51%

Total votes: 51

Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Re: Super Bowl 43: Pittsburgh Steelers vs Arizona Cardinals 

Post#21 » by Latrell » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:37 pm

I like Arizona. They remind me of the 06 Colts. Fizzled a bit at the end of the season and there were huge question marks about certain aspects of their game( run D etc) but they got hot at the right time and their team just clicked.

The Colts run D was horrible back then, the Jags rushed for 300+ yds in a game against them that year and teams opposing RBs owned them every game and they went into the playoffs facing the leagues leading rusher Larry Johnson. LJ only ran for like 35 yards and the Colts won. The Cards went into the playoffs with a similar problem, facing Michael Turner the 2nd leading rusher in the league, they stopped him and won the game.

Back in 06 the Colts' 2nd round opponent was the #2 seeded 13-3 Baltimore Ravens- a team with a crazy defense and a solid running game as is typical of any Ravens team. People were saying we got lucky with KC and Larry had a bad game but surely the Colts would lose in freezing ,windy Baltimore against that tough running game and one the top ranked Ds in the league. The Colts bottom ranked D outplayed the Ravens top ranked D and Indy won the game 15-6 on all FGs. Now this year the Cards' 2nd rd opponent was the 12-4 #2 seeded Carolina- just like the 06 Ravens a team built around defense and a running attack. People were saying Arizona was lucky in facing a rookie QB at home and that the experienced vet Kurt Warner just had too many weapons, but all that would end when he has Julius Peppers and Jon Beason etc to deal with and that Carolina's two headed running game would crush them. Well exactly the opposite happened. Warner was fantastic and Arizona's D heavily outplayed Carolina's.

In the Conference Championship,the Colts faced the Pats and more people were starting to become believers in the Colts after the KC and Ravens games, but generally people were on the Belichek/Brady side. The Colts won in a thriller. This year the Cards faced the Eagles and again, some people were starting to believe in the Cardinals but most were on the Philly side. Philly loses a close one 32-25

Now the Super Bowl- back in 06 the Colts were facing the leagues TOP D - the Chicago Bears and now in 2009, the Cardinals go up against the league's TOP D- the Pittsburgh Steelers. I think Pittsburgh D is very good. But I think the Cardinals are as well equipped as any to deal with them. Certainly better equipped than the Ravens for instance. The Ravens passing game was beyond brutal last night, Flacco was making blind throws, ovethrows, underthrows, INTs, you name it...to be fair he doesn't have much to work with but still. Pittsburgh's o-line is still trash..don't listen to Phil Simms, the PIT o-line sucks, they are really winning in spite of them I mean sure, Ben completed more than half his passes and threw no picks but he was still knocked down on almost every play, the Ravens had a bad day all around but they still got to big ben enough times and he was on his ass alot.
I just like the Cardinal's momentum right now...so many parralels to the 06 Colts..

Also I really hope Edgerrin James has a good game and the Cards win...the Edge is one of my all time favorite player, I loved him as a Colt and silently wept for him when we won the Super Bowl w/o him.. He has his chance now with Arizona I hope he gets it. And how sweet it would be for Ken Whisenhunt to beat his former team.

Man I cant wait this should be an awesome game.
NoSkyy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#22 » by NoSkyy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:40 pm

I hope Boldin plays.
GenericUsername
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#23 » by GenericUsername » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:01 pm

Boldin is a big baby, spotlight is on Fitz and he doesn't like that. STFU Boldin and don't distract your team you idiot. [/rant]
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#24 » by studcrackers » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:11 am

Basketball Jesus wrote:
tomgugliottamvp wrote:I want the Cardinals. Everyone does.

I don't.

Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#25 » by deeney0 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:14 am

I was certain about the over last year and was woefully mistaken. Now, the under looks particularly tempting - once bitten, twice shy. And if this is indeed a high scoring game, I think that favors the Cards. I'll take them by a touchdown, 35-28.
Rooster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11

Post#26 » by Rooster » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:29 am

I'm taking the Steelers, but picking against the Cardinals hasn't helped me thusfar.
Schadenfreude wrote:Not going to lie, if I found out that one of the seemingly illiterate morons we'd banned on the Raptors board was Primoz Brezec, it'd pretty much make my decade.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,583

Post#27 » by hermes » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:23 pm

i'm going with the cards
3manWeave
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#28 » by 3manWeave » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:43 pm

im goin with the cardinals...if they get the offense going, spells trouble for pitt
Canomad
Banned User
And1: 69

Post#29 » by Canomad » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:41 am

im going with the steelers cuz i reside in Pittsburgh. larry fitzgerald does scare me though as a steeler fan.
darobster17
Sixth Man

Post#30 » by darobster17 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:21 am

EA's simulation has predicted the final score to be 28-24 Pittsburgh...It would not surprise me if the final score be 27-20 screwing the people who took the Steelers and the people who bet on the O/U...

Defense wins championships but you've got to be somewhat worried if Ken Whisenhunt used to be the part of the coaching staff when Cower was there. It could be like Gruden against the Raiders all over again but the biggest test is gonna be the Arizona's defense vs. Pittsburgh offense.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,042

Post#31 » by Pharmcat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:13 pm

this will be a joke...pitt in a blowout...
MaryvalesFinest
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#32 » by MaryvalesFinest » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:59 pm

Pharmcat wrote:this will be a joke...pitt in a blowout...

