Some random tidbits

Moderator: bwgood77

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Some random tidbits 

Post#1 » by Icness » Fri Feb 6, 2009 8:54 pm

None of these really merit their own threads but I find them interesting and kinda important...

--Larry Johnson will either be traded or cut by the Chiefs. And nobody believes anyone will pay his current salary, which means he's likely to be released.

--I heard from a reliable bird that LT is softening his stance and will consider redoing his deal to stay in SD. He might have to change agents in order to do that, so it's still up in the air.

--Cleveland is actively shopping Derek Anderson, with the current asking price a 2nd rounder or two 3rds. I have a hard time believing they won't get that.

--Cleveland will be in the market for a veteran backup QB/Quinn mentor who sucks less than Ken Dorsey. They also are strongly looking at adding a power back and would break the bank for Brandon Jacobs. Jamal Lewis will not be back.

--Detroit is going to release Leigh Bodden and Mike Furrey. Both of those guys are useful and will get lots of attention on the free market. Look for Houston to aggressively pursue Bodden, who was a terrible Tampa-2 fit but plays with the gambling aggression the Texans sorely need. Furrey will make someone a nice #3/#4 wideout and special teamer. He could wind up in Cleveland or Seattle.

--Cassel will be non-exlcusive franchised by the Pats, which means he is free to negotiate with other teams and then work out a deal, or the Pats will get two first rounders. If the Browns are asking for a 2nd for Derek Anderson, I have to think NE will get at least a 1st and 3rd for Cassel. No idea on the suitors yet.

--Carolina is going to do the same with Julius Peppers, with the intent of getting the two firsts and using them to deal to draft a QB. They LOVE Matt Stafford.

--Watch Outside the Lines on Sunday. They are doing a feature on the Texans training camp and how their OL activity violated league rules and got 3 players on IR for the year. There is loads of fire to that smoke and they could very well lose several draft picks because of it. It could ultimately cost some coaching jobs as well. The players have video of being forced into illegal contact activities.

--Jerry Jones finally extends out to precisely what the Cowboys need in Dan Reeves, a seasoned coach and talent evaluator who loves Dallas to help Jerry Jones run the ship. Then Jones insists on including some contractual language that Reeves found "insulting" and the deal blows up. That guy cannot stay out of his own freaking way and it's killing the Cowboys. Reeves said in one interview they are 50/50 on dumping TO, and in another spot on Sirius NFL Radio he said they "badly" want another starting-caliber QB to force Romo to either step up or ship out. Sure sounds like they need Reeves worse than anyone thinks.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Re: Some random tidbits 

Post#2 » by Basketball Jesus » Fri Feb 6, 2009 11:52 pm

I would love to see Bodden in a Pats uni but I'd imagine the team is in some dire restructuring if they plan on keeping Cassel next season.

Any word on McNabb? I've heard some grumblings that he's pretty much on the outs with a lot of teammates and that's going to factor into him moving (no, for real this time, I swear) this offseason.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#3 » by Da Schwab » Sat Feb 7, 2009 12:01 am

I'm praying that Brandon Jacobs picks home and stability over a fat contract from a team like the Browns. I truly believe he's a better person than that.

Could you give me more details on the whole Texans fiasco?
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#4 » by Celtics_Champs » Sat Feb 7, 2009 4:59 am

Good stuff.

I look forward to icness tidbit threads, like I used to look forward to when gammons did his diamond notes for free.

A first and a third would be awesome for cassel.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,813

Post#5 » by Rafael122 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 6:48 pm

So Jerry feels burned that he gave Romo big money after playing good for what...half a year? Hilarious.

I'm glad the Redskins didn't do this with Campbell.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#6 » by chrbal » Sat Feb 7, 2009 7:23 pm

What day is "cut day"? I watch the Lions (wouldn't call myself a fan, I just live in Michigan) and I am curious to see just how many players get cut from the 0-for all them season.
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#7 » by casey » Sat Feb 7, 2009 9:52 pm

Da Schwab wrote:I'm praying that Brandon Jacobs picks home and stability over a fat contract from a team like the Browns. I truly believe he's a better person than that.

Could you give me more details on the whole Texans fiasco?

lol, what?
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,977

Post#8 » by Manhattan Project » Sun Feb 8, 2009 12:05 am

Any news on Michael Huff? Apparently the Raiders are going to cut him. Can he even play in this league?
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#9 » by magicfan4life05 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 5:19 pm

Thanks for the info.

