NFL Wheelings and Dealings

Moderator: bwgood77

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Re: NFL Wheelings and Dealings 

Post#101 » by Icness » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:40 pm

Munchlaxatives wrote:Icness, what could you possibly see in Carr that makes you think he'll be successful? He has a piss poor work ethic and admitted he never once threw a football before mini-camp while in Houston, never worked a second more than the minimum required, and admitted football wasn't a priority.

I think he has matured and accepted his career for what it is. He's got a great arm and very good intermediate accuracy. As long as he gets protection her's a major upgrade over Alex Smith just in what he can do and what he did in HOU with very little to work with. I wouldn't want him starting for my team, but that doesn't mean he can't help someone in need. Good low-risk/high-reward gamble.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#102 » by Icness » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:44 pm

studcrackers wrote:icness, you heard anything from the cowboys? are they targeting a safety (perhaps otogwe from the rams?) and if so can you give me a scouting report on him

The Cowboys are being almost freakishly quiet. Some of that is Jerry being a major player in the CBA negotiations and the owner's meeting is coming up, and he is devoting a bulk of his time to that. I know they talked to Alge Crumpler but he wound up in New England. I know they have interest in Adalius Thomas, but a lot of teams do.

The Rams would match any offer to Atogwe; they let him hang out there like that so they wouldn't have to do the negotiating--let someone else set his market value, knowing teams are reluctant to spend big $$ with the impending labor issue. Smart move by Rams GM Billy Devaney.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,781

Post#103 » by Rafael122 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:22 pm

Kinda sucks the Redskins are being used by players to get better contracts elsewhere. Porter just hosed them and got an insane deal from the Cardinals. Oh well.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#104 » by Wizards2Lottery » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:12 am

Rafael122 wrote:Kinda sucks the Redskins are being used by players to get better contracts elsewhere. Porter just hosed them and got an insane deal from the Cardinals. Oh well.

or the FO is being smart and not overpaying like they have in the past. Porter would have never left DC had the old regime been in town.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#105 » by Icness » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:44 pm

Saints didn't match on Mike Bell, so he is now an Eagle

Ronnie Brown gets a DUI and it sounds like the team is increasingly frustrated with him. I know they nearly cut him when Parcells came to town, wonder if something happens on this front.

I don't like the Joey Porter move to Arizona, although he did play for Whiz in PIT so there is some familiarity. Subtract Kurt Warner and add Joey Porter = serious chemistry change.

Heard from a very reliable birdie at the owners meeting that Brandon Marshall is probably not going to be moved--nobody wants to deal with his antics and pay him the $$.

Pacman Jones could be a Lion by the end of the week. Oy :evil:
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 351

Post#106 » by Ong_dynasty » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:05 am

ICNESS- which among the Eagles qb do you expect to be moved?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#107 » by Icness » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:42 pm

Ong_dynasty wrote:ICNESS- which among the Eagles qb do you expect to be moved?

It sure sounds like Andy Reid is warming to the idea of moving McNabb. Reid is the only reason Mc5 is still there now, so I would expect Kolb to win out.

I talked to a prominent national writer earlier this week about Philly and he told me he has reason to believe they are waiting for the market for McNabb to go up more. Every time a Jimmy Clausen or Sam Bradford don't throw in workouts, McNabb's value goes up. Plus the Eagles saw what Seattle gave up for Charlie Whitehurst and that opened some eyes as to what they might expect in return.

I don't expect Vick back either, but that's just my opinion.
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach

Post#108 » by Ong_dynasty » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:29 pm

As much as I appreciate what Mcnabb has done..Im actually fine with the deals (especially if its Rams like)..
Its time for a new era..only person left is probably Sheldon Brown and with what he wants in contracts I also expect him to be traded..!!
I just hope Kolb can perform..
Nutty Nats Fan
General Manager
And1: 4,950

Post#109 » by Nutty Nats Fan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:04 pm

It is really sick how the Eagles have pretty much treated McNabb his career with them. Refused to go out and get any good receivers (besides TO), yet the coach wants to throw the ball all the time, and now that they seem to be developing some receivers they want to move McNabb. They most likely have at least 1 if not more Superbowls if they weren't running Stinkston and Trash as they main threats for a number of years.

And they might be sending him to the Raiders now? Great way to treat a guy whose been a class act despite a lot of crap (Rush, TO, poor management, etc).
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach

Post#110 » by Ong_dynasty » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:39 pm

^^^
Cry me a river please..!!!I am grateful for all McNabb has done..and I am neutral with the idea of him leaving..I look at it as ..If he stays..fair enough..if he goes..well its a new era(him and sheldon brown are the only two thats left)...

But to make it out like McNabb has been treated harshly is a jk...
Fair enough he hasnt had the best WR's..but dont make it out like the Eagles have not tried..Mitchell and Pinkston were 1st and 2nd rounders..he has also gotten a good line, Bwest, and a D to be able to win him games...He has also been paid top top dollar so please dont make it look like eagles have been treating him like crap..

I agree to an extent that maybe they Andy Reid could have done better with the WR core especially in a pass happy offense..!!but its also not like he has been with the raiders the last 10 years...

With regards to the Raiders...!!I would like him to go to a better franchise..but if they offer the best value should we just forget about it?!?! Did you complain when Richard Seymour was traded to the Raiders and how bad the Patriots treated him..