Same thing the media said about when the Cards played the Falcons, Panthers and Eagles.
Shuttlesworth
Starter
And1: 7

Post#33 » by Shuttlesworth » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:13 pm

this will be a joke...cards in a blowout...

see how easy that is?
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,414

Post#34 » by SD2042 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:03 am

Steelers to win.
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by timd1218 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:54 pm

Steelers win. Defense wins championships.

Steelers defense >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Arizona's defense.
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,042

Post#36 » by Pharmcat » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:12 pm

MaryvalesFinest wrote:

Same thing the media said about when the Cards played the Falcons, Panthers and Eagles.

the steelers D will own the AZ offense....and the Pitt O will be running all over Cards weak D

this will be probably over by halftime
kNiCk_PriDe
Assistant Coach
And1: 86

Post#37 » by kNiCk_PriDe » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:40 pm

http://www.prosportspress.com/football_ ... eview.html

With another Super Bowl Sunday upon us, it’s time to get the snacks out, set up the HD, sit back, relax, and watch the game.

The surprising Arizona Cardinals led by the resurgent Kurt Warner are looking to surprise the sports world by defeating the odds-on favorite Pittsburgh Steelers. The Steelers are no pushovers and as hard as it may seem for the Cardinals to beat them, they have the Giants’ miracle run to win the super bowl to inspire them.

No one outside of New York believed the Giants had a chance at beating the undefeated New England Patriots, but miracles do happen. The stars sometimes do align, and catches like the one David Tyree made sometimes do happen.

That’s what’s great about the Super Bowl. It’s true. Anything really can happen. It’s become sort of a cliché, but the term ‘any given Sunday’ rings true. The Super bowl isn’t a series of games. It’s one game. Winner takes all. Whether you win or lose, you’re remembered forever. The super bowl is when legends are made, or when frauds are exposed.

So what’s the deal this year? Well like we said, anything can happen, but there are always some educated predictions you can make and game plans you can determine.

The keys for the Steelers:

Kurt Warner is a great quarter back that controls the game, uses his head, is a great passer, and he’s been there before, but he can get flustered when hurried in the pocket. Look for the Steelers to bring the blitz to try to take Warner out of the game.

The Steelers’ defense is the key to this game. If they are able to contain Warner, Larry Fitzgerald in the deep, and Anquan Boldin, it’s safe to say the Steelers will come out on top.

A super bowl performance by the defensive line, and the secondary is essential.

Even with their sturdy defense, you can only contain the Cardinals so much. The Steelers will have to put a decent amount of points on the board. The health of Hines Ward, and efficiency of Ben Roethlisberger are key to bring another super bowl trophy to Pittsburgh.

The keys for the Cardinals:

If the offensive line performs, Arizona has a chance. If they don’t, forget about it. It’s as simple as that. With the Steelers’ defense all over them, the Cardinals will get a few opportunities here and there, and they have to take advantage of them. Anquan Boldin may be the key piece as Fitzgerald will be covered like light attracts moths.

Edgerrin James bringing his A-game is also very important. How much the Cardinals use him in the offense Sunday remains to be seen, but he’s shown that when he’s healthy and given a good amount of carries, he can still be effective. He actually averaged the highest yards per carry he’s had in three years.

The Cardinals also have to clear up any internal misconceptions or problems they may have had, but I’m confident they took care of everything, and are ready for the biggest game of their lives.

Fitzgerald volunteering to restructure his contract to accommodate Boldin creates good-will between the receivers and Boldin and the franchise. I’m sure it wouldn’t have been a problem because Boldin is a professional preparing for the biggest game of his career, but it only helps.

Pro Sports Press-Super Bowl Prediction:

The Steelers make all the necessary stops and Ben Roethlisberger comes up big, resulting in the Steelers scoring enough points to come through with the their second super bowl win in four years.

Arizona Cardinals-(17) Pittsburgh Steelers-(21)

http://www.prosportspress.com/football_ ... eview.html
~kNiCk PriDe~
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#38 » by studcrackers » Sun Feb 1, 2009 11:56 am

Pharmcat wrote:
MaryvalesFinest wrote:

the steelers D will own the AZ offense....and the Pitt O will be running all over Cards weak D

this will be probably over by halftime

is this the same cardinals d that's held brian westbrook, deangelo williams and michael turner in check? yea, i doubt the steelers will roll over the cardinals defense. if the steelers win the TO battle, they'll probably win the game because field position will be key and it's not like the steelers are great at moving the ball

and if anybody's interested i just wrote an article up regarding the superbowl and stuff surrounding it
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#39 » by Posey H8er » Sun Feb 1, 2009 4:10 pm

Gamed day is here!
DaDragicShow
Banned User

Post#40 » by DaDragicShow » Sun Feb 1, 2009 4:29 pm

Lets go Cardinals, F*CK the steelers they can't win against our offense and they know it.

Return to The General NFL Board