I'm curious to see what's going to happen with Arizona.

They are coming off of a Superbowl loss but a magical season. Boldin is trying to get traded and get a new contract and he's already started with the "Relationship with Cards irreparable" talk.

They already lost their OC to the Chiefs. They just recently fired their DC. Edgerrin James will probably be released/cut soon.

Oh and by the yeah, there's still a big chance Warner might retire. yikes!!

So for a team coming off of a great year, they will have many changes going into next season. I really think they need to keep Boldin. He's still one of their top players and produces similarly to what Fitzgerald does, but just not as flashy. Even though they have Breaston, I don't think their offense will be as great as it was w/ Boldin.

Any word on where he might land?

Giants? Eagles? ( I remember reading last year Eagles tried to go after Fitz w/ a trade before he restructured his contract, so maybe this time to go after Boldin now)

If Boldin ends up in NY, I would have to think Plax is out since he'd be there to replace him.

BTW what's the deal with TJ Houshmanzadeh? He was on ESPN radios in different cities practically saying he wanted to join that citys' team ie Bears, Philly

He most definitely wants out of Cincy, and Shefter reported they WOULD NOT franchise him to keep him but I recently read yesterday they might just do that.

Regarding the Cassel situation, Mortensen reported yesterday Cassel accepted the tender (no surprise) and today Schefter is reporting this:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/07/cassel- ... w-england/

Cassel signs $14.65M franchise tender

Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Matt Cassel, New England Patriots, Tom Brady

Now that QB Matt Cassel has signed his $14.65 million non-exclusive franchise tender — the largest guarantee on a one-year contract in the history of the NFL — some around the league believe it’s 95 percent that he remains in New England.

The only way the Patriots would trade Cassel is if they know QB Tom Brady is healthy, and even if they do, the bidder needs to be to Cassel’s liking and offer a contract to his liking, or there’s no deal.

That’s not to say it can’t happen. But it’s not going to be easy to make it happen.

This could get interesting!!

And last...... but most certainly not least (how could we forget)

Brett Favre!!......apparently Peter King was the espn radio last week and he said he thinks Favre only wants to play next season if it's with the Vikings. You're probably thinking...didn't the Packers put some clause to say if he gets traded to the Vikings the Packers receive additional picks from the Jets.

Well that's true, but then King mentioned Favre might try to draw out his decision process (gee where have we seen before??) and force the Jets to release him so they can figure out who to keep b/c of their cap situation, so they are in a much different situation than the Packers last year since the Jets are over/ near the cap limit..

Unlike the Jets, the Packers were so far under the cap, they could take their time to see what Favre would do b/c their cap wasn't so dependent on his decision. But now, the Jets don't have that luxury, and have to make a decision sooner regarding their players and cap situation.

So if he's' cut...hes a FA and can sign w/ the Vikings!!

GET YOUR POPCORN READY!!!! :D
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#10 » by J.Kim » Sun Feb 8, 2009 9:00 pm

What a cunniving, two-faced jackass.
I just might have to boycott sports news and sports websites all summer to avoid that jackass completely.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#11 » by studcrackers » Sun Feb 8, 2009 9:12 pm

even my blog :cry:
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#12 » by Wizards2Lottery » Mon Feb 9, 2009 12:05 am

I hate Favre so much.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,085

Post#13 » by High 5 » Mon Feb 9, 2009 12:22 am

Who doesn't love Matt Stafford?
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,584

Post#14 » by hermes » Mon Feb 9, 2009 3:57 am

farve you stay away from Minnesota!
Celticsfan93
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#15 » by Celticsfan93 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:55 pm

I hate Brett Favre
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#16 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:36 am

I watched that OTL piece on the Texans; fascinating stuff. My questions:

1. What's Dan Stevenson's role with the team? Is he even on the 53-man roster? Can they just cut him loose at any moment? The report mentioned he was still with the Texans, which confused me.

2. Is punishment by forfeiture of draft picks specifically laid out in the CBA, or would this be a case of making up a punishment to fit the crime?

3. As union rep, what's Kris Brown's role in all of this?

4. I find it somewhat surprising that Stevenson has not faced disciplinary actions for bringing in a video camera to record practice film; that seems like something an NFL team would greatly frown upon. What's the policy with the handling of film and how does it vary from team to team?

5. Are we to assume that this is consistent practice among NFL training camps and that coaches are even more evil than previously believed?
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.

Return to The General NFL Board