The problem is, it is still a business..it is no coincidence that well run teams tend to be the teams that let go of players 1 year to early rather than a year to late..
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach

Post#111 » by Ong_dynasty » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:41 pm

When McNabb's career is over (same with Bwest and Dawkins) I hope the eagles recognise their efforts or maybe even have roles within the team ala Hugh Douglas..but if they feel Kolb is better ( I cannot comment since I have not really seen enough )..then so be it!!I trust Andy Reid and his ability to pick QB's so..
Nutty Nats Fan
General Manager

Post#112 » by Nutty Nats Fan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:41 am

Should be noted, I am a McNabb fan. My fandom of the Eagles ends when they trade him, so I am a bit biased. You are right, they did have a great defense for a time, good O-line for a time, paid him a lot of money, but they really did a piss poor job of getting him good receivers. Most of McNabb's career, seemed like the receivers couldn't get open and couldn't catch the ball. I'm sorry, but that just pissed me off... because I wanted to see the Eagles winning and Andy Reid insisted on throwing the ball all the time even when the receivers sucked.

While I agree going for the best deal in a business move is most likely what the Eagles will do... and should, I can still hate them afterwards if they send McNabb to a team that wastes a year of his career. At least McNabb can tell any team, if he doesn't want to play for them, he won't resign. Then again, that doesn't seem like something McNabb would do either.
Wade2k6
RealGM
And1: 77

Post#113 » by Wade2k6 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:28 am

IMO they should deal him while McNabb still has some value. McNabb has shown that he can't win the big game, and this team isn't superbowl bound because they have too many holes. They need a safety, need a pass-rusher next to Trent Cole, some LB help (hopefully Bradley comes back healthy) as well as some help on the OL. Get the highest draft pick they can get for him and sure up the holes on the defensive side of the ball and let Kolb start for a year or 2 and see if he is a legitimate starting QB capable of winning games.

I'd go after Earl Thomas, Taylor Mays, or Carlos Dunlap in the first round.
Nutty Nats Fan
General Manager

Post#114 » by Nutty Nats Fan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:26 am

McNabb has shown that he can't win the big game, and this team isn't superbowl bound because they have too many holes.

Disagree there. His SB appearance didn't go as well as it could have, but I don't see where you think he has shown he can't win the big game. Unless you mean he has shown when his receivers are crap, he can carry the offense deep in to the playoffs before the lack of receiving bites the team in the ass? First three trips to the NFC Championship game shows that.

And actually with the holes on the team now, I'm going to hope they trade him to a team he can shine one. :lol:
Wade2k6
RealGM
And1: 77

Post#115 » by Wade2k6 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:48 pm

Because he has been to the conference championship game 5 times and has only won it once. Threw a INT with 2 minutes left in the game at mid-field in his first NFC championship game. In his 2nd, he brought his team down the field and threw another INT which put the game out of reach. Then when he finally got to the super-bowl he choked again on the last drive. The guy has never been able to win the big game and get the job done when it mattered.

The lack of receivers didn't make Donovan throw up in the middle of a huddle and not be able to call a play. The lack of receivers didn't stop Donovan from getting to the SB and choking. The lack of receivers did not make Donovan completely suck in this years playoffs. His time has come and gone, it's time for a change in Philly, at least IMO.
FakeScreenName123
RealGM
And1: 5,113

Post#116 » by FakeScreenName123 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:14 pm

I do not understand why San Francisco is not interested in McNabb.

Who do they have at qb right now? Why would anyone think that group would be better then McNabb? They'd win the division easily. Crabtree would benefit from it greatly likely. And its a win-win, if for some reason it doesnt work out McNabb only has 1 year on his deal so you could let him go and if he's great then he'll take your team into the postseason at least.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#117 » by chrbal » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:00 am

David Carr, Nate Davis, and Alex Smith. They clearly don't need McNabb with that much talent.

I completely agree with you, but they still seem enamored with Alex. In spite of everything, it truly is amazing what one good season will do for you.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,091
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#118 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:58 am

Ong_dynasty wrote:
But to make it out like McNabb has been treated harshly is a jk...

Are you serious? There isn't a star player that was ever less appreciated by his own fanbase.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach

Post#119 » by Ong_dynasty » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:43 pm

^^^Fanbase, I can agree to a point
But we are talking about the Eagles organization.
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach

Post#120 » by Ong_dynasty » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:48 pm

Wade2k6 wrote:Because he has been to the conference championship game 5 times and has only won it once. Threw a INT with 2 minutes left in the game at mid-field in his first NFC championship game. In his 2nd, he brought his team down the field and threw another INT which put the game out of reach. Then when he finally got to the super-bowl he choked again on the last drive. The guy has never been able to win the big game and get the job done when it mattered.

The lack of receivers didn't make Donovan throw up in the middle of a huddle and not be able to call a play. The lack of receivers didn't stop Donovan from getting to the SB and choking. The lack of receivers did not make Donovan completely suck in this years playoffs. His time has come and gone, it's time for a change in Philly, at least IMO.

*What going up against probably one of the most dominant D's is choking?(Tampa that is)
Or do you mean choking by not scoring in a drive when they were stuck in the 6 yard line with no timeouts and around 50 seconds left in the superbowl?!?!

What about last year?, even though they lost he was responsible from bringing the team back from 21pts?!?!until the D decided to choke and Curtis decided to drop a ball on 4th down..?!?!

I really find it funny how he is a choker when he probably has as good of a playoff record as any qb there is..or are you saying that not all playoff games are not big games?!?!
Could it be that the Eagles have never actually been the best team to actually win it!?!?or could it be that other players can be responsible for them losing?!?!

Return to The General NFL Board