51%

Total votes: 51

Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Re: Super Bowl 43: Pittsburgh Steelers vs Arizona Cardinals 

Post#481 » by Da Schwab » Mon Feb 2, 2009 9:46 pm

Pharmcat wrote:just for discussion sake....and i know you always want to put points up when you are down....but should fitz have downed himself near the goalline instead of scoring, and then burn as much clock as they could to give pitt less time of driving? just food for thought

No. That's a b*tch move in my mind, that's not good football.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#482 » by High 5 » Mon Feb 2, 2009 9:52 pm

It's also a dumb move when you're down. Especially against a great defense and when your run game is less than spectacular. That should only cross your mind when you're winning. Even then I say no.
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#483 » by casey » Mon Feb 2, 2009 10:16 pm

J.Kim wrote:
Da Schwab wrote:Madden was right last night, Harrison should've been ejected for that play.

Anyway, that was an amazing game, still not better than last year's (which will always be my #1), but one helluva game. I'm actually kinda happy the Cards didn't win, because I didn't want Warner to get the MVP.

Had the Cardinals been able to stop the Steelers on that last drive, I don't know if Warner would have won the MVP.

I personally think it would've went to Fitzgerald (who opened up the passing game in the 2nd half) or Dockett (Solid in the first half, wreaked havoc in the backfield in the second half)

Fitzgerald would've definitely got it.

Pharmcat wrote:just for discussion sake....and i know you always want to put points up when you are down....but should fitz have downed himself near the goalline instead of scoring, and then burn as much clock as they could to give pitt less time of driving? just food for thought

If you're down by 2, with like a minute left, then you can go down. But when you're down 4 with like 3 minutes left, you don't.
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
CJ_18
Assistant Coach
And1: 35

Post#484 » by CJ_18 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 12:45 am

Just found something EXTREMELY interesting..

Antrel Rolle is the reason Harrison ran the ball all the way back for the touchdown. Antrel Rolle

You may think that is not possible because Antrel Rolle is on the Arizona DEFENSE, when the offense was the unit on the field chasing Harrison. But watch this:

Everybody knows if Larry Fitzgerald could've gotten to Harrison a split second earlier, Harrison probably would NOT have got the ball into the endzone, as he barely did. But Fitzgerald really should've brought him down much earlier than the goal line:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odXLJPsK ... re=related

Now keep your eyes on the bottom left part of the screen at :30, where you will see Larry Fitzgerald come into the picture. He runs down the sideline- at one point even going out of bounds-which is where this occurs. Keep your eyes on Fitzgerald chasing Harrison.

You will see him go out of bounds, and at :32, Larry runs into Antrel Rolle, #21 of the Cardinals, a by-stander, somebody not on the field, which makes Larry stop and start running again, which pretty much costs the Cards 7 points, and ultimately you could argue the super bowl.
MadCityBucky
General Manager
And1: 11

Post#485 » by MadCityBucky » Tue Feb 3, 2009 12:52 am

:) Can't really blame him for that, though I guess he could've made a better (or any) attempt at moving away from the play.

All the blame goes to Warner and Wissenhunt (does he call the plays?) for the throw(and pathetic attempt at a tackle) and horrible play.

A HB draw would've done the trick.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#486 » by Celtics_Champs » Tue Feb 3, 2009 1:17 am

Nah you don't fall down at the one when your down. Always take the points. That's the type of stuff people do in madden. The only time I remember that being done is Westbrook last year against the cowboys, but they were already up.
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#487 » by J.Kim » Tue Feb 3, 2009 1:24 am

CJ_18 wrote:Just found something EXTREMELY interesting..

Antrel Rolle is the reason Harrison ran the ball all the way back for the touchdown. Antrel Rolle

You may think that is not possible because Antrel Rolle is on the Arizona DEFENSE, when the offense was the unit on the field chasing Harrison. But watch this:

Everybody knows if Larry Fitzgerald could've gotten to Harrison a split second earlier, Harrison probably would NOT have got the ball into the endzone, as he barely did. But Fitzgerald really should've brought him down much earlier than the goal line:

Now keep your eyes on the bottom left part of the screen at :30, where you will see Larry Fitzgerald come into the picture. He runs down the sideline- at one point even going out of bounds-which is where this occurs. Keep your eyes on Fitzgerald chasing Harrison.

You will see him go out of bounds, and at :32, Larry runs into Antrel Rolle, #21 of the Cardinals, a by-stander, somebody not on the field, which makes Larry stop and start running again, which pretty much costs the Cards 7 points, and ultimately you could argue the super bowl.

He ran out of bounds. If you run out of bounds as a defensive player, you're supposed to come immediately back in if you're making a tackle. Fitzgerald spent a good deal of time out of bounds, running down the sideline.

I'm fairly sure thats how the rule goes...
High 5
RealGM

Post#488 » by High 5 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 1:40 am

If Fitzgerald did tackle him they could have probably called a penalty. Running out of bounds for that long is cheap. I blame Kurt Warner for not even slowing him up (not to mention the horrible throw). Swallow your pride and just fall down. The worst that would happen is you get a tripping penalty with less than 10 seconds left.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,010

Post#489 » by Pharmcat » Tue Feb 3, 2009 2:36 am

i still will say that the cards overcame that INT....the D flaws in the last drive IMO were more criminal....i mean how could they not have the corners of the endzone covered?
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,193

Post#490 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Feb 3, 2009 5:58 am

i'm glad lynn swan and troy polamalu helped the steelers become the #1 franchise in the national football league.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
High 5
RealGM

Post#491 » by High 5 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 6:05 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:i'm glad lynn swan and troy polamalu helped the steelers become the #1 franchise in the national football league.

The Steelers are lucky the Cards kept Matt Leinart on the bench. Best USC QB ever. It's just not fair.
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#492 » by J.Kim » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:00 pm

High 5 wrote:
LAKESHOW wrote:i'm glad lynn swan and troy polamalu helped the steelers become the #1 franchise in the national football league.

The Steelers are lucky the Cards kept Matt Leinart on the bench. Best USC QB ever. It's just not fair.

Indeed. Deuce Lutui single-handedly brought them back in to the game, and if it was Matt Leinart as QB instead of Warner, it would have been game over for Pittsburgh.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#493 » by jman3134 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 11:08 pm

I'm hoping that these are jokes. Anyway, while I did feel that the calls down the stretch were fine and the Steelers rightfully came away with the win in the second half, I thought the first half was clearly a biasedly called game. Tic tac calls got the Steelers down the field and that lead.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#494 » by studcrackers » Wed Feb 4, 2009 2:58 am

well then those tic tac calls carried on over into the 3rd quarter
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#495 » by contract » Wed Feb 4, 2009 12:17 pm

jman3134 wrote: I thought the first half was clearly a biasedly called game. Tic tac calls got the Steelers down the field and that lead.

Extremely biased. Like when they overturned Ben's rushing TD. :roll:
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,010

Post#496 » by Pharmcat » Fri Feb 6, 2009 3:17 am

nfl admitted 15 yds shouldve been charged for holmes celebration
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,193

Post#497 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:20 am

CJ_18 wrote:Just found something EXTREMELY interesting..

interesting point. but if matt leinart is in there, warner doesnt have a chance to choke in such a crucial situation, and the cards win the game. as it was, with zero seconds left in the half, the steelers seal the deal and give them the spread needed to win the game.

warner is a choker.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions

Return to The General NFL Board