Jul 2, 2008 9:01 pm

If you guys are really interested in this topic you should just come over to the Packer board. I just typed a bunch of breaking news in there. Basically:
Favre has been asking if he can come back.

The Packers have said no.

Favre now wants to be released.
magicfan4life05
RealGM

Post#5 » by magicfan4life05 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 9:06 pm

Mags FTW wrote:If you guys are really interested in this topic you should just come over to the Packer board. I just typed a bunch of breaking news in there. Basically:
Favre has been asking if he can come back.

The Packers have said no.

Favre now wants to be released.

WOW

Comet
Veteran
And1: 8

Post#6 » by Comet » Wed Jul 2, 2008 9:12 pm

I say either trade him or keep him in retirement.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#7 » by meatball sub » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:08 pm

Good for the Packers if they said "no". This is a very selfish move on Favre's part. Aaron Rodgers may not be anything spectacular, but it's now his job and he shouldn't have to deal with this year after year. Let the kid start his career, Brett...
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#8 » by Wizards2Lottery » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:35 pm

OMFG!!! NO WAY!!!!!!!!

FAVRE IS TRYING TO BE A DRAMA QUEEN?????
KCBen
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#9 » by KCBen » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:53 pm

From what I've been told by numerous people it seems if he writes the NFL and asks to get out of retirement it is then on the Packers end to take him back. If the Packers say no (which is being reported as of happening), then he is possible Free Agent. Packers couldn't trade him, he would have the ability to walk.

Then it would come down to what teams wants him. I could picture franchises like the Bears, Chiefs, Vikings, etc. being very interested in him.
SWIFTSLICK
Banned User

Post#10 » by SWIFTSLICK » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:59 pm

This isn't just selfish it's pathetic. Aaron Rodgers should drive down to Kiln, MS and punch Brett in the gonads. Stop dragging this kids career through the mud. How will he ever be able to forge his own way if "the ghost" keeps popping up every five minutes to go "OOGA BOOGA!". This isn't about the team, it's all about Brett's ego. Shame on you Brett. Have the balls to back up your own promise.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#11 » by Buck You » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:04 am

Packersnews.com

Favre’s only response so far was a brief text message to the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun-Herald. When asked by the paper about the report, Favre said, “It’s all rumor.” When asked about a possible media firestorm, Favre said, “No reason for it.”
UrbanLegendMD
General Manager
And1: 11

Post#12 » by UrbanLegendMD » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:40 am

I can't handle any more Brett Favre retirement ESPN specials.
First the federal government borrowed money; then gave the money to Bank of America; then I borrowed some of that money from Bank of America and gave it to the federal government; then the federal government gave the money back to Bank of America.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#13 » by Icness » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:58 pm

If he comes back, the Packers hold his rights. If they don't want him, they will be forced to waive him. That means he hits the waiver wire, so any team can claim him. The waiver order is based on worst-best records, so MIA gets first crack, then STL, and so forth.

I had a brief email exchange with a guy at Pro Football Weekly, here is the crux:
Favre is feeling out the Packers, and the Packers don't want him back, they are ready to move on. Favre will not play for another team because he only would come back to a legit contender, but non-contenders like the Jets and Bears would absolutely claim him.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#14 » by Da Schwab » Thu Jul 3, 2008 3:33 pm

Icness wrote:If he comes back, the Packers hold his rights. If they don't want him, they will be forced to waive him. That means he hits the waiver wire, so any team can claim him. The waiver order is based on worst-best records, so MIA gets first crack, then STL, and so forth.

I had a brief email exchange with a guy at Pro Football Weekly, here is the crux:
Favre is feeling out the Packers, and the Packers don't want him back, they are ready to move on. Favre will not play for another team because he only would come back to a legit contender, but non-contenders like the Jets and Bears would absolutely claim him.

If Brett Favre put on a Bears uniform, everyone in the state of Wisconsin would have their head's explode.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#15 » by deeney0 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 3:54 pm

I've always thought Brett keeps coming back because it's harder to get your hands on painkillers when the team doctors aren't feeding them to you by the bottle full.
LakerFanMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#16 » by LakerFanMan » Thu Jul 3, 2008 6:09 pm

He's not comming back.
Mr Smoke Weed
Sophomore

Post#17 » by Mr Smoke Weed » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:41 pm

Da Schwab wrote:
Icness wrote:If Brett Favre put on a Bears uniform, everyone in the state of Wisconsin would have their head's explode.

as a bears fan id despise something like this happening
stay retired mr. farve
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#18 » by Worm Guts » Tue Jul 8, 2008 5:09 pm

bove310 wrote:Good for the Packers if they said "no". This is a very selfish move on Favre's part. Aaron Rodgers may not be anything spectacular, but it's now his job and he shouldn't have to deal with this year after year. Let the kid start his career, Brett...

If Favre wants to play and is still capable, I don't see how it's selfish. He's supposed to sit out because it might hurt Aaron Rodgers feelings? Please.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#19 » by Icness » Tue Jul 8, 2008 5:29 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
bove310 wrote:Good for the Packers if they said "no". This is a very selfish move on Favre's part. Aaron Rodgers may not be anything spectacular, but it's now his job and he shouldn't have to deal with this year after year. Let the kid start his career, Brett...

If Favre wants to play and is still capable, I don't see how it's selfish. He's supposed to sit out because it might hurt Aaron Rodgers feelings? Please.

I would agree with that assessment in February or March, but not in July. He forced the team to move on without him; now he wants them to scrap all their offseason work so he can maybe come back if the mood strikes him more than two days in a row.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#20 » by Worm Guts » Tue Jul 8, 2008 6:05 pm

Icness wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

I would agree with that assessment in February or March, but not in July. He forced the team to move on without him; now he wants them to scrap all their offseason work so he can maybe come back if the mood strikes him more than two days in a row.

If they don't want him, they can waive him, or they can have an open competition for the spot. He's not ruining anything for the Packers, he's just giving them options. It may be a tough situation to deal with from a PR standpoint or with consideration to Aaron Rodgers' ego but nothing I would consider important.

Return to The General NFL